monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Germany

Germany

these are from my trip to Germany last September (2009). I'm finally getting around to finishing some of the photos I took during the last few days of the trip, which includes the area from Stuttgart to Austria, then Wolfsburg and Hamburg. There's no real commentary to go along with this.. because it's been a year and I really don't feel like spending hours writing things up right now (it normally takes me an hour or two just to write out the 'story' for my day trip threads).

somewhere on the Autobahn south of Stuttgart. This was a rest stop, parking garage, hotel, restaurant.. only time I'd seen something like this.

my favorite german fast food/snack.. Curry Wurst mit Brot

somewhere on the Autobahn.. or maybe along an L road in the Schwarzwald (black forest).. can't remember

Burg Hohenzollern (only showing a few of the pics here.. I have 81 photos online though). This hill originally had a castle on it in the 1600s. That castle burnt/broke down/whatever and was rebuilt in the 1700s. In the 1800s they built on top of/repaired/added to the existing structure, giving us what you see today. So this is a mid-1800s castle ("new" in German terms) with a lot of history. It's a Preußen (Prussian) castle for the Wilhelms (you may have heard of "Kaiser Wilhelm" before?). It's pretty spectacular.. when you enter you're basically just in a large spiral walkway that takes you up to the main area. There are so many doors, gates, moats, etc. that you can just imagine how they must have defended the castle 150 or 300 years ago. When you enter at the base (which is already at the top of the hill, and a rather long hike up from the parking lot, which itself is a rather impressive road up from the road below) you can't even see the main castle.

Sadly it was very foggy so the shots basically suck. If I were to go back on a partly cloudy day you'd be even more amazed

near the entrance

this was very dark.. could barely see

one of my favorite courtyards on the way up.. the gate at the top in the background is the entrance to the courtyard area that surrounds the base of the main part of the structure. At this point I thought I was impressed with what I had seen already

looking back from that gate

above the gate

the courtyard that completely encircles the main castle structure

there are statues of each Kaiser through the history of this castle that go the whole way around. They get older as you follow the path.

iirc this was the oldest. Who said people are fatter now than years ago?

finally.. the entrance to the main courtyard & castle area

looking down from that same area the last photo was taken

yup.. a unimog

from that tower shown going over the main courtyard entrance.. looking toward the main courtyard & castle

behold! This is mainly where the church, main living quarters, and entrance to tunnels, storage, etc. are. From this level you can enter into the casements, where tunnels lead out to guard & defensive areas in that courtyard area that surrounds the main castle.

you'd never know how high you are when walking around up here.. it looks like its own small town (and I guess it is..)

inside one of the chapels

looking back

model.. gives you a slightly better idea how the castle is laid out and structured

this is the bottom of a staircase from the main level down into one of the casements. This area was actually discovered in the 1990s and has been opened up to show visitors the foundation area of the 1700s castle that the existing castle was built on top of.

some of that 1700s castle foundation

the path actually leads out to a stair that goes up into this:

the castle's hill (now that there is some sunlight visible...)

zoomed in
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I approve of this thread!

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    mmmm currywürst

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    Is it weird that if I had the money I'd buy that place and live there? Put a moat in and pull the drawbridge up and keep door-to-door salesmen at bay. If that doesn't work, pour hot oil on them.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

"I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books."
    - Jorge Luis Borges

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    http://www.reedb.com/ad-137776-Helms...rmany/?lang=en

Fairly cheap for a castle if you ask me

hey Joel, did you go to Rothenburg ab der Taube? It is the closest thing you can get to a genuine medieval town. It is super old and they even have a tour at night led by the nightwatchman (some dude form the midwest US), but he does a good job.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    hey Joel, did you go to Rothenburg ab der Taube? It is the closest thing you can get to a genuine medieval town. It is super old and they even have a tour at night led by the nightwatchman (some dude form the midwest US), but he does a good job.
    hadn't heard of it until now, but I'll definitely have to check that out.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rothenburg_ob_der_Tauber
    yeah, I looked it up. It looks close enough to Frankfurt that it'd be easy to get to. Some of the photos online have modern cars in the shots.. completely ruins it

mmmm currywürst
    it's just Wurst, no?
    but yes... I sooo miss good German Wurst

Our view of the main gate @ Rothenburg

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    it's just Wurst, no?
    but yes... I sooo miss good German Wurst
    Probably. i just like using these extra keys on the keyboard

been around the block a few times EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20 is a jewel in the rough EK20's Avatar
    http://www.reedb.com/ad-137776-Helms...rmany/?lang=en

Fairly cheap for a castle if you ask me
    Wow, that's incredibly affordable. Don't even want to know how much work it needs.
    The soul that pines for eternity shall outspan death. You, dweller of the twilight void, come Dunwich

- Jorge Luis Borges

Does it matter? ITS A CASTLE!! you could probably be just fine living in the part that doesnt need work and have plenty of room!

the problem with castles and heating and electricity. Get that figured out and you're golden

Well thats nothing a good flannel and extension cord cant fix At least the temp stays constant. Due to the thickness of the walls and lack of sunlight, its about the same temp all year round. Nothing like being in 90° weather and stepping into a 55° alcove

Normal Member rover31 is on a distinguished road rover31's Avatar
    That castle is huge! Really cool pictures of that place.

I been there. I can dig up pics... they're all on kodachrome

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    When I think back
    On all the crap I learned in high school
    It's a wonder
    I can think at all
    And though my lack of education
    Hasn't hurt me none
    I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
    You give us those nice bright colors
    You give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
    When I was single
    And brought them all together for one night
    I know they'd never match
    My sweet imagination
    And everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome
    You give us those nice bright colors
    You give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome
    Mama, don't take my Kodachrome (away)

(Leave your boy so far from home)

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/paul+simon/#share

Normal Member MK1_FTW is on a distinguished road MK1_FTW's Avatar
    Awesome pics man! Thanks for posting!

sadly, K14 is for the most part, gone. it uses lots of methylethylbadshit so the process was banned in most places in the USA

Quote: Originally Posted by Fine Tuning View Post
    Does it matter? ITS A CASTLE!! you could probably be just fine living in the part that doesnt need work and have plenty of room!
    You've got me convinced.

- Jorge Luis Borges

you could renovate the place one room at a time. moving to each newly renovated room when it was complete.
    by the time you finished, you'd be ready to start over, like the golden gate bridge

Works for me. I've always wanted my own dungeon.

- Jorge Luis Borges

+ Reply to Thread