Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3,000+ Mile Road Trip in a 87 GTI with Colby...

Quote: Originally Posted by trip permit View Post
    Joel how long have you known me? I have been doing this for about 13 years now.
    I am still very amused
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by trip permit View Post
    But the worst part was.. EVEN the 7-11 had 6 slot machines in it. Sooo tempting, but I walked away.
    everywhere in nevada has slot machines.. crazy
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I am still very amused
    HAHA, I was quiet for a few years.. Damn corporate life. NO MORE!

everywhere in nevada has slot machines.. crazy
    Ain't that the truth.

Mk2 Diesel was not picked up last night due to other plans and mom not feeling too well. Suppose to pick it up today, damn it, I will take a taxi to his house if need be.

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    2/7/2015:

Didn't do anything yesterday.. But due to the SAS check issue (my old job), waiting on the diesel for now. Meanwhile my temporary lab has been setup.

Replacing intank fuel pump, spark plugs (finally, haha), new master cylinder, new front pads, re-bleed of the brakes, and another oil change. Also got a vacuum res. hoping that helps the idling issue, also got a hard brake booster line in good shape. Who knows what else.

Parts pile.. Co-pilot ready for a ride.

See the issue?

Broken mount piece on old transfer pump, also missing a screen. It is probably in the tank. New one installed with a filter. Time to move onto master cylinder and a re-bleed and oil change as well. Tires rotated for drive back too.. Ran out of time and didn't get an alignment ha.

Old master cylinder out. Old on top with bottle still attached. New one on the bottom. Still sticking, might be air in the system still. Only had 1 bottle so it was a quicker bleed than I wanted. Other than that only thing really left is sticky guide pins. Will get some grease and brake fluid later this AM after a nap. Car runs WAY smoother and idles now with out wanting to die, mostly cause it has a functional transfer pump and new plugs.

Last edited by trip permit; 2015.02.10 at 14:18 PM.

2/8/2015:

Went to bed around 4am and was up around 830. Last auto part run before the trip back. Needed supplies as I don't have them here or in WA... Going to grease up the slider pins on the calipers and re-bleed. Anti-seeze is for lugs. Good stuffs. Game time!

Caliper pins all lubed up as well as e brake cables. Brakes re-bled and everything is put back together. Brakes feel good and pedal returns while in the garage. Time to head out.

Everything is ready to load. Mk2 tetris time.

Game over, I win.

Ready to go, been anxious all morning watching my pack and clean up.

2/9/2015:

Well I didn't get on the road until about 5:30 due to a few last minute errands ran in Reno. The trip was nuts at points due to the weather. Saw a bunch of random things on the way home. From animals, to homeless people on the freeway walking, to mudslides, to rock slides. Colby was a trooper both ways. Ended up taking a nap to calm him down after the halfway point. But still was home around 7AM. So with the nap and a few stops, it was around 12 hours of drive time total.

The 87 GTI was a complete bad ass. I bought it 2 weeks ago and put it to its test the whole way. I have no invested about 40 hours working on the car and sourcing parts for it. Still a long way to go, but have learned and done so many things I have yet to do on a car. A lot of you thought I was nuts for taking that car, but it was a test of what I know and what I have learned. Diag'ed a lot of problems before leaving and left knowing what could have gone wrong and what ended up going wrong. Met a few good people and explored the Mk2 market in a different state. They could definitely use someone like me down there, that is all I am going to say.

Time to get back to "reality", bwhaha, who am I kidding? Well time to catch up on shipping parts, completing some mk2s, doing my taxes, and working on the 92 GTI. Oh and well, finish setting up Glidden Shipping and help expand Glidden PC.

All I know is I am going to be getting out a whole lot more in life. Been living a boring life, no more!

you're back?

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Awesome. I need a road trip this year...it's been too long.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

you're back?
    No my last post was just a dream... Yes I am home, haha.

I have a lot of things to take care of up here. Lots of money to be collected and taxes need to be done. I plan on leaving again soon.

But have my 92 GTI to work on. The 87 needs more work now to even just drive haha.

wasn't sure I was reading it correctly. I'm glad the weather didn't get to you

+ Reply to Thread