Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Because two convertibles is better than one, 99' Cabrio Thread

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Wow, lots of progress made! I agree with Joel, those side markers and tails look great with that color.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Tinkered A bit today, replaced a missing bracket, that holds the main harness connection. And added 10hp! Also my gf ordered the new wheels, they will be here Wednesday.

Bam! 10hp!

nice sticker!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Wheels are here!

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2015.05.17 at 15:28 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Should look good! Using black lug caps?

Haven't decide yet, waiting to see how they look mounted with chrome ones first.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2015.05.17 at 15:31 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Still say it needs spacers even though you don't like them.

or wider wheels
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Hey Tony,

I have been thinking about this and understand the issues with regular spacers, but what about dta/dtm spacers? I've run them on my VWs and S2000 and they are very secure, like an adapter.

Got some more work done on it yesterday. Finished putting the interior parts pulls from the Golf. The steering wheel, upper glove(changed the lock cylinder), new oil pan gasket, oil change, replaced the missing lock for the gas tank(looks like the pump failed and just deleted it) and replaced what I am positive the head filter it left the factory with.

Before

After

Before

Before

After

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2015.05.17 at 15:33 PM.

getting work done

Busy last couple of days! Did the last few part installs, then it was detail time!

Changed the antenna, old was pretty beat and wanted something less obvious.

Installed the strut bar

Next I scrubbed the interior, just one before and after shots, worn out and feeling lazy.

And now a day 1 vs. day 44 of ownership comparison shots

Day 1

Day 44

Looking good

So a couple of weeks ago it started to randomly die on my girlfriend in the same spot a couple blocks away from the house only in the morning. She would have to wait a couple a minutes to get it to restart. Then it would be fine the rest of the day. And it wasn't throwing any codes. So on Tuesday when I was at FT picking up oils pumps for the Jetta and Cabriolet,I brainstormed with Chris and he suggested the coil. Come Wednesday she barely made it home, it didn't want to stay running. Luckily Napa had a OEM one in stock, it was to late to get one from Chris and she needed her car the next day. So far two days no issues.

Still working a lot of OT, so progress on all the cars has been slow. So the last few weeks I have been working on fixing all the leaks. First it was oil leaks, the oil cooler seal was bad, so I changed it. But it was still dripping on my garage floor. I changed the oil pan gasket when we first got it, but apparently I did a crap job installing it. I changed it again and upgraded to a windage tray, no problems since.

After I fixed that, it started leaking coolant! The flange on the side of the cylinder head was the source. So I replaced that and finally changed out all the hoses and the coolant bottle. Everything on the Golf was only a few months old before she totaled it, so I pulled it all before I scrapped the Golf. Unfortunately the upper hose was different, Golf didn't have a SIR pump and the Cabrio does. So had Chris get me one, no more leaks hopefully.

Also replaced the power steering belt. And my girlfriend ordered two new wheels to replace the two she has damaged.

For Christmas I got my girlfriend Jahre belts. I had to transfer them to Cabrio reels and change all the hardware over too. The rear parts are all different, only the b-pillar mounts are different on the front. I bought a complete used set of belts so I could transfer everything over before I wrapped them for Christmas. Yesterday I scrubbed them and today I installed them. Girlfriend is very pleased!

After I cleaned them.

Installed

They look great! Always loved those belts.

Did a little project last night.

wow, turned out nice.

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Nice!

Wanna do a set for me?
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '96 GTi

Wish I knew how to make them. Shift boot and ebrake are OEM Drivers Edition ones. The lid cover was purchased off of eBay.

Last weekend I gave it it's first tune up since we bought it. The sparkplugs were way over tightened, had to use a breaker bar to get them loose. Also replaced the lower front motor insert with a poly one and changed the hvac filter.

Gave it a good detailing and discovered it needs new brakes.

Did the brakes today. New EBC rotor and red stuff pads all around.

+ Reply to Thread