Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 1961 Austin Mini: Take Two

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Quote: Originally Posted by girdwood View Post
    Cool progress, digging those wheels too! That pedal car is awesome!
    Thanks!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Photo of the rear swaybar that Chuck finished up the install on. He also had to use a different rear exhaust hangar to mount the exhaust slightly lower to clear the swaybar.

Mounted the vintage plate

Test fitted the SSR Formula Mesh wheels. No clearance issues, but I will need to continue to run the flares.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Nice!

That's cool!
    Now, is that plate registered with the WA DMV? I think you can do that instead of running the collector vehicle plate?

Glad you mounted it in the correct spot, it almost looks like a plate was mounted above the plate tub previously? Seeing the two holes there and the paint that shows less damage?

Ya, I registered it with them before I put it on. I am pretty sure that is what someone did with a previous plate. My plan is to just fine some clear plugs to put in the holes.

A couple of parts that I have received lately.

Extended steering column bracket:

A rare early Mk1 Austin Speedometer (still need to find a fuel gauge for it):

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    That speedometer looks awesome! Kinda like an early air cooled VW one.

That would make sense as they are a similar vintage. Not sure if the Aircooled speedos were Smith ones as well?

Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    That would make sense as they are a similar vintage. Not sure if the Aircooled speedos were Smith ones as well?
    I believe they always used VDO, even pre-war.

Some accessories showed up from Swiftune. Stuff that isn't really necessary, but I thought looked cool.

Swiftune Wing Mirror Brackets and Mirrors
    Swiftune Foot Rest

I have been talking to a few places about engine components, so I should be able to start ordering engine parts in the next month or so.

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    That stuff looks awesome - totally necessary...

Thanks! I think so, but many would not. Does anyone know anyone who does fab work and would want to take on an interesting project? I am wanting to do a custom supercharger setup.

Picked up a 1275 A+ MPI short block and gearbox case from Kelley over the weekend (doesn't have a hole for a distributor, forcing me to go fuel injection ) This will cause a large cost increase in the project, but we will see how long it takes to buy the additional items.

A complete overhaul of our septic (full replacement of tank and field) and a kitchen remodel are currently delaying progress on this.

Waiting to hear back from Gunnar on when the Mini can go to him, so that is delayed as well.

Normal Member KlokWerk is on a distinguished road
    Update? Need moar!!

ha ha, I'll actually have an update soon. I started back up on the project a couple of weeks ago, just waiting on parts from the UK.

Excellent. I'm more guilty than most for starting projects then either selling it off or parting it out before I finish them.....hope that wasn't the case here!

Definitely not, though I have been guilty of the same. In this case, home renovations took precedent.

Pic of the A+ Block and Gearbox that I spoke about earlier.

More parts arrived the other day. I had a front windscreen shipped over from the UK as well (box on the right). I was pretty sure that it was going to arrive damaged in some way, but the box looked completely intact and the packaging was well done.

Tires for the SSR Formula Mesh Wheels, with my son being impressed by them.

Complete headliner kit, Battery Box and tie down, door straps, visors, wheel nuts, and dash backing for a single binnacle setup.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Cool toys... those tires look serious, what are they?

Nice pile of parts.
    Your young one looks very impressed!

YOKOHAMA A032-R 165/70/10

Stickiest tire you can get for a 10" without going for Hoosier slicks.

More forward progress.

Picked the car up from Gunnar last Sunday. He did a great job installing / fixing the following:

New Front Windscreen
    Front and Rear Windscreen Seals
    Both Quarter Window Seals
    Door Seals
    Boot Lid Seal
    Adjusted both doors
    Replaced Driver Side Door Latch
    Welded and bent front license plate bracket back into shape
    Extracted driver side radius arm cover screws
    Installed Interior C pillar trim and the trim that goes between the rear windscreen and parcel shelf, as both pieces needed to fit under the seals.

The car made it up to Gunnars and then back again without missing a beat. It is about 20 miles one way and mostly freeway, there was decent traffic on the way back home and there was no overheating or running issues.

The car is idling high, which was an issue before, but it keeps occurring, need to figure out why. The more I drive it the more oil it leaks. I am guessing it sat a good amount before I got it and it has been sitting a lot while I get things sorted out slowly. Getting the oil leaks to a minimum is the next priority. Also, I need to order a full wiring harness and take advantage of the limited interior that it has in it.

It will then go back to Gunnar's for the mirrors to be mounted, after the interior is in and the rear seat belts will be getting installed. Before anyone shows any concern over that, I am having Gunnar do it so that he can add strengthening plates. I want to be able to install my son's car seat in the back. From previous experience, if I have a car that can't fit the whole family it doesn't get driven.

Sometime in between all that work, I need to fit the lower engine steadies, and figure out if I want to just run with the gauges I have now or install the ones that I have waiting to go into it.

It looks like I am almost at two years without an update.

I still need to get photos of all of the work that Gunnar has completed on it. I'll make sure to take a bunch of photos the next time I am over there.

It went back to him around January of 2017 and he has been making a lot of progress on it lately.

Front Seat Belts Installed
    Rear Seat Belts Installed
    Side Mirrors Mounted
    Door Drains replaced
    Door Window Guides / Felt Replaced on both doors
    Boot Floor Assessed and Repaired
    Rear Primer Spot Painted
    Body colored plugs for Boot Lid
    Brackets installed and hole cut for Right Hand Fuel Tank
    Driver and Passenger seats lowered
    Front Carpet modified to work with floor starter switch
    Rest of carpet to be made to fit
    Headliner Redone
    MK1 Steering Wheel Refurbed

Still to do:

Pull front and rear subframes
    Assess underside and rustproof
    Rust treat and pain wheel wells

Some recent purchases:

An actual car cover that fits the Mini, instead of the one that I have been using for years that was for a standard sized car.

Right Hand Tank

Center Binnacle Reproduction by Rhino

Abarth Cromodora 5"x10" (Need some refurbishment, and center caps. Bought them because I have always wanted a set of magnesium wheels.)

MiniSpares Rose Petal 4.75"x10" Wheels (these will be going on the MK1)

I'll be picking up the engine that I'll be building for it this weekend. I decided to go with something a bit more sedate instead of the high horsepower options I have been thinking about. Ultimately I want to be able to hop in the car and just enjoy it for what it is, not decide if I want to deal with it that day.

More updates to come.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Yay! A update!

Today, for my birthday, I picked up a Downton 998 short block. The engine was purchased new from Downton back in 1971, and has all of the documentation to prove it. The block was completely new when he purchased it, and not a rebuild. I really couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I purchased the engine from another club member, but I will be rebuilding the engine with the original purchaser as he is my mentor for all things Mini. Looking forward to this unique experience and for having a bit of Mini history. I have many other documents that came with the engine, but I taken a few photos of some of them.

The short block:

Downton announcing that they will be closing:

998 quotation:

998 invoicing:

I wonder if it would be taboo to put a Downton badge on my car... I am thinking it might not be once the engine is in the car...

+ Reply to Thread