Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 124 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 30 60 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Ahh gotcha kind of hard to see in the picture.
    To stiffen it up you could use a simple X-brace like on simple shelving or you could use Simpson strong tie type brackets.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    just transferred my Munich Dunkel to secondary fermentation. The FG was a bit off of the 1.013 (it was 1.021) that the recipe called for, but after some research, I decided it was time. Worst case scenario, I'll have a little less ABV than the 5.5% that it's supposed to have. Not to mention I was a bit under to begin with. oh well.

I can't expect the first batch to be spot on.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Awesome! Did you sample any of it?

Today I tried to get my cider to pour without foam!
    I tried with a bunch of different PSI's and no luck!
    I think my 6 foot line may be too short causing the foam.
    So I fired off a PM to a couple smart people on HBT forum.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    yeah, I drank about half of the gravity test tube. it was delicious except for being flat, a little warm for my taste, and kinda syrupy. haha.

All jokes aside, I can tell it's a very nice dark lager. My whole house smells like it now, and I love that. Took me a solid 20 minutes to clean the carboy, which accounts for the smell. In about a week and a half, I'm going to order my CO2 kit and start another batch. I want at least 2 beers at a time to be kegged. I like options.

l Arron lSPACE

Awesome! Yeah its nice to have options!

I plan to always have at least 2 selections on tap at all times.
    The one nice thing about buckets is that I was able to clean 3 of them in less than 5 minutes because I can get my hands and arms into them.
    The down side to the buckets is that I can't see whats going on inside the buckets.

I think the being abel to see inside outweighs the cleaning issue. just my opinion, though.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Awesome! Did you sample any of it?

Today I tried to get my cider to pour without foam!
    I tried with a bunch of different PSI's and no luck!
    I think my 6 foot line may be too short causing the foam.
    So I fired off a PM to a couple smart people on HBT forum.
    shorten the line, the draught guy at the LHBS said you shouldn't run more than 5 feet or you will end up with foaming problems (I'm guessing because of the large surface area inside that long of hose)

Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    just transferred my Munich Dunkel to secondary fermentation. The FG was a bit off of the 1.013 (it was 1.021) that the recipe called for, but after some research, I decided it was time. Worst case scenario, I'll have a little less ABV than the 5.5% that it's supposed to have. Not to mention I was a bit under to begin with. oh well.

I can't expect the first batch to be spot on.
    You can always re-pitch some yeast, won't do any damage.

In other news, I'm going to have to pick up a manifold and another tap for my 2nd keg. The NBA should come out of the fermenter this week, and then I am brewing again in 2 weeks, might even need another keg if we don't drink the stout fast enough.
    -Tyler-

True but i'm doing it for safety because of the kids. I've seen the glass ones explode!
    Maybe i'll get some plastic Better Bottles so I can watch the show.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Pick up some Better Bottles Ken
    -Tyler-

Once I get a fermenter i'll get some so the kids can't dork with them.

(⌐■_■)
    Here's one where the single-tier was set up to store the kegs underneath, wouldn't take too much to also make it stand on end for storage...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-n...ations-172927/
    -Tyler-

I like that one a lot!

that brutus is amazing.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    Ok, new design, I'm going to plan on a 3-tier for now, unless the r/c car sells I won't have enough monies for a pump. Will do an electric HLT, and keep my current burner for the BK. I will build it so that I can easily convert the top and bottom tiers, to a 2 tier, for when I can afford a pump. Also discovered yesterday that Joey at DJM will be willing to weld up some stainless for me, so my keggles are going to have nice welded fittings on them
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    ok, my 2 keggles (16.5" diameter x 24"), and this cooler (20"Lx18"Wx21"H), means I can go with 20" square levels for the brewstand. Make each level at least 2" above the top of the next, give me... 4" for caster (approx), 4" for the base, plus 1" for the burner, plus 26" to the next level, plus... oy, my head is hurting. But, I have a better idea of what I'm going to do now. back later with a sketchup...
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    crap, problem, don't know how tall my 6.5 gallon carboy is. I guess it's safe to assume it is 24" or under...
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Also discovered yesterday that Joey at DJM will be willing to weld up some stainless for me, so my keggles are going to have nice welded fittings on them
    Very nice! I'm still debating on if I want welded or weldless. I need to find someone that can weld stainless.

The order that I placed last week for ingredients is still in "Processing" mode......come on!

What false bottom are you going to go with?

(⌐■_■)
    just gonna use a manifold for now
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)

higher resolution: http://gallery.twardnw.com/var/album...g?m=1295983387

top shelf is 6'2 off the ground
    -Tyler-

You know it doesn't really look like the footprint is really that bad.
    A single tier would take up a lot more space unless it could flip up on end.

It'd be 6'2" tall eh? How tall are you?

(⌐■_■)
    eh, I think the single tier would/could have the same exact footprint.

I'm 6'4", but it's only the HLT that will be up that high, with the electric setup I am going to do, I just need to make sure there's water in it.
    -Tyler-

You have me by an inch!

So on my walk to and from the school I was thinking about that awesome one you posted above where you could put the kegs down low for storage.
    How fast do you think that he'd go thru a tank of propane?
    Have you considered down the line getting a bigger tank?

(⌐■_■)
    I have 2 tanks at my house all the time, so I don't really need to get a larger tank, can probably get 2 or 3 brew-days out of one bbq size tank
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread