monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Cascades Trip (google maps is dangerous)

North Cascades Trip (google maps is dangerous)

So I was thinking about doing Mt. Baker tomorrow.. but then I started thinking that I could check out the North Cascades Hwy instead. I've only driven it once.. back in 2003 with my brother in his first rabbit. So I pulled up google maps and started looking for roads to take.

I got a crazy idea... I could do this!

I'm sure it'd be amazing.. but it turns out that's nearly 12 hours on the road (and over 600 miles)... probably more since Canadian speed limits are lower and there's border crossing time (plus I'd risk being searched.. again). Okay.. maybe I won't be so crazy. I do want to do this trip in one day and not two (not interesting in paying for a hotel or camping right now).

So.. how about this?

I'll definitely get a good feel for hwy 20 this way.. and it'd allow me to check out some of the good alternate highways on each side of the mountains. It's still 9.5 hours and just under 500 miles, but it's much more doable in one day. I think I have my mind set.

I'll be back on Monday evening.. and may post some pics in the mean time
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

there.. set it up so I can upload pics to my gallery and post here
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

headed out.. w00t!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    c ya later
    -Tyler-

Regular Member ENRGZR will become famous soon enough
    looks like fun.

Normal Member 90mk2golf will become famous soon enough 90mk2golf's Avatar
    HWY 20 is a great road you won't be disappointed, have fun.

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Make sure to check this place out on the way:

Howard Miller Steelhead Park
    52809 Rockport Park Rd
    Rockport, WA
    (360) 853-7626

It's really cool.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Quote: Originally Posted by 90mk2golf View Post
    HWY 20 is a great road you won't be disappointed, have fun.
    it's very easy to be disappointed on hwy 20... too many other cars driving too slowly

got back from the Bellevue GTG a bit ago. I had a bit of a change of plans while on my drive after talking to a girl (who I wish I'd talked to more ) at one of the overlooks. Ended up stopping at a trailhead for some cool views, then driving back and checking out Deception Pass, which I'd never seen before. It was just over 9 hours from Bothell and back.. averaged around 32mpg when all was said and done (was down to 29mpg at one point ). The car was awesome and the roads were great for the brief moments where I wasn't stuck behind slow motorcycles, RV's, or other random cars. The weather was awesome.

I've been awake 30 hours and was out on the road all day.. so I'm tired. Will work on pics later...

+ Reply to Thread