Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filler neck/Fuel Tank vent hose

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar

Filler neck/Fuel Tank vent hose

Looking for some help in finding the hose between the filler neck, and the fuel tank vent for a Rabbit Pickup. It's a bit different than the Rabbit and Cabby, in that it only goes between the neck and tank, according to the Bentley manual. It's hot a spring/metal coil that runs through the middle 1/3 of it.

My pickup has the correct hose, but it's either shrunken, or been cut in the past. Now, the truck pours fuel into the bed body panel if I've got more than a half tank of gas and take a left turn. It also stinks of fuel at the same level.

The hose in question is labeled #5 in this picture. The only website I have found that even mentions it, is the one this picture comes from, and I don't see the part actually for sale. Which is stupid annoying.

http://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showA...ssembly=741703

SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    What diameter is it? If it's small enough, maybe consider a length of fuel injection hose. The wire inside the hose is just to prevent it from collapsing under a vaccuum. FI hose may be rigid enough that it could prevent that anyway. Otherwise you may be able to talk to a hose/hydraulic shop for a length of hose that would be functional. I'm assuming it's the same diameter on both ends.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    I haven't taken any measurements, yet. Was really hoping for a replacement.

If one can't b sourced, I figured I would cut a few inches off, and extend it with some fuel safe plastic or steel tubing. I don't thing fuel injector line is anywhere near large enough to fit over the nipple on either end.

l Arron lSPACE

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I'd replace the whole thing if you can. I'm sure you can find hose/tubing that will work sold by the foot. If not at a local shop, McMaster-Carr has SAE J1527
    ethanol compatible hose

Why change half of a failed & rotten hose?
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

My goal isn't to change half of it. My goal is to put in an OEM hose to make it correct. Splicing in a gap filler would just be a bandaid.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    You can get fuel injector line in all manner of diameters, go to a Napa or Carquest, they'll have a much better selection than any of the major chain auto parts stores
    -Tyler-

^ that will be a good option if an OEM replacement can't be found.

a nice chap in the UK had the same problem, and found the dimensions of the tube to be 5/8" ID and 3/4" OD. Anything over 3/4 OD, and it won't make it through the interior body wall.
    Last edited by VDubVirus; 2015.01.16 at 09:13 AM.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    According to VagCat, it is part number 533201153 'breather hose with spring', followed by instructions to cut it to length (480mm)

Call Bus Depot and see if they can actually get it: http://www.busdepot.com/533201153
    -Tyler-

Outstanding, Tyler. Thank you.

l Arron lSPACE

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    sorry I am late to the game, but just to make things more interesting, 533 part number means Scirocco

Dammit.

Care to share the correct part number?

l Arron lSPACE

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    the part number is #7 from what you described. dimensions are also listed.

+ Reply to Thread