Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Corrado Project.

Junior Member Xenollama is on a distinguished road

My Corrado Project.

Figured I would spend some time transferring the build thread for my Corrado from the lame-tex over to here where I can keep better track of it. And since people seem to like shiny photos.

I got my hands on a pretty straight 92 SLC shell back in Feb of 2012. This is a work in progress sort of build thread, but I'll bring in what I can.

Had to haul the car out to the shop before we could get started, this is a reasonable look at the shape the car was in.

Everything below this point is past tense because Im just copying old posts over and updating them as needed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Yesterday I started pulling windows out of the car, and have a new dislike for the quarter windows. Managed to get one of them out along with the hatch glass, all in good shape, it just took more time than I would have liked for that blasted quarter glass.

So I'll keep updating this as I progress, if only so I have a nice central location to track my own progress from.

And just for a little extra shiny, here are some of my other VWs, past and present.

Wifey's Mk5:

My 95 Jetta that is providing much of the materials and parts for this rebuild:

And the last car that I rebuilt, my old 86 golf. This one was on the road for all of 6 months before it got totaled by some dude in a pickup, so hopefully the Corrado has better luck...
    Last edited by Xenollama; 2015.03.10 at 15:08 PM.

Alrighty. It wasn't fun, but all the glass is out of the car now. Passenger door has been torn down, disassembled and removed, now on to the rest of the car.

The shell is not the original color, the car was repainted, quite poorly at some point in the past. Here is the factory color tag in the engine bay.

So here are the sort of problems with the existing paint job that are prompting the respray:

That sort of lifting is happening all over the car, so it seems like it wasn't properly prepped everywhere. Off it all comes!

After today, both doors are gutted and off the car, and the interior now looks like this:

Also pulled whatever this mess is out of the wiring in the car, I'm assuming something from an alarm setup based on how it was wired into the locks and the windows, but not really sure.

So a bit more work done. About 99% of the wiring is out of the car now, all wrapped up and out of the way.

Pulled the ABS unit and the pedal cluster, these will not be going back in.

And last but not least, I decided on a color for the car.

So now for something slightly different! Today, having run a bit short on things to remove, I went about installing the mk4 steering column. I went this route primarily for the telescoping steering column, but the upgraded control stalks will be a nice bonus as well.

I'll start out with something that has bothered me since I got this corrado. Somewhere in its past, someone decided to take a sawzall to the steering column bracket. Fortunately I got the part they chopped off with the car, so I was planning to just weld it back on.

Looks like this..

All that being said, turns out this works in my favor today. I started to really take a look at the two columns and get a feel for what I was in for when I noticed how very different the mounting was between the two.

While the corrado column mounts with four bolts, the mk4 unit uses two that are quite a bit more widely spaced. This was going to prove a problem.

I got a bit ahead of myself here with this picture, but the first thing I did was cut the center out of the piece of bracket I had. This would remove the round section that used to sit flush against the corrado column and allow it to straddle the raised center section on the new unit.

I quickly put it back together for this shot so people can see about what it looks like before chopping into it.

This is after:

Does it fit? Sort of.

A bit more metal removal produced this shape:

Now it fits!

I had to grind this piece down, I assume its a placement tab of sorts for when the unit is installed in the correct car. In this case, it was in the way.

Here is where things got a bit messier. Because the mount bolts are positioned a fair bit wider than the corrado bracket's holes, I had to remove the capture nuts and come up with a way of widening the bracket while keeping it strong. Since the bolts would come up through the mk4 holes directly into the walls of the corrado bracket, I decided to knock the sides out in that area. (For some reason I have no pictures of this.) Then I fabbed up some quick and dirty little 90 degree corners to both strengthen the bottom of the old bracket, and provide the basis for new sides.

Here they are bolted to the column as a test.

The next step was basically welding them into the original bracket and building the new sides for strength. It's not all that pretty, but it works and should be a sight beefier than it was.

Side look at the finished product.

A look at the bottom, you can see the remains of the old holes, chopped clean down the middle to clearance for the top of the new column, and the new holes quite a bit further out to the sides.

A final fit and I bolted it down to make sure nothing went sideways while welding, and it all looks good! Tomorrow I will re-attach the bracket to the car and should have a working mk4 tilt/telescoping steering column!

Final notes:
    1. Yes, I know that my mk4 column is rusty. It's annoying, but I will eventually tear it down, clean it up and paint it.
    2. As much as it annoys me that someone hacked the bracket off the car, this would have been at least 6 orders of magnitude more of a pain in the arse to do if I had not been able to work with that piece of bracket on the bench.
    3. I dropped a 10 lb brass hammer off the bench onto my big toe while doing this. The pain is considerable. Pity me.

A quick update. Steering column is in and works nicely. I am going to triple check fitment with the dash and clamshell later.

Here is the corrado as it sits out getting some fresh air while we did a clutch job in a friend's mk3 golf.

Got the front end torn down!

The lift makes emptying the engine bay nice and easy. Just pull a few bolts and lift the car right off!

This stuff was DIRTY. Like half an inch of oil and grime. Just gross.

Started tearing things apart, got the trans off, started pulling the flywheel.

I knew the block in the car was not likely to be salvagable, but I was a bit shocked to have several gallons of oily water pour out of a flywheel bolt hole as I was pulling the flywheel. This block is done.

Did a bit of cleaning...

Then a bit of painting...

Then spent some time cleaning this gross mess up...

I think that's where I'll stop for now. I'll put more up later.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Must have more...

So after some delay, a wild update appears!

Work on the car came to a screeching halt monday when I accidentally placed a knife I was using inside my finger. Three stitches later, and my right hand is pretty well out of commission for a few days while the chunk of finger I nearly separated from myself re-attaches itself.

In the meantime, I will be posting some photos of random things I have been doing.

Here is the donor car, my 95 Jetta GLX, just before going under the parts sales knife.

And with many of the nose bits removed. It doesn't look very happy currently.

I have also been painting more of the various suspension bits, mostly as a way of distracting myself from all the cleaning and paint prep that the engine bay needs.

Next up, some photos of me taking a perfectly good set of SLC headlights and drilling big holes in them!

Step 1: Start with a perfectly good set of SLC headlights!

Step 2: Take them apart!

For my projector, I am using the low beam unit from an old set of mk3 Hella dual rounds I had. Guy had put his hitch through the high beam on the drivers side, so his insurance bought me a new set.

They are... Large projectors. For reference, I am 6'9", and palm a regulation basketball without too much difficulty. This is me holding the projector.

Anyway, I was able to modify much of the housing from the dual rounds and adapt them to the SLC housing. Here it is almost completely assembled.

I have a few more things to do, like come up with a high beam solution, finish building the passenger side light, redo the chrome inside the lights since it's going south with age, etc, etc. The hard work of making sure it was actually feasible is done, so I will likely finish these units up in the next couple days/week.

Next time, maybe I'll have pictures of the engine bay in laguna seca blue! *crosses fingers* *screams in pain because he tried to move his sliced finger*

Well, its been more than a little while since I updated this. Shell is completely painted now, and I am working on getting some suspension back on it so I can roll it out and start prepping doors, fenders, hood, hatch, etc.

That being said, here's some photos!

Painted the engine bay first, to get a feel for how the color would actually look. Pretty happy with it.

Then it was on to the rain tray, and the whole rest of the car.

It still needs to be wetsanded and polished back up, but I will do that once the rest of the parts are painted and installed.

I then moved on to getting the suspension back onto the car, so I can roll it out of the shop to give me space to work on the other bits that need to be painted.

Subframe got a serious bath and some paint:

Of course so did everything else.

And then I started putting it all together...

So as it stands, the front suspension is ready to go onto the car, and the next stop is the rear. Should have the car out in the sun in the next few days, and I can start moving forward on painting the rest of the pieces.

...Then I just have to build the car!

So its been a while since I updated, but here is some of what I have been up to.

First off, the shell is rolling around on its own. I got the suspension all cleaned up and painted and installed. Still needs brakes installed, but thats less important currently.

Suspension is on and car is down on the ground!

Rolled outside for some sun!

Started cleaning up doors and fenders etc for paint.

Found busted spot welds on the front window track for the passenger door, so I had to clean up and re-weld those.

Drilled the holes out a bit to get a better bite with the welds.

Then weld and grind, and soon its ready to get some paint and last forever-ish. And I managed to not light the door on fire!

After that, it was back to prep, prep, prep, and finally some primer!

Now that the pieces are all the same color, I can get some glazing putty down on the few problems remaining, then scuff and lay down a second coat of primer.

Once that's done, its time for sealer, two coats of color, and three of clear, just like the shell got.

(And eventually, more wetsanding than I care to imagine currently! )

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    So jealous! Love it! I want a Corrado again so bad.

Are you doing everything in your own garage? If so, you need to post in the garage thread too
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    So awesome!

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Are you doing everything in your own garage? If so, you need to post in the garage thread too
    +1, I spy a lift
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

Some more updates.

Fenders and core support are on, hood is on temporarily.

Door is on and connected.

Door closed and latched, and some more about why the hood is only on temporarily.

So a few parts have arrived recently, figured I would start with this picture.

And a few other goodies showed up as well:

And that's about all thats gone on recently. Getting closer to paint on the hatch/top of hood/mirror caps/spoiler, waiting for a few more parts to arrive, then can actually start putting things together in earnest.

A random update appears!

School has started up and severely reduced my time for working on the car. The weather has gotten bad enough now to prevent finishing paint, so I am shifting to building the car up. I still have to track down a new SLC front bumper skin and paint the hood and hatch, but those can wait until the weather improves.

Got this box full of goodies recently, now I can start putting the engine back together and think about installing it.

And a quick look at what I am working on these days. Hybridizing the mk3 and corrado harnesses.

It's actually going better/easier than I had expected, the majority of the electrical is wired identically. The headlight/fogs/turn signal harness from the corrado, for example, has exactly the same plugs and pinouts as the mk3 sections.

Getting rolling on the engine today.

Some more photos from working on the engine today.

Mk4 head gasket:

Head is all ready to go on.

Torqued down.

Timed! (and a bit blurry)

All buttoned up!

And finally got started on all the bits that bolt to the engine. Water pump and serp belt tensioner are all cleaned up and installed now. Lots more to do still.

Some more updates. I've been helping my brother refresh the 16v in his Helios GLI the last week or so, we figured with WAY over 300,000 miles on it, it was time to give it some love. (Some of you may know the previous owner of said Helios, he tends to hang out around here.)

In the meantime, I have been working on getting the brakes cleaned up and ready to go. Some sandblasting cleaned the parts up nicely.

And now getting some paint on them. Carriers are painted, one caliper is. Others should be done today.

And finally, so the GTI doesn't get too jealous of all the attention the corrado is getting...

Ok, latest bit of update. Haven't had much time to really work on the car in a while, but finally got a day to get the brakes on the car.

Rears got full new bearings/seals etc.

And the Girling60s are installed and ready to be plumbed up front. They happily clear the wheels, and Ive got new ball joints and tie rod ends in there as well.

I'm still getting used to how much pad these fronts are putting on the rotors. Definitely looking forward to giving them a workout in the future.

Next up (hopefully on monday) I'll be putting the rest of the hard lines back in, and getting the brake booster, ABS, and pedal cluster in.

It also looks like I've neglected a couple other pictures, so here they are:

The engine is about ready to be mated to the trans and put in the car, but it's on hold while I get the brakes plumbed. Just feel ill be happier with more space to work on lines without the engine in the bay.

+ Reply to Thread