Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 1961 Austin Mini: Take Two

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Very cool provenance

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Started taking the Downton 998 apart to get it ready for the machine shop. We were able to get everything disassembled, except for the crank, as we ran out of time. We'll get it apart next weekend.

Hoping to get some photos of the current state of the Mini tomorrow. I was also able to source some other fun bits that I hope arrive soon.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Stopped by Gunnar's today to talk about the plan for the wheel wells, underside, and rear subframe.

Paint touch up where the primer used to be. The intent was to not make it perfect, so that it will fade over time and match the rest of the car.

RHD tank hole:

On both sides you can see the rear wheel flare area. Both have had the holes filled where the flares were mounted and paint touched up. The same was done up front.

Swiftune Mirror Brackets and Bullet Mirrors:

Awhile back after the seat position was finalized, we made sure that the mounting position of the mirrors allowed me to see everything necessary.

Boot Area; the floor used to be fairly rusty. On the right side, you can see that it now has the RHD Fuel Tank brackets:

Interior; It's all installed now: The front seats have been lowered by a couple of inches, new seat belts all around. Rear seat belts were installed so that I can get my son's car seat installed back there. Where the rear seat belts would normally mount to the C pillar in a later car, a bracket has been welded onto the parcel tray and rear fire wall to insure there is enough support. Additional bracing was also put into the bottom part of the firewall where the lower seat belt mounts reside. The headliner was completely redone as well.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Looking good!

Thanks!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    wish I could make progress this quick on the Scirocco
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    wish I could make progress this quick on the Scirocco
    Just motivated to get it done and selling off other cars at the same time.

The supercharger kit showed up today. It was the last SPC1 kit that MiniSpares had for the 998. It looks like it came with everything minus the supercharger and the hose. It also came without any directions. I am fairly certain that the kit uses Opcon Autorotor twin screw supercharger, and I have one coming from Australia, so I am hoping it bolts up ok.

It looks fairly similar to this supercharger kit, which is more geared towards a 1275.

http://www.hi-flow.com/HP003aSuper.html

Here are a couple photos of the kit:

Some basic work completed today.

Removed the studs out of the head, in order to make it ready for the machine shop.

Loosened the the big ends and main cap bolts, so that there is no issue taking it off the block when it gets to the machine shop. Cleaned the gasket locations up as much as possible.

The supercharger is sitting in Seattle, so it should be delivered to my house next week hopefully. It looks like Chuck has the 1275 version of my supercharger kit still mostly assembled, which should come in handy when we start putting mine together.

Nothing too exciting for this post.

Ordered a couple of books that I should have bought long ago. They showed up a couple of weeks ago:

Went to the club's White Elephant and spent some money. Decided I needed a set of 10"x6" Minilite's and bought a box of NOS parts. I might be able to use some of them on this build. I don't know what I am going to do with the wheels, but they are in decent shape and maybe I can use them on a future project.

998 pistons and Blue Dot clutches seem to out of stock everywhere. I found some +60 dished pistons and a blue dot clutch out of a Mini site in Australia. Hoping that they actually have them in stock like the website says.

Pretty awesome to get parts from Australia, it's not something that happens very often.

Ya, had to ship the supercharger back though, too large. I did order a clutch kit and pistons from Australia as well, that just recently arrived.

+ Reply to Thread