Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recommend a mechanic / workshop?

Junior Member alien47 is on a distinguished road

Recommend a mechanic / workshop?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and currently shopping for a 2nd used car - probably a VW Passat B5.5. I'm looking for recommendations of capable VW mechanics within the Renton and surrounding area that I could take a VW to for pre-inspection before I commit to a purchase.

Thanks,
    Rob.

Southlake European in Renton is worth talking to. I'd recommend Fine Tuning Performance in north Seattle as well.

Welcome!

Careful with that generation of VAG cars.. that's where VW and Audi earned their low reliability ratings. Just read up on known issues. There are plenty of them still going and doing very well, and plenty that are junk and will cost you a ton of money to keep running.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    I second the recommendation for Fine Tuning.

Yeah, be vary of the B5.5; got a B5.5 Passat wagon TDI for my wife and it had some interesting quirks arise. In a TDI, the transmissions last to 110k to 140k.
    "When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it." - Steve McQueen

'78 Rabbit, '06 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, '14 Touareg TDI(wife's), '14 GTI

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I had a B5 wagon, I was not a fan.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I had 1 B5 wagon and one B5.5 wagon, both had their own issues. I miss both, but I miss all of my old cars. They aren't known to be reliable, though. I have heard good things from South Lake European, like Joel said, but have not used them. I have used Ovals in Milton off of 99, though, and I think they are going to be my new shop.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    I heard good things about South Lake European as well, so I used them. I wasn't overly impressed though. Attention to detail was very lacking. One of my old neighbors had a very bad experience with them.

I used south lake to do a PPI on my m3. They caught most things and were pretty accurate with what they found, but then they have guys there that are BMW enthusiasts. I'm not sure I'd trust them to know what to look for on a B5/B5.5 . I'd trust Fine Tuning though.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Junior Member alien47 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the recommendations so far! It's hard to find a new shop to build a trust with, so all the comments on past experiences are great.

+ Reply to Thread