monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1584 of 1629 FirstFirst ... 1534 1564 1574 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1594 1604 ... LastLast
Results 39,576 to 39,600 of 40703

Thread: PNW Chit Chat Thread

Quote: Originally Posted by Arsigi View Post
    I knew there was a reason it was pretty much my favorite area anywhere...

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-the-quiet...tes-1720877487
    it *is* pretty quiet there
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by benny_mech View Post
    They'll probably hire a really annoying producer and turn it into a reality show.
    Wilman also moved from BBC TG, so the guys that basically put the 'old' show together will be there for the new show.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

so I'm back.. not sure how many miles we drove yet.

edit: just figured it out... 6006 miles in 17 days.

We were in:
    Glacier NP
    Yellowstone NP
    Grand Tetons NP
    Dinosaur National Monument
    Rocky Mountain NP
    Mesa Verde NP
    Grand Canyon NP
    Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument
    Capital Reef NP
    Arches NP
    Yosemite NP
    Redwood National & State Parks

We also stopped at a bunch of Oregon Trail sites in Wyoming (Independence Rock, Devil's Gate, Guernsey Ruts and the nearby Registry Cliffs, Fort Laramie, and the Oregon Trails Interpretive Center in Casper), and we spent time in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.. because it's better than the national park.

The "America the Beautiful" pass is so worth it... it cost us $80 and we've used it for a value of $222 so far ($202 on this trip alone).
    Last edited by joel; 2015.08.02 at 21:51 PM.

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    That is one hell of a trip - I am very jealous!
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

thanks.. it was pretty good. We're tired.. but not too tired. We were on the go most of the time, but managed to get a few days in where we only drove a few hours and were able to relax more in the morning or evening.

I'll try to get a map up at some point that shows our trip.. we zig-zagged across Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Holy moly!

Kinda surprised that anyone thought that suspending a huge section of bridge between two cranes perched on a boat was a good idea.

A few more pics: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33762806
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi

yup.. that's impressive

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    WooHoo cable and Internet get hooked up tomorrow! Can't wait to have WiFi again, so can post some pics of the new garage.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    yay, gluster (client) mount died, but other servers connected to the same endpoint are having no issues :\
    -Tyler-

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Arsigi View Post
    Holy moly!

Kinda surprised that anyone thought that suspending a huge section of bridge between two cranes perched on a boat was a good idea.

A few more pics: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33762806
    Most of the barges that are used for crane operations have ballasting systems installed to compensate for shifting loads. I'm curious if the one barge had ballast system failure, or if the operator started swinging faster than the barge could adjust for. Once the corner of the far barge started listing, the far crane essentially lost all control of the lift. The near crane didn't have any issues until the far crane went in the drink.

Dual crane lifts are tricky business (we do them out here at the refinery semi-regularly), but 10x so when doing it from a barge. The part that blows my mind is it never crossed anyone's mind to clear the fall zone of people prior to the lift. "It'll be fine. We've done this lots of times before."
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Something happened where the momentum of the concrete bridge piece overcame the cranes or the ballasting...

Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Most of the barges that are used for crane operations have ballasting systems installed to compensate for shifting loads. I'm curious if the one barge had ballast system failure, or if the operator started swinging faster than the barge could adjust for. Once the corner of the far barge started listing, the far crane essentially lost all control of the lift. The near crane didn't have any issues until the far crane went in the drink.

Dual crane lifts are tricky business (we do them out here at the refinery semi-regularly), but 10x so when doing it from a barge. The part that blows my mind is it never crossed anyone's mind to clear the fall zone of people prior to the lift. "It'll be fine. We've done this lots of times before."
    Ah, I didn't even notice until just now that the cranes were on separate barges. Though, that just means one more thing on the long list of things that can go wrong with a job like this one!

If this had been in the UK, they probably would have evacuated the whole town first.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5155455513.html

Those are fun! Operated a couple when I was in Iraq. Really unique when they are in working order.
    "When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it." - Steve McQueen

'78 Rabbit, '06 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, '14 Touareg TDI(wife's), '14 GTI

Speaking of cranes...
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi

It was great meeting Patrick, Aaron & their wives today. Glad you guys made the trip up. Now I've got a face to attach to the cars.
    -Chris S.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    I don't know who Aaron is... But it was great to meet you, too! I'm Arron
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

So many spellings. At least I didn't call you Erin.
    -Chris S.

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/5155455513.html

"Make sure to show these pictures to your wife before calling."

Awesome rig!
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Loving the new house, haven't had time to set up my garage really other than installing some overhead LED lights Costco has on sale, but next weekend it will happen. Got to change the gf's oil cooler seal, her car marked its spot, she has to park over cardboard now. Cable is finally supposed to be hooked up Tuesday so I will have Internet and WiFi so I will more inclined to post some pics.

Regular Member ENRGZR will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    It was great meeting Patrick, Aaron & their wives today. Glad you guys made the trip up. Now I've got a face to attach to the cars.
    Great meeting you too! Awesome car!

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Welcome back, Joel, that sounds like a fun trip! Any pictures in the making?

Quote: Originally Posted by girdwood View Post
    Welcome back, Joel, that sounds like a fun trip! Any pictures in the making?
    Technically... yes

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread