Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Danno's Mk2 Golf Camper Trailer

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar

Danno's Mk2 Golf Camper Trailer

Well I have wanted to build my own version of a camper trailer or a tear drop style trailer for a long time. Several ideas ran through my head over the years on how to do it and what I wanted to use to build it. Came down to using a Mk2 car/body itself. I have seen several versions of trailers in photos and one or two in person, but never one made into a camping trailer. I recently purchased a mk2 trailer hitch and then decided it was time..

Going to use ideas/concepts from the following photos:

I am going to be searching RV and marine junkyards as well as cheap pop up trailers on Craigslist locally. I am going to basically use the firewall back on a Mk2 2door Golf. I am going to start off by removing the front end, fenders, hood, motor, transmission, sub frames/cross members. I will be using the rear beam for the wheels as well as the support for the trailer arm on the trailer. More plans will have to be done as time goes on, but I want to get down to the basic shape and get the weight down as space is limited around my house.

Anyone have anymore photos, ideas or suggestions? I will have more photos up tonight as I began to tear into the project.

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    3/7:

The donor shell/car is now at my house and time to get to work. Need to strip the car and tote up all the stuff I am saving for later and sell the rest to pay for the trailer.

Bad photo, but here is the shell:

Well after swapping off the coil overs, wheels, head lights and banana lights onto my friend's car, I started to dig into the trailer a bit. Need to throw stock suspension on it to roll it out and gut it. But its finally underway!

Boring photos, but mostly doing for documenting purposes.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Looking forward to this.

will you be able to fit in one?

I slept in the rear of my wagon once. Other than the floor being too hard, I had an issue with not being able to open windows without letting bugs in.. so I'd say to make sure you build in a way to have screens over a couple of windows. You can easily use magnets to hold screens over open windows, but it'd be cool to have something a little more built in.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

The bed will consist of the entire cabin. I am using the hatch to the firewall. I will be making the floor level to accommodate more head room.

I am basing my design off a tear drop style trailer. Ideas like below:

Cabin will be mostly sleeping area, with cabinets for storage/clothes/etc. The hatch will provide a "cooking area"/fresh water supply/more storage similar to the tear drop trailer above.

As far as window coverings, I will be adapting a lot of marine style stuff as I grew up on boats. I will use marine canvas for privacy/protection of glass while driving/darkening like below:

I am going to get measurements and do some possible drawings once I get the shell cleared out and use a template like this:

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    You were looking soooo tired Saturday evening. Hope you got some sleep. You're definitely making some headway. Definitely a cool little project.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Sweet project! You could shorten the fenders and hood to try and still have a 'front' on the car for aerodynamics.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I would be worrying about balance, with the axle so far to the back of the trailer
    -Tyler-

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    After you are done, make me one like this:

But based on a Mk4!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Cool concept! Looking forward to this!

Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    You were looking soooo tired Saturday evening. Hope you got some sleep. You're definitely making some headway. Definitely a cool little project.
    HAHA, yeah it was a nutty weekend. Had 2 more Mk2s come through since then.

Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    Sweet project! You could shorten the fenders and hood to try and still have a 'front' on the car for aerodynamics.
    Yeah, I am going to get the Golf gutted and see where I am at for weight and material that can be removed.

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    I would be worrying about balance, with the axle so far to the back of the trailer
    Yeah, some thought is going to have to be put in it. I was thinking on the tongue area I would add a platform for tools and a spare tire or something. Need to get down to a shell to find out where I am and where most of the weight is. A separate trailer might be used still instead of the rear beam.

Quote: Originally Posted by Arsigi View Post
    After you are done, make me one like this:

But based on a Mk4!

Quote: Originally Posted by girdwood View Post
    Cool concept! Looking forward to this!

+ Reply to Thread