Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 1961 Austin Mini: Take Two

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Jack stands didn't arrive until about 20 minutes ago, so I just did the small job of finishing drilling out the rivets. I also cleaned up around the old flare line. At least in my head its screaming to not put the flares back on.

Before:

After:

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Back to work, so I'm just doing small jobs as I have time. Today, I replaced the front floor rubber grommets with new ones, I'll have to give the floor a better cleaning in the future. No pics as its super dirty.

As with all of the rubber on this car for the most part, the boot lid seal was dry and cracked. I had a later style boot lid seal that goes onto the car, instead of around the boot lid. It isn't the best for Mk1 cars due to fitment, but I was able to get it to close and lock with some persuasion. I am hoping that the seal breaks down enough that it won't be too hard to close the boot.

Before:

After:

Resurfaced rotors from Autosport.

Playing around with the idea of putting extra lights up front, since I have them laying around. I like the look of them, but thinking that I probably won't do it as I would have to drill the body work.

so many things on this car seem weird by any modern car standards... interesting to see
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Ha, I guess, but I like the simplicity of it all. Plus, once you drive one of these cars, you are bitten for life.

I believe that
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    The transverse front engine / front wheel drive is very modern! There were a few before the Mini, but not many.
    “Right now, it's like this.”
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

Ya, just wish that the engine and transmission didn't share the same oil.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Ya, just wish that the engine and transmission didn't share the same oil.
    That's crazy, I never knew that.

That freaks me out too. My dirt bikes share the oil between the motor and trans, and they have wet clutches so there's friction material floating around in there too.
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

After taking a couple weeks off because of spraining my thumb, I was able to get back at it for a couple hours tonight.

Lisa started cleaning the headliner yesterday.

Before:

No afters yet, as she wants to spend more time on it.

Pulled the rear suspension out of the clubman, and pulled the front disc setup as well. I was able to pull the driver side suspension out minus the lower arm / tie bar, as its not high on my priority list right now. Tomorrow I will be pulling the radiator, so I can get to that side of the suspension easier, and I also want to swap it over to the '61.

Decided to also pull my front slam panel off on the clubman, just to see how it works, as I haven't had another Mini with that option and as far as I know, they only did it on the Australian Clubmans.

Plan for the Hi-Lo's is to remove the lock nut and cir-clip, then get the big bolt shortened 3/4", so that I can get more low!

what is the 'front panel' you speak of?

What the grill mounts to, its not removable on a standard Mini, VWs can remove it on MK2 and Mk3s, but on Minis it's all one panel.

so.. how is the grille mounted on minis without that panel?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    so.. how is the grille mounted on minis without that panel?
    That panel is usually attached to the lower panel as all one piece:

Just like that.

Mine just allows for the removal of the top piece, makes it much easier to do engine work and pull the engine.

Just had a little bit of time to work on things, slow and steady right?

Removed the radiator and hoses as they needed to come out anyways, and it makes it much easier to get to the top arm bolts.

Top arm, Hi-Lo, and rubber donut is out:

Tomorrow, I'll clean up all of the Hi-Los and disassemble them, so that I can take them over to Autosport in the coming week and see if they can cut them down 3/4" and make sure the threads are still good.

After that, the dis-assembly of the '61 coolant system and suspension should commence.

Yesterday, Lisa dropped the HiLo Adjuster Bolts off at Autosport Seattle, so that they can chop them down. I should be able to pick them up sometime next week.

Today, I removed the carb, exhaust manifold, and exhaust from the Clubman, as well as the exhaust mounts. I installed the exhaust mounts on the '61 and removed the rear suspension out of it.

Tomorrow, I'll start the process of removing the cooling system out of the '61 and the front suspension, then hopefully wrap it up on Sunday. At that point, all that will be left for the '61 is to put it back together. I'll most likely be held up by the MiniSpares order that I placed last week, as I want to replace the water pump while everything is apart.

It appears these things breed just like Rabbits!
    ― Ajahn Sumedho

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    It appears these things breed just like Rabbits!
    Ha ha, I was at Autosport Seattle today and the guy commented that it seems like I "have it bad". It is definitely turning into an addiction of all things Mini.

Sunday, I finished pulling the front suspension. The left side HiLo would not come apart from the rubber donut as they had basically rusted together. After about 30-40 minutes of beating on it and prying every which way, it finally came apart.

I have only ever bought the genuine HiLos and have never experienced the Ripspeed HiLos. The front of the Mini had these HiLos on them as its a pretty common fix to just get HiLos to fix the issue instead of replacing the donuts and the trumpets. I am not too impressed with the RipSpeed type as it seems that they need to be adjusted off of the car, and that creates a ton more work. Not sure what I am going to do with them, but if anyone wants them, they are welcome to them. They need a little TLC.

Today, I swung by Seattle Autosport and picked up the cut down adjuster bolts for my HiLos. It is always fun to talk with John and Brad. While I was there I picked up some Kendall 20w50 oil with zinc. Once, I got home, after spending some time with Parker, I set to work on the cooling system. I first pulled the water pump, as that was the main reason why I took everything apart. I was pretty glad that I decided to replace it, as it didn't look all that great.

The water pump that I ordered, was setup for the bypass as my Clubman had that setup, and I didn't think to check the head on the '61. It turned out that the head on the '61 was not setup for a bypass. After looking at McLendons and Lowes for the past couple of days, I came up with my own solution of cutting down some rubber hose and using a bolt to block the hole. I made sure that the bolt didn't extend into the main channel, and I just hope it holds till next year, when I swap the motor out.

As the Mk1s have the box in front of the vent on the wing, it made it rather difficult to fit the Super 2 Core radiator. I disassembled the shroud, and put it back together in the engine bay, not with a decent amount of grumbling with trying to get one of the back bolts in.

Next, I removed the thermostat housing, only to find that they just used RTV to seal it with no gasket, and just used the sleeve that racers tend to use instead of thermostats. I cleaned up everything, and replaced it with a mid range thermostat.

Now since the cooling system is back together, hopefully I can move onto re-installing the exhaust, downpipe, and carb tomorrow. That will just leave the suspension and brake system left. The 26th is a little over two weeks out and I hope I can make it...

You can do it! Great progress

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    You can do it! Great progress
    Thanks! Everything should be fine assuming that something doesn't go wrong when I replace the rear wheel cylinders or the brake master cylinder.

It's British! What could possibly go wrong?

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    It's British! What could possibly go wrong?
    True, that's why I am worried!

Finished up most of my goals for today. Installed the carb, downpipe, and exhaust. The exhaust is under a bit of tension from the rod change, so I am going to have to play around with it to try to get it to clearance a little bit. I also played around with the back end a bit, as I found a badge in a random box of parts.

Before:

After:

+ Reply to Thread