Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 32 ... LastLast

Thread: One Photograph A Day

Normal Member RoadRunner is on a distinguished road RoadRunner's Avatar
    So who of you photographers wants to hike/snowmobile out into the snowy wilderness, and post up a spot in the cold snow and shoot some snowboarders for free? We have avalanche safety training and all our avy gear however we don't have any spare beacon/shovel/probes (necessities)... I need footage, and it's hard to film/photograph yourself.

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    need to see just a little more of the side of the car, I think.
    When shooting cars I rarely shoot the rule of 3rds. Unless there is something interesting where I can balance the photo.

^lowered it more since this pic.

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
    Jazzydub, that looks like Lahaina.
    Close. S. Kihei Road.

Lahaina.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2010.11.16 at 19:07 PM.

some day I just might! One of my goals in life is definitely to drive across a country at least a couple of times.. ideally taking lots of state highways instead of the interstates. It'd require so much time off from work though that it'll have to be one of those times when everything is just right to allow me to do it
    I've done it twice now. Can't wait to do it again. Although I wouldn't recommend driving into NYC. Park it and take the train in.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Junior Member NChoy is on a distinguished road NChoy's Avatar
    See if I can address several things in one post...

Jazzydub... *drool* My wife and I are flying back to Oahu (where I'm originally from) Nov. 23-Dec. 7, with a side-trip to the Big Island Nov. 26-Dec. 2... there will be LOTS of pics posted when I get back

Adam... us too... Northern route eastbound, and the southern route (via I-40 and Route-66) westbound in 2008 when I worked at the Pentagon for 6 months. Great trip... we'll have to do it again. And I totally agree on NOT driving into NYC. Park in Jersey and jump on the ferry, or in Queens and jump on the subway!

Okay... here's my pic for today. Background: Took this picture a few years ago on a trip to Sofia, Bulgaria. The Navy dude at the far end of the table is the attache to the U.S. Embassador to Bulgaria. He hosted us at a luncheon in downtown Sofia. I didn't think much of the photo when I took it, but later on I realized what a "Martha Stewart" moment it was.

Nick Choy,
    Oregon Volvo Tuners Founder (http://www.ovtuners.org)
    '98 V70R, '95 960, '89 245DL, '71 142e, '67 122s

Nick, I'm gunning for your job (as a civilian).
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Nick, I'm gunning for your job (as a civilian).
    LOL... so am I (as a civilian)!
    Nick Choy,

Talk who ever into contracting with my company and I'll hire you. Done deal.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by NChoy View Post
    Okay... here's my pic for today. Background: Took this picture a few years ago on a trip to Sofia, Bulgaria. The Navy dude at the far end of the table is the attache to the U.S. Embassador to Bulgaria. He hosted us at a luncheon in downtown Sofia. I didn't think much of the photo when I took it, but later on I realized what a "Martha Stewart" moment it was.
    pretty cool shot... tells a bit of a story
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by DowNnOutDubin View Post
    When shooting cars I rarely shoot the rule of 3rds. Unless there is something interesting where I can balance the photo.
    can I ask why?
    It's not really about the "rule of thirds". All that is is a dumbed down version of the Golden Ratio, which is all about what pleases our eyes and our mind when looking at a scene.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar
    I feel like if the subject/car is my primary focus, and if I can't find a balance with the composition of the background/surroundings. I'll just try to get the car as my primary focus (as the eye won't have anything else pleasing to wonder around in the picture). So if I'm not finding a balance I tend not to shoot the rule of thirds.

I haven't been into photography for too long, so I'm still trying to find my own "artistic eye". It might just take me some time on how I incorporate the balance in my shots. I've read a lot into composition and it got me trying too much to shoot in the rule of 3rds. Which then I felt like I was disregarding my main subject or ended up making the shoots too bland without a correct balance (even with the rule of 3rds). I just wish I knew more about composition back when I had a P&S. When I was thinking it was limiting my ability to take great photographs!

Quote: Originally Posted by DowNnOutDubin View Post
    I feel like if the subject/car is my primary focus, and if I can't find a balance with the composition of the background/surroundings. I'll just try to get the car as my primary focus (as the eye won't have anything else pleasing to wonder around in the picture). So if I'm not finding a balance I tend not to shoot the rule of thirds.

I haven't been into photography for too long, so I'm still trying to find my own "artistic eye". It might just take me some time on how I incorporate the balance in my shots. I've read a lot into composition and it got me trying too much to shoot in the rule of 3rds. Which then I felt like I was disregarding my main subject or ended up making the shoots too bland without a correct balance (even with the rule of 3rds). I just wish I knew more about composition back when I had a P&S. When I was thinking it was limiting my ability to take great photographs!
    yeah, I understand.
    One of the biggest things that can draw the viewer's eye away from the intended subject is a very bright or large area of white in a photo. Such an area ends up being the first thing our eyes are drawn to, and it becomes a distraction when trying to take in the whole image. That's one thing to keep in mind.

Anyway, in my opinion, you almost never want to have your main subject be right in the center of the photo. It just looks wrong to our eyes. Screw the rule of thirds... do reading on the golden ratio and how it affects how we see things (people's faces, buildings, photos, etc.). That will teach you a lot more about composition in photography than just trying to adhere to a simplified idea (the 'rule of thirds'). It's not something that should be a "rule".. but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

With that last shot you posted of the car on that road (I love the location, btw), I keep ending up distracted by the bright area of sky just behind the car. The car is dark and kind of gets lost in the rest of the photo. There are times when you have to kind of sacrifice the shot you had in mind just to make sure that the human eye easily sees the subject you're shooting and isn't distracted by brighter areas, confusing compositions, etc.

Anyway... I'm arguing a point you're already pretty familiar with. Keep shooting

Here's a cool one from a couple of years ago. A few of us military photographers were out on runway 28L shooting pictures and video of our F-15 jets taking off. I got a lot of great photos that day, but this one illustrates how damn close we were to the actual runway. In one instance a "heavy" took off (Northwest Airlines passenger plane). I swear, the right wing tip went over my head as it passed us.

Here's that "heavy"... keep in mind I wasn't zoomed in that far.

Nick Choy,

Awesome! Next time you have a chance to do something like that, give me a call.

Quick use of flashes on the ground and shooting handheld.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

One from work today:
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

In less than a week we'll be doing this:

Nick Choy,

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I really need to spend some more time at our condo on Maui!

I love when I take a good picture and someone says "You must have a really nice camera". Just a random photog thought.....
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    our condo on Maui!

I love when I take a good picture and someone says "You must have a really nice camera". Just a random photog thought.....

I've seen really good photographers take incredible pictures using cheapo disposable cameras. In fact, there was a contest a while back where 20 photographers were each given a disposable 35mm camera and 24 hours to fill it. I wish I could find that website again.
    Nick Choy,

Look what my camera did yesterday :
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Some quick snow fun.

This beast was about 8 feet tall...

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Yes sir!

Look what my camera did yesterday :
    Look what I did.... hehe

+ Reply to Thread