Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3,000+ Mile Road Trip in a 87 GTI with Colby...

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar

3,000+ Mile Road Trip in a 87 GTI with Colby...

Well, as some of you know I recently decided to leave my position with my company and take some time off work. Instead of typing it all, here is my post off facebook:

Now that I have talked it over with my parents... I will post it here. I am figuring out what I want to do with my life and learned over the last 12 months what type of work I do not wish to do anymore. I am taking a road trip/leave/vacation whatever you wish to call it.

At this time I am no longer managing the QFC/SAS division and may not return to that line of work at all. I have been discussing other ideas with my brother and Glidden PC as well as a few other options. Not to mention my passion for Mk2 VWs.

Consider this a mid-life crisis or whatever, but I have set myself up to take some time off and not stress about it. Going to visit some friends in OR, CA and see my mom in Reno. Packing up a mk2 with the dog, food, clothes, tools and spare parts. Time to get out and enjoy my life a bit.

I can work at any merchandising company with my experience, I might be working next to some of you all in the near future, who knows. I would like to thank all the people on here who worked for me, you all did great and I couldn't ask for more. You represented the dirty south well my friends!

Fast forward a few days, I found an 87 GTI that was in rough shape... And than the madness began!

Last edited by trip permit; 2015.01.27 at 22:06 PM.

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Before photos of the car (Mostly from the sellers ad):

A few updates from FB to catch up the thread...

January 25:

7 hours later I have a working fan done OEM. Almost, ALMOST put a toggle switch in and was going to go CE2 when I got back. Well turns out I had 2 BAD new fan switches out of the box. Grabbed one from a radiator in the back yard and it work. Oh well, 2 coolant flushes, 3 fan switches, a new lower radiator hose, new thermostat, water outlet and o-ring later, it works.

Later that day...

Well swapped out the proportioning valve today. One of the 11mm brake line fittings was rounded off. So had to cut the line and get a flaring tool. Need to redo that and use a OEM vw fitting as it was leaking on my first attempt. Now I own a 10mm/11mm line wrench, small pipe cutter and a flaring tool at least.

Car is getting a lot of attention, still need to fix that brake line and do the front wheel bearings.

January 26:

Wheel bearings being done now, both fronts. Going to fix brake line fitting. Then put back together and take for a real test drive. It is running on its own now and smooth. Still need to do plugs and just drive the car.

So far it has gotten:
    -2 coolant flushes
    -New Lower Radiator Hose
    -New Fan Switch
    -New Thermostat/Outlet/O-ring
    -Swapped radiators
    -Oil Change/Filter
    -Air Filter (Sourced stock CIS box)
    -New Wheel bearings

Still to do:
    -Fix vacuum leak
    -Spark Plugs
    -Spark Plug Wires
    -Possible axle replacement
    -Might do front pads
    -Fix brake line fitting
    -Flush Brakes
    -Fuel Filter

More than most would do owning the damn thing...

Wheel bearings all done and installed (Only photoed 1 side):

Now to redo the brake line fitting and go through the car some more. I will get some better photos later on.

Check back in for updates. Plan to hit the road on Thursday at the latest. Have a bit to finish before I head out. Going to Reno first now to watch the Super Bowl with my mom and her husband.

I love that you're doing this with a car you hadn't seen until a short time ago. Have fun man.. enjoy the moment. Trips like that are all about getting away and memories.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Part of the journey I call it. Relying on yourself to get yourself out of any trouble I may face. Taking all my tools, spare parts, 2 spare wheels, 4 jack stands and a jack.

I have had the car about 87 hours now.. HAHA, been gathering parts and working on 4 other mk2s that aren't mine.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Best of luck, my friend! Have fun on your journey, hope you find what you're looking for. Where all are you going, heading up and down the west coast?

Oregon, California and Nevada. Mom lives in Reno.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Love a good road trip. I've done a couple cross country ventures in my old Helios (out to Michigan and back twice). Some of the most memorable experiences for me. Have fun, and leave the stress behind.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Drove the car around about 50 miles or so. Either still a lot of air in the lines or the master cylinder is shot. So I am going to replace it knowing that has been replaced now and bleed it 4 or 5 times more haha.

Car has a working MFA and runs like a champ. Still need to do the plugs/wires/cap/rotor in it as well as fix a big vacuum leak. Brakes first, then the "easy" stuff.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Brakes are a good thing to have.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Yeah, going to drive it as is for now. Pedal freed up some more after putting 150+ miles on it yesterday. Have my bleeder, more fluid, jack stands, jack and a new master cylinder worst case.

Car has finally been cleaned inside, time to go wash the green off so I can see. Then load up all the tools, clothes, etc.. Oh and Colby.

Will post photos here in a bit of updated pictures of the GTI. Thank god for stock suspension.

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    I've been semi-offline for a while now, so I didn't catch the part about you leaving your job. Sorry to hear that, though it sounds like it may be a good thing for you in the long run.

Have you worked out a route for your trip, or are you going to wing it? I want to go on a road trip dangit - I'm jealous.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Enjoy!

I'll be doing Seattle->Eugene->OR/CA Coast->Redwoods->San Fran->Yosemite->LA->Reno->Seattle starting next week. 2500 miles in 4.25 days
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

I will be completely winging it. Plan is to get to CA tonight. There are like 10 Pick N Pulls in CA that I am going to go to before Reno.

Yes, I am very happy I left my job when I did and finally am doing something fun in my life.

I will be in Reno tomorrow night.

Finally washed the car for the road trip and so I can see out the windows haha. Shined up a bit, pressured washed off the last few years of green and dirt.

Going to try and polish it up while in Reno. Need to find a set of small bumpers and install the trim again. Not bad for picking it up Saturday and the shape it was in.

Next update will be on the road.

california tonight? wow..

I miss mk2's.... going to be fun
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    california tonight? wow..

I miss mk2's.... going to be fun
    Maybe not anymore, lol. Still haven't left. Brother came over to pick up his mk2 and had to get all the lights working and seat belt installed. LOL.

Time to install a deck, check all bolts, top off fluids and then hit the road.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Have a great trip!!

yeah.. California's not that close. And then when you get there, there isn't really anywhere to stop for a while

Made it about 100 miles shy of CA last night before taking a nap.

Made it to Reno, photos to come shortly.

"At Loves truck stop off I5. First part failure: front passenger side turn signal bulb. Potty break for both of us. Colby won that peeing contest. I got him next stop."

"Stopped at Clackamas town center to let the dog out and check on everything. Holding all fluids and not burning any oil."

"Colby is ready to GO!"

"Stopped by Wilsonville last night. Had to eat at Wendys, my first real job."

"Colby lost in the terrain."

"Awesome morning in the PNW."

"The beast:"

"Always ready to go"

"Break time in Weed, CA"

..... AND HERE (Reno):

Go Hawks!
    Last edited by trip permit; 2015.01.30 at 21:15 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    That was quick!

such a good dog for you

Quote: Originally Posted by girdwood View Post
    That was quick!
    Its not that long of a trip. Took about 14 hours, not pushing the Mk2. Did 50mph up some of the passes haha. But as you can see above, it was PACKED.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    such a good dog for you
    He is awesome and is having an absolute blast. As long as he is with me, he is good. He protects my cars and scares off anyone within 10'. He doesn't like rattles or exhaust. He thinks when I down shift I am mad and gets all small haha. He has to have the window down or he will shake and start to pant. Not sure if its his game or he gets car sick. But dude did well in the long, quick haul.

+ Reply to Thread