Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: Heated Recaro's

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar

DIY: Heated Recaro's

(Part 1 parts)

This is my first attempt at writing a DIY and I have form a dyslexia, so I will try my best.

First I will run through the parts list.

Switch:
    I lucked out and found a dual MK2 one

These are hard to come to come by, but there is some other options.

One being the Corrado/B3 Passat switch. It is a horizontal switch, but fits the mk2 dash in any blank switch spot vertically.

Option two being a MK3 switch, the front pops right off and it can be cut down for a custom mount.

Wiring:
    The wiring from a MK3 is the exact same, but you have to flip flop two wires at the switch end.(Will cover this later)

You need to cut the wiring to the heating pads.(You won't be using the MK3 pads).

Heating pads:
    I used pads from a MK4, unlike MK3 lower pads that are one piece with the bolster heaters. MK4 have individual bolster pads.

MK3

Mk4

Your best bet is to pull them from leather seats, ones from cloth seats tend wear badly. You have to carefully remove the main lower and back pads, as they are sewn I between layers of material. So you have to carefully split the seams.

You need cut the wiring for the pads on the main harness side.

Make sure to pull the wiring that runs through the seat for the back heating pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    (Part 2)

Now for the fun part, combining the wiring and installation. I suggest bench testing everything, if you have the wiring wrong or one of the pads is bad they won't even turn on. You can hear a audible click from the relays that mount under the seats.

As previously mentioned to use the Mk3 wiring with the Mk2 switch(and I am guessing theCorrado/B3 switch) you need to switch to two wires at the switch itself.

The wires for P8 and 86F are ones that need to be switched.

The yellow/red and red/white wires.

Now to combine the Mk3 pad wiring to Mk4 pads.

First take the wiring you cut from the mk3 pads.

You need to take the wires(brown/black and brown) that ran to the mk3 back pad and solder them together.

Also heat shrink the connection

Now you are going to combine the mk3 and mk4 plugs.

Mk3 wiring is:
    Brown
    Brown/black
    Black/red
    Black

Mk4 wiring is:
    Black/yellow
    Black/white
    And this part dosen't make sense, but there is two solid brown wires. Even though on the other side of the mk4 plug they are brown and brown/black.

The connections are:
    Mk3 black to mk4 black/yellow
    Mk3 black/red to mk4 black/white
    Mk3 brown/black to mk4 brown/black (make sure you get the right wire)
    Mk3 brown to mk4 brown

Solder and heat shrink all connections. This is the plug for in between the mk3 wiring/relays and mk4 pads.

Installation(wiring):
    It is fairly simple to wire this in. There is a power wire,ground and switch illumination wire.

Just plug the ground into the main grounding point next to the fuse box.

Power to any switched power source.

And the illumination wire to another switches illumination wire.

Run all the wiring.

Installation(heating pads):
    Disassemble your seats and place the pads in the the correct spots. I used double sided material tape for the main pads and spray glue for the bolster ones.

To run the wiring for the back pad I had to unpin the wires from the plug and push them through a small spot in the bottom corner of the seat back.

I tucked and zipped tied all the wiring in the frame.

Take your finished seat and install it in your car. Enjoy your warm butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Nice, DIY How's the heat now that it's getting hot out? Should be great for next winter.

I actually used it all week in the morning, works great. Seeing as I am on the road before 6 am it's not very warm out yet. It's definitely helping my bad lower back loosen up in the morning.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Great write-up! Thanks! I happen to have a set of Passat heating pads, but I'm sure they're similar.

Where did you buy your pin removal tool? (I don't really want to spend the money on the Schwaben set from ECS)

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...ieces/ce-70-2/

That is the set I have, bought it 4 or 5 years ago. Man the price has gone up, I really don't remember paying that much or maybe it was on sale.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    I actually used it all week in the morning, works great. Seeing as I am on the road before 6 am it's not very warm out yet. It's definitely helping my bad lower back loosen up in the morning.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Awesome write-up! I'm looking forward to using it!

+ Reply to Thread