Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2008 BMW M3 - AKA 2 FAST 2 FURIOIUS

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough

2008 BMW M3 - AKA 2 FAST 2 FURIOIUS

It has been brought to my attention that I go through at least 1 car a year. I like to think that I do it because I still haven't found the one for me yet. With the sale of the Beat, and my son's designation of it being the "cool car", I had to find someone equally or more cool. He doesn't label all cars cool, and he is definitely opinionated on what he likes and doesn't like with cars.

I have mainly been looking at buying a CLK63BS, but a few weeks ago I was looking on BaT and came across this M3. I was the high bidder on BaT, but it didn't end up meeting reserve. I contacted the seller outside of BaT and negotiated a fair price on it.

I think it is over the top for most, but I have always loved GT2/DTM cars, so it is right up my alley. I flew down to San Francisco last Saturday to check it out, and it was as advertised. I completed the paperwork with the company selling the car for the owner and met the owner. The car is set to ship up here on the 5th of December. For that, I went a bit pricey and hired an enclosed trailer, where it will be the only one on the trailer.

BaT had some incorrect information on the car, but I have been getting clarification from the owner on what is actually on the car. One of the plusses of the car is that the engine and drivetrain are completely stock and the car only has around 45,000 miles on it. The current owner is the one that modified it, but also put barely 2000 miles on it. Previously it was owned by a doctor.

What I know it has:

Exterior:

Flossman ALMS GT2 Carbon Fiber Widebody kit; imported from Germany
    Complete Vinyl Wrap by SS Customs

Wheels:

Aristo Forged Sport 14 Concave
    Fronts: 20x11 - 275/30/20
    Rears: 20x14 - 345/25/20

Tires: Toyo T1Rs (fronts have some nasty rubbing, but I am told that the cause has been corrected)

Suspension:

KW V3+ Coilovers

Exhaust:

Mevius MXP Performance Exhaust (only the axle back is installed at this time, the owner didn't like the loudness of the whole system)

Interior:

Custom 4 point roll bar
    Recaro Pole Position Seats

Here is a stock E92 M3 for comparison:

Pros:

I feel like I am starting back up where I left off on my '99 GTI with the 6 pt cage, full metal widebody, and Ferrari 550 brakes.

Cons:

I don't like to buy other people's projects, but this one seems like it will be fun. It also has the CCC NAV instead of the CIC NAV, so I will need to spend money upgrading it. Mostly because I want an OEM backup camera.

I already have plans for what I want to do with it to take it to the next level, but the first concern in the next year will be to take care of the S65 rod bearing issue.

Now for some pictures...

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    That is the raddest M3 I have seen in a long time! I really like it.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    daaaaaaaaamn! that looks fun
    -Tyler-

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Very nice!
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '10 VW Touareg TDI [Tow Rig and DD]
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '03 Audi S8 --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)
    '01 Ducati ST4

Wow
    Those arch vents are semi functional... nice
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting it up here.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Wow!��

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    That is nice... Now I understand what you meant when you said it wasn't a road trip type car!

Thanks again guys. I have yet to drive it, but I am hoping it performs well. As this car will never be a daily. I picked up a '96 Honda Civic Hatch a couple of weeks ago as a daily (told my Mom I would buy it from her after she bought a new car). It's a bit of a beater, but runs very well.

It's nice to have a fun car and a daily car. Driving one helps you appreciate the other
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Dope.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Thanks

Ya, the Honda had super cloudy headlights. I just spent a couple of hours on them and use the Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit. The passenger turned out better than new and the driver side is good as well, but has a bit of haze on the inside that I can't do anything about. Next up is to replace the gauge cluster bulbs as only one out of four is functional. Does anyone have any recommendations for 9003 headlight bulbs? I would like as best a night lighting experience as possible.

Previous owner getting a ticket in it:

Last edited by buddylove; 2016.11.27 at 06:40 AM.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    You didn't drive it when you went to look at it? And as far as bulbs I only use Osram Night Breakers in all my cars, no matter what bulb type.

I was planning to, but a pretty nasty storm was hitting San Fran when I flew in. I started it up from a cold start and checked it over. The last few cars I have bought, I didn't test drive due to buying them out of state / country. I know its a gamble, but with all the records on the car. I feel safe with the transaction.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Found the EDC (Suspension Module) and RDC (TPMS Module) and disconnected them in preparation for coding. With the KW V3 coilovers and aftermarket wheels, the car is throwing codes for both. It is also throwing and airbag code because of the race seats. The stock seats have airbags in them. Finally, it is also complaining about the seat belts because the roll bar is so close to the belts.

Purchased the DCT GTS Tune (Transmission Programming). Basically it is suppose to mimic the transmission programming of the M3 GTS that was sold in the EU. The programming improves the downshifts and upshifts, as well as the manual gear changes. With this I also purchased unlimited coding and will be getting the alerts turned off for the items that don't exist anymore as well as some other custom stuff. It is basically the same thing as coding with a VAG Com.

I know for some cars they sale seat airbag light defeaters, they plug into the connector and trick the computer.

They have defeat modules for this car too. Tuning companies sell them for around $500 each vs me having someone fix the coding for $60.

Normal Member ExplosiveToaster will become famous soon enough ExplosiveToaster's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by buddylove View Post
    Tuning companies sell them for around $500 each vs me having someone fix the coding for $60.
    Yowza. And you know for $500 you're getting a little plastic box with probably some resistors in it or a dumb signal-spoofing circuit.
    - Mike | My Photos | '16 VW Golf R | '87 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

That's exactly what it is.

BMW

Got the coding done this morning, no more warning lights! Disabled the Nav disclaimer, and upgraded the transmission software to the GTS coding. The transmission shifts smoother and quicker now on both the upshifts and downshifts, it's a night and day difference.

+ Reply to Thread