Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 78 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 41 71 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies (& TV) - discussion, and what did you watch today?

started catching back up on watching Justified tonight. I love this show...
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Getting my daily dose of Doctor Who and Top Gear.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    "I don't want either of you doing shit.. or contemplating doing shit.. without running it by someone who can think"

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

"why do I have the office where the deputies shoot people?"
    "was nothing wrong with this one.."
    "meaning that there were things wrong with the other ones you've done.. ?"
    " 'tell you the only thing wrong with this shootin'.. she reacted faster than I did"

I love this show

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Night Of The Creeps and now Silver Bullet.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

- Jorge Luis Borges

seen a few movies recently:

the original Ocean's 11:
    I'm a fan of the remake, and the sequels. I think they're all some of the better heist movies as of late. I also am not very familiar with the rat pack and who all of them are. I can barely identify Sinatra when I see him in this film. So, with that said, I was a little annoyed that this 2hr 8min movie took 53 minutes to even mention stealing something. The first 50 minutes (~3 minutes for opening credits) are literally just people talking and singing (yes.. there are a few musical numbers), and introduction of characters played by actors that I could not identify. I kind of got the feeling that they filmed this part of the movie assuming that most viewers were more familiar with who all of the actors were, since they didn't seem to do a very good job, imo, of introducing and differentiating who was who in this obviously large cast.

Once the heist part got under way, it happened pretty quickly, kind of like the remake, and it was done well enough. It's very much a 60s or 70s film in that it just doesn't seem to have a huge amount of quality (like what I remember from some earlier films (ie. It's a Wonderful Life)) and, of course, lacks the faster pacing and fit & finish that we're used to with newer films. They also had at least a couple very blatant racial 'jokes' regarding Sammy Davis, Jr. that actually shocked me. We're used to hearing such lines in some comedies now, but definitely not in more 'serious' films like this one. I don't get it how that was accepted at all back then.

I probably won't be watching it again..

The Source Code:
    given that this film is directed by Zach Snyder of 'The Watchmen' & '300' fame, I was expecting a good look & feel similar to the quality of those movies. This movie is definitely much more realistic than those other two, but I still expected to see a better realized and more engaging world than I did. The movie basically has two sets.. a train, and a military operations center of sorts. There are a couple of decent twists, a couple of things that really bend you mind's thinking and probably appear to be way too unbelievable, and the story isn't completely predictable. It is mostly predictable though. It has some elements that are very similar to Groundhog Day (love that movie).

It's acted well enough.. and was a decent watch. It will not be on any must-see list of mine though.. and I kind of wish I'd just gone and seen Sucker Punch instead. At least then I could enjoy a bunch of beautiful women with guns doing stupid things in a stupid movie

Starsky & Hutch.. the remake:
    I hadn't watched this movie previously because I had figured it wouldn't be that funny (to me). I don't tend to like most modern comedy films. I love what I think are good comedies... but most of the more recent movies simply don't fit the sort of things that I tend to like.

I was pleasantly surprised though... there wasn't a whole lot of raunchy humor (which is good, in my mind ). It has all of the actors you'd expect to see in a film like this (ie. Will Farrell), so no surprises there. It was genuinely funny many times throughout the movie though, and the overall quality was a lot better than what I had expected. Good stuff..

I haven't seen the original

Gone in 60 Seconds.. the remake:
    I like this movie.. saw it when it came out, and bought it on DVD early on. I think it's a fairly decent car film, and the movie fits Nicholas Cage pretty well. It's fun to watch the movie 10+ years after it came out and see how many actors are in the film that are better known now (like Timothy Olyphant). Still a good watch, in my mind.. and, like Ocean's 11 above, is easier to get into than the 70s original (which, again, has a whole lot of lead up with the only real action at the end).
    Last edited by joel; 2011.04.03 at 21:44 PM.

Gone in 60 Seconds.. the remake:
    I like this movie.. saw it when it came out, and bought it on DVD early on. I think it's a fairly decent car film, and the movie fits Nicholas Cage pretty well. It's fun to watch the movie 10+ years after it came out and see how many actors are in the film that are better known now (like Timothy Olyphant). Still a good watch, in my mind.. and, like Ocean's 11 above, is easier to get into than the 70s original (which, again, has a whole lot of lead up with the only real action at the end).
    I think Gone In 60 Seconds gets more then it's fair share of hate, and I really don't know why. Cars racing all around, excellent cast, and a half decent soundtrack.

Also, it's so weird to see the ninth Doctor as a bad guy.

I watched The Great Outdoors yesterday (still a fantastic movie, even today), and a bunch of Top Gear today while a friend was over visiting.

- Jorge Luis Borges

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    this looks good:

-Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    new Mythbusters on now
    -Tyler-

Watched The Wolfman today (not the first time I have seen it) and it was still good.

- Jorge Luis Borges

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I've watched a ton of Swamp People and Secret Millionaire. Good shows.

placeholder doppelfaust will become famous soon enough doppelfaust's Avatar
    Selena and I watched Black Swan... I think the plot was only about Natalie Portman's crotch, but I could be wrong. It was an okay movie, the ending was a huge let down.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by doppelfaust View Post
    I think the plot was only about Natalie Portman's crotch
    I'd watch that! Hehe

Yeah, I could listen to a discussion about her crotch all day long.

- Jorge Luis Borges

The Source Code:
    given that this film is directed by Zach Snyder of 'The Watchmen' & '300' fame, I was expecting a good look & feel similar to the quality of those movies. This movie is definitely much more realistic than those other two, but I still expected to see a better realized and more engaging world than I did. The movie basically has two sets.. a train, and a military operations center of sorts. There are a couple of decent twists, a couple of things that really bend you mind's thinking and probably appear to be way too unbelievable, and the story isn't completely predictable. It is mostly predictable though. It has some elements that are very similar to Groundhog Day (love that movie).

It's acted well enough.. and was a decent watch. It will not be on any must-see list of mine though.. and I kind of wish I'd just gone and seen Sucker Punch instead. At least then I could enjoy a bunch of beautiful women with guns doing stupid things in a stupid movie
    so I just noticed that I completely confused who directed this film. Zack Snyder directed Sucker Punch, which looks a little more in line with this previous work than this movie

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    this looks good:
    I'm thinking about watching that tonight..

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    new Mythbusters on now
    yes!

I still haven't forgiven Zach Snyder for raping Dawn Of The Dead. I wanted to punch most of the characters in the face.

- Jorge Luis Borges

have been watching more of Batman: the Animated Series lately.. such a good show

saw Sucker Punch over the weekend with my brother. Both my dad & brother liked it quite a bit, I think. I'm not so sure. The separation between the 'real life' part of the movie and the 'fantasy' side of the movie was seriously disjointed.. the movie didn't flow at all. But, it was still kind of fun to watch. It could have been worse

I think I want to see Sucker Punch, though I'll probably wait for the Directors Cut on Blu Ray so all the stuff he had to cut out for the PG-13 rating will be replaced.

- Jorge Luis Borges

heh
    it was actually a really clean movie, for it being a movie about girls fighting a war and living in a brothel

have been watching more of Batman: the Animated Series lately.. such a good show
    this is making me want to rewatch Batman Begins & The Dark Knight..

I thought Suckerpunch was dope. I definitely have the biggest crush on Emily Browning though.

Just watched the new Tron. I approve.

+ Reply to Thread