Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20th Alternator

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar

20th Alternator

I've been looking for a alternator. I've been having voltage drops causing stalling and near stalling, once the car collectively pulls about 30+ amps at a time. I brought my battery in today for a proper load test and its perfectly fine. I've checked the wires and everything checks out so I''m putting my money on the alternator.

Anyways which brings me to my question here. Any webpage I look for one it's an outrageous premium given its the 20th AE. The auto store guy swore up and down it's a standard 120amp alt he had in stock (always get the wrong parts even from dealerships at times with the car). I also have a buddy that works at Vw and could get me a discounted price on a new alternator or the brush kit (quoted $300 for the brush kit).

Anyways I saw this today and has me wondering if it will work.
    http://www.amazon.com/Alternator-Vol...=028+903+028+E

I've been lurking here at times. I've kind of lost interest in vw's as of lately. After the mk4 getting rear ended twice in a week (once parked and the other stationary). The mk2 getting totaled. 20th AE preimum part pricing ($340 per non junk axles) and having to put it back to stock to pass emissions here and losing hope for a bigger turbo swap.

Taken yesterday as it's sits now. I don't have any pics of the shaved hatch after the accident handy.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by DowNnOutDubin; 2014.08.25 at 21:52 PM.

Quote: Originally Posted by DowNnOutDubin View Post
    I've been lurking here at times. I've kind of lost interest in vw's as of lately. After the mk4 getting rear ended twice in a week (once parked and the other stationary). The mk2 getting totaled. 20th AE preimum part pricing ($340 per non junk axles) and having to put it back to stock to pass emissions here and losing hope for a bigger turbo swap.
    sucks

the car looks good though. You should try getting into a different car. Or has the Jeep been that outlet for you?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Yeah the Jeep has been awesome so far. I've been thinking about a e30 or AE86 for the next eco/sporty car. Although I figure I should get most of the stuff with the Jeep where I want it before I take on another project

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1919034/

makes sense

the jeep is such a pretty color...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Do you have the 90amp or the 120amp? Should say on the back of the alternator. 1stvwparts is $327 for the 90amp and $367 for the 120amp. Axles are $167 + $200 core charge. They're OEM remans from the dealer.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    ^^^those are great prices!

Quote: Originally Posted by Jazzydub View Post
    Do you have the 90amp or the 120amp? Should say on the back of the alternator. 1stvwparts is $327 for the 90amp and $367 for the 120amp. Axles are $167 + $200 core charge. They're OEM remans from the dealer.
    Hmm maybe I should buy from Baxters. They quoted me like $350 for a new 120amp Bosch.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    In case people aren't aware, 1stvwparts is actually Auburn VW's online parts shop. Zeb (Corrado Parts God ) handles a lot of the orders..... And if you need NLA in North America parts that are being made by VW Classic Parts (Germany), he can get them.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    In case people aren't aware, 1stvwparts is actually Auburn VW's online parts shop. Zeb (Corrado Parts God ) handles a lot of the orders..... And if you need NLA in North America parts that are being made by VW Classic Parts (Germany), he can get them.
    Yep, Zeb is the man.

The axles are OEM remans. Not sure if the alternators are reman or new.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2014.08.27 at 10:05 AM.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    If the PN ends with an X, it means its a reman. Generally speaking, all starters and alternators are reman and a core charge applies. Be weary of starters and alternators with no core. this generally indicates they sell shit product and dont care to get a core because in 3 weeks, Xang Zou IND will be Zou Xang and a whole new company.

Yep, remans. 038903018PX

I've been driving it until it gets a little worse which was the other day. No start with a good testing battery. Pulled the alternator to get tested.
    Last edited by DowNnOutDubin; 2014.09.16 at 16:32 PM.

Would anyone happen to know if you can realign the throttle body with vag-com lite? Also can you open up the ABS modules with that version as well?

Edit: N/M I looked up the info for myself.
    Last edited by DowNnOutDubin; 2014.09.16 at 11:01 AM.

+ Reply to Thread