Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1625 of 1627 FirstFirst ... 1575 1605 1615 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 LastLast
Results 40,601 to 40,625 of 40671

Thread: PNW Chit Chat Thread

yah, it's been quiet. People living their lives
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

ugh the server was getting pounded by spammers this morning.. seems to be mostly Ukraine IPs, which makes sense given the recent Russian spam. I banned a few swaths of Ukrainian subnets..
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Another forum I'm on has been mitigating some of their spam by requiring all new users to post in a specific sub-forum that's hidden from non-new members. Not sure if that would do us any good here or if it would help alleviate server traffic.
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I have a question for you guys... how would you recommend mounting a first aid kit to a vehicle's interior? We use ours semi-regularly (not just trauma related, but band-aids and such), so I don't want to have it too permanently attached. I tried 'commercial' grade velcro with double-sticky tape; pulled right off. I kind of like the velcro idea, because in a trauma situation, it'd be nice to grab and go. I'm trying to mount it to the vehicle's rear plastic trim area (so it can be accessed from the cab or rear hatch, still allowing the cargo area to be utilized without interference). Any help would be greatly appreciated... I can't seem to come up with any good ideas.

I have kits built already, and the cases have a fabric casing with 2 handles; which is why I was hoping the velcro would work... but the velcro either came off my stitch job ( , prototype, I'll have it professionally done had the other part not failed) or the tape ripped right off the vehicle's interior.

wow.. the IP ranges I banned yesterday appear to have had a dramatic affect on the new accounts being created. I was seeing 300 - 500 new accounts each day (most of them unconfirmed). Since yesterday morning the site has only had 92 new accounts created.

the security engineer role made a nice jump forward today. I was able to tell my current manager that I want to move, and I also found out that the CTO has "ok'd" the change. Next steps are my current and new manager talking about logistics and making sure that both team's needs are met where possible. Me leaving the current team is a pretty big hit against them

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    That's awesome, congrats! Bummer it will be a hit on your current team, but sometimes that has to happen to move up. Good luck!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Joel,

I'm in the same position as you. My current manager made it a point to tell me that you have to make moves for yourself and your family, not your team. I completely get not wanting to create extra work for your current team though.

yeah, I don't want to hurt the team, but with the way things are going the team is going to be screwed at some point in this year. We lost one of our key people to another team early this year, and we aren't able to hire anyone new for the time being. If/when I leave, that's half of the team gone and that's the two strongest people on the team. In the mean time, at least one of the remaining guys has been talking about leaving for a while. At this point, if any of us leave it will cause more to leave, because we're not able to replace staff easily right now. I don't know if my current boss will try to replace me or not.. it'll be interesting to see how it goes, if anything. The whole office is going to be very negatively affected if the DevOps team becomes very crippled

But I've been doing this for 2.5 years.. will be three years at the end of this summer. I need to move on and expand my knowledge base more. I like the company and people enough, so moving to a new job within this office seems like a nice way to change things up for a while.

Ugh I want a new car pretty badly.. pretty much any 5 series would do.

So I'm an idiot when it comes to (a lot of things, ha) but mainly tech-stuff. I'm about to help a friend install a security camera system in his house, but we're trying to figure a few things out first... It's an 8-channel PoE system with an NVR. We were about to start running the cables to the camera locations, but where the NVR is, he doesn't want all the cables coming down the wall into the room. I started looking around and found a 'PoE switch' that looks like it might be what he's looking for. Basically, want a way to run the least amount of cables to the NVR as possible (both for aesthetics and ease of install). What would you guys recommend for connecting 8 PoE cameras to a location where he doesn't want any (if possible) of the cameras cables running to?

In addition to that... any thoughts on best router to have to pair with it?
    Last edited by girdwood; 2017.05.13 at 15:40 PM.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    If the cameras are IP cameras, and don't need to be directly connected to the recorder, that would work just fine. As far as a router, I've had this one for a while now and it's pretty damn solid (and you can load Tomato/DD-WRT/etc on it)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -Tyler-

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Sliced my finger with an x-acto knife on Sat.... 6 stitches later and some medical epoxy glue on the nail I am fine. Obvious reminder to be careful with them as they are sharp!

eek

I have to regularly remind my wife to not use a knife in a way that could cut her. She cuts herself often

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    fffuuuu, 90F on Monday and Tuesday next week, not ready for that yet
    -Tyler-

weird Portland

will probably be low 70s here

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    If the cameras are IP cameras, and don't need to be directly connected to the recorder, that would work just fine. As far as a router, I've had this one for a while now and it's pretty damn solid (and you can load Tomato/DD-WRT/etc on it)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Cool, thanks! We're going to give it another go this weekend.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Trying not to get my hopes up, but it is awesome to even be considered!

That is super cool even being considered - Congrats!

good photo of the car too.. shows it off nicely

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    the security engineer role made a nice jump forward today. I was able to tell my current manager that I want to move, and I also found out that the CTO has "ok'd" the change. Next steps are my current and new manager talking about logistics and making sure that both team's needs are met where possible. Me leaving the current team is a pretty big hit against them
    *sigh*
    I meet with the security manager next week, hopefully, but he told me yesterday that "anything that happens will not happen quickly". I know my current boss is not wanting to let me go easily.

If they draw this out long enough I may not be around for them to draw things out more ..

(⌐■_■)
    Let them know that
    -Tyler-

just banned a bunch more IP ranges. I need to 1) update vbulletin, then 2) block most of the world that isn't western europe

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    then 2) block most of the world that isn't western europe
    this.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Giving my notice tomorrow... will be interesting to see the reaction... I am thinking it will not be overly positive.

+ Reply to Thread