Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers and the driven -- Post 'em up! (Introduce yourself!)

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Welcomes to NWarty and AAudiA3! or if you have a different preference or if you dont like that :water: if that doesnt work.. well at least I started with welcome

I like the A3!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Love the A3, now post pictures of the A6.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Normal Member NWarty will become famous soon enough NWarty's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Welcomes to NWarty and AAudiA3! or if you have a different preference or if you dont like that :water: if that doesnt work.. well at least I started with welcome
    Heh, I have Hefeweizen for blood
    - Blake
    Northwest Artillery
    I blow up stuff from a long ways away

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
    Heh, I have Hefeweizen for blood
    I have Hefeweizen in my kegerator!

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    I have Hefeweizen in my fridge! Soon to be a kegerator...

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Me too!

Here's a pic of it in my man cave. Filled with my buddy's Longshot-winning schtuff

- Blake
    Northwest Artillery

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Very nice!
    So does your buddy brew? You need to get him onto our homebrew thread!

He does. His stuff looks like a NASA experiment, i.e. pretty cool with digital readouts, toggle switches, etc. He had only been brewing for six months when he won the Sam Adams Long Shot contest for best Hefe west of the Mississippi. I need to take a screenshot of his logo, it's pretty darned cool.

I was totally stoked to get the Alaskan Amber Orca whale tap handle you see there.
    - Blake
    Northwest Artillery

Normal Member Slow8vJetta will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by AAudiA3 View Post
    Hello,

New to the Forum, wanted to say Hello...

I own '02-A6 and '06-A3. A3 is my speedster, and A6 is for cruising.

You live right down the street from my friend. He drives a red four door golf with a sticker bombed front drivers fender (it's to cover the excellent bondo work by the PO)
    DubSaints

Junior Member amotion578 is on a distinguished road
    Lurker on the 'tex since Nov. '10. New to here.

The daily at Waterland:

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Welcome to the site!

I've never liked how people call the other site "the tex".. whatever

welcome

invite all of your (cool) car friends to here
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Junior Member kgemt is on a distinguished road

Intro:

Sorry to have taken so long to respond to your request for an intro. I was diverted for the last half of the summer, and only now am getting back to 320i stuff. Here's a pic of me. I'm having trouble figuring out how to mix photos into this post; so, everything is at the end - hopefully.

I'm a new member, and my wife and I recently retired from NM to MT. I'm a retired earth scientist from Los Alamos. We live on the Kootenai River, near Troy in NW MT. While I finished up some things at work and sold our house in NM, my wife moved up to MT to get started on our new place. She had her Miata, but it wasn't well suited to winter in MT; so, when she saw a 320i for sale, she bought it. She had owned a '79 back in the early '80's, and loved it. I wasn't pleased to have a 25 year old car with 170K miles to care for, and I thought she paid too much, and unfortunately, said so. Dumb. At retirement age, you'd think I'd know better. I lost a lot of points on that one. Here's a pic.

When we started building our new place, I drove it to the building site every day. It was filled with carpentry stuff, dirt and paper. It was our beater. When we finished the house, I parked it under another tree (unfortunately a pine tree), and it was only driven every few months. We tried to sell it for next to nothing, but no luck. Last winter, we sold the Miata. (You just don't want to hit a deer or a moose in a Miata.) So, I decided to see if the 320 would run. After charging the battery, it came to life, and actually ran pretty well. I started cleaning it up, and realized that the interior was actually in pretty good shape and complete. It has a crack in one of the Recaro bolsters, and a couple of small cracks in the dash. Other than that, it has cleaned up well inside. The exterior is chalky like the '81 described in the 'rough to tough' thread, and there are now lots of dried pine sap spots to be cleaned off. I told my wife that I plan to restore the car. She looked at me nervously, and asked, "What do you mean?"

The engine is surprisingly strong. There is a steep hill nearby that climbs about 600' out of the river valley where we live. The car will actually accelerate up that hill in 5th - slowly, but it accelerates. The drive train seems fine throughout. No leaks on cv's, tranny works fine, clutch seems worn a bit, and I think the master cyl is leaking a bit. Needs new shocks, AC doesn't work and it needs a new heater fan. There are a number of minor electrical problems. The guy who had it before me jury rigged a new wire to the fuel pump by coming off the hot side of the fuse. I don't know why he did that, but it makes me nervous.

I've started polishing the paint. The crud and pine sap is coming off, and the paint looks pretty good, but rust is going to be my biggest problem. Fortunately, a lot of guys in this area restore older cars and build street rods (some from the frame up). So, there are a lot body work and paint booths around. It's surprising, because there are only a couple thousand people in this NW corner of MT. I guess the winters are long, and people need something to do. That's good, because I can do mechanical stuff, but I'm not much on body work.

I originally thought that I'd bring the car back to stock as much as possible. However, I really have come to enjoy driving this thing. So, I think that I want to take advantage of some of the suspension and brake upgrades that you guys have been discussing. I'm OK with the engine's power.

I've restored a couple of 914's in the past, and I'm surprised to find that the cost of parts for this thing isn't high as the Porsche stuff. I expect that it will take a few K to do this right, but if the end result is anything like the cars I've seen on this site, it's money well spent.

I'm starting with the mechanical stuff. Probably the fuel pump, heater fan and AC first. It will need a new spray job at some point, and a lot of rust repair first.

The guy my wife bought it from said that when he found it in E. Washington, it was in a barn. The trunk was filled with baseball cards, including a rookie card for Babe Ruth. Unfortunately, water had gotten in and molded most of them.

This is probably my biggest rust problem.

I expect that I'll have a lot of questions, and I hope I can contribute something useful as I get into this.

Pretty complete tool kit.

Air dam is split. Can't decide if I like it or not. I don't mind the bumper so much, but I do think the European bumpers I've seen here are better looking.

That's probably enough on where I'm starting from. Oh yeah, one more thing. My wife reminded me that it is her car.

Ken
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos - 1494.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	168Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos - 1493a.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	167Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos - 1488a.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	166Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00315a.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	165Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos - 1488.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	169

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar

Welcome!
    -Tyler-

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Welcome to the site!

Welcome to the site!
    I spy a Shop Smith!
    I love mine!

that is awesome.. definitely looks like the car has some rust issues, but I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with the car. You'll love having an upgraded suspension as well, and the car will thank you for it.

Welcome to the site!

Quote: Originally Posted by kgemt View Post
    The trunk was filled with baseball cards, including a rookie card for Babe Ruth.
    Wow!

Welcome Ken!
    - Blake
    Northwest Artillery

Farmer Ron Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi is a jewel in the rough Arsigi's Avatar
    Howdy to the new folks.

Man, I want an A3.

And mmmmm, beer.
    Ron a.k.a. Arsigi
    Spokane's Most Posted on here, too...
    FlügenWeb. Späcecode. TwitZöne. Ass Möde.

Junior Member quattroderrick is on a distinguished road quattroderrick's Avatar
    What's up everyone? I'm new to this site but not new to the the "scene" (I hate that word)

I picked up my '93 S4 four years ago looking like this

After a few mods and a bunch of money, it is sitting like this...

I have huge plans for the car. And I just picked up a new DD so this project can finally get started!
    -1993 Audi S4(project)
    -2001 Jetta(DD)

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Very nice! Good choice in wheels too.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Great looking S4. I'd forgotten how good they look cleaned up.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

thanks for (finally) posting Derrick

gtg tomorrow.. check it out

Junior Member quattroderrick is on a distinguished road quattroderrick's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    thanks for (finally) posting Derrick

gtg tomorrow.. check it out
    I kept forgetting about this place! I'm working tomorrow but I want to start making it to more gtg's again.
    -1993 Audi S4(project)
    -2001 Jetta(DD)

+ Reply to Thread