Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaned up my old fog light lenses thought I'd share

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar

Cleaned up my old fog light lenses thought I'd share

So I just replaced my fogs with new ones that had mint lenses. So I decided to take advantage of the fact I cold work blown glass for a living and try to clean up my old lenses. Some before shots.

After sanding them with 120 grit diamond wet sand paper.

After 400 grit

After corking and polishing with cerium dioxide

I am over all happy with the results, going to polish a couple spots a little better. All the pitting isn't gone, didn't feel safe taking the glass down anymore.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2014.11.23 at 09:38 AM.

ok, so... how much to do my e60's fog lenses?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    I am going to say $30, any pics of the them?

no pics. I don't need them to be perfect.. just better.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Just wanted I pic to see what they looked like in general, just googled them. I will have polish them on lathe because of shape, but don't see them being a problem.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    That's awesome!

While all the forward headlight/foglight lenses on all my vehicles are glass, they're also all new...but I will likely need your services in a few years.

Would this work on a windshield?

Would be a little hard to work it on the lathe and stand up belt sanders! But seriously, at the last place I worked we did custom architectural glass and we had a hand held tool system to do repairs on site if there was damage done during installs, but it is a very spendy set up. Even then I don't know how it would effect the optics of the glass and windshields are tempered laminated glass so that may cause issues too.
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2014.11.20 at 20:09 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Wow that looks 100% better!

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Nice work! Can you describe the "corking" process you mentioned?
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

It's a sanding belt made of abrasive cork.

+ Reply to Thread