Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Feedback Please!

Forum Feedback Please!

Hey guys...
    this is the start of what I expect to become an active regional enthusiast community site. Right now there is just this forum, however I will also work on a main site (at pnwfahren.com) along with an information section where people can go for Community FAQ type info (gathered from forum threads here, and also provided directly by the community members). I am also debating providing cheap photo galleries similar to what can be seen in my own gallery.

Please read the 'beta' message at the top of the page. Please test and play with everything you can find on the site.. ask questions, suggest changes, etc. This forum software is incredibly powerful and flexible, so I fully expect to be playing with settings for the next couple of weeks as more people use the site and find issues.

I encourage you post here (or create a new thread) discussing any thoughts, ideas, criticisms, or questions you have about this project. I've spent months thinking about this and have bounced ideas off of several people, but there's nothing like opening suggestions up to the 'public'. Let me know what you think!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    allow uploading of custom avatars? please?
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    And thank you for not allowing img tags in signature lines
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    allow uploading of custom avatars? please?
    is it not set up yet? I kind of skipped over that section just to get this site up as quickly as possible. I'll go through everything more closely over the next couple of days.

did I? I don't think I have messed with those things yet. I certainly will not be allowing images in signatures though.

Something cool on this forum.. you should be able to embed youtube videos (and maybe videos from some other sites?).. feel free to check it out

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Something cool on this forum.. you should be able to embed youtube videos (and maybe videos from some other sites?).. feel free to check it out
    ok, here we go...

-Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    is it not set up yet?
    yeah, looks like we're allowed to upload a Profile Picture, but not an avatar yet
    -Tyler-

need some new smilies as well! If you happen to know of some free smilies we can put on the site post up the info here..

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    I think the classifieds needs subcategories.. IE: mk1, mk2, mk3, mk4, mk5, audi, misc, etc...

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    Agreed.

Man, Myth and Legend jason.lee is on a distinguished road
    Is there an "IM" function. I see the PM...it would be nice to have if it is available.

"PM" stands for "private message" and "IM" stands for "instant message". On forums they are one in the same.

Is there some specific functionality you were looking for?

I think he means so you can chat like AOL instead of having to refresh the site..

Don't make it a copy of the vortex.
    The vortex sucks wet dog balls.

Make it unique and friendly, and it will eventually grow. Keep it simple, and have fun doing your own thing.
    Make it a copy, and it will be just as cliquish and horrible as all the other forums on the interwebz. Although I suspect the same people will be here and run roughshod over the whole deal anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by lagomorph View Post
    Don't make it a copy of the vortex.
    The vortex sucks wet dog balls.

Make it unique and friendly, and it will eventually grow. Keep it simple, and have fun doing your own thing.
    Make it a copy, and it will be just as cliquish and horrible as all the other forums on the interwebz. Although I suspect the same people will be here and run roughshod over the whole deal anyway.
    Okay... there are some things I like about the vortex, which I have stuck here. Can you elaborate on some of the things you don't like about other forums you've been on, and what you would like to see here?

I want to make it clear too.. this isn't just a VW forum.. or just a copy of the vwvortex, at least it's not in my head. So any ideas people have both for bringing in a few other enthusiasts (focusing on German brands.. thus the site name) and for any good ideas you might have should be shared.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    The site looks good. The changes you want to make are ones that I already thought of. I think if you establish it as a private forum open to the public, you can retain a heavier hand when it comes to bans on certain individuals. Keeping it clean but fun is the key.

Thanks.. I'll admit I'm a little undecided on how I will present this forum to everyone else. Ideally I would love to throw stickers and fliers at everyone during this summer's events, but obviously fostering slower, 'smarter' growth may be better for keeping the drama limited. Tough choice..

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    I would say advertise the hell out of it. Just have a good moderating staff that you can trust to keep everything in check. When you bring the public in, you can't really go no moderators.

very true. I suppose I shouldn't be afraid of moderating, as long as the moderation is objective and founded in a clear set of rules.

(⌐■_■)
    can't change my avatar yet, I think since you *can* it might be a permissions issue, here is what I see when I go to the 'Avatar Settings' page:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-&#4.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	1  
    -Tyler-

can't change my avatar yet, I think since you *can* it might be a permissions issue, here is what I see when I go to the 'Avatar Settings' page:
    okay.. so you can attach an image to a post, but not add an avatar? I'm guessing you can't add a profile pic as well?

(⌐■_■)
    I was able to add a profile pic.
    -Tyler-

I was able to add a profile pic.
    you were? I don't see one..

(⌐■_■)
    well, it gave me the option to do it

and now I has an avatar
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    what's the time you have to wait to post again?
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread