Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 125 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 31 61 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    This thread is making me second guess all of my original plans.....hehe

I want to brew outside on the back patio where I have a natural gas stub so I could run the burners.
    But you keep mentioning having your HLT heated with electricity....hehe
    So then i'm thinking.....hmmmm I guess I could still brew on the patio and run the electric heater with my tri-fuel generator.....hehe
    Or, I could just run another circuit to the patio to power the heater element.

Ahhhhhh!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I suppose you could combine the 2. Use NG to bring the HLT up to temp quickly, and the a 120v element on a PID to maintain the temp
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    took a gravity reading of the Nut Brown Ale just now, according to math it is done, I am going to rack it to a secondary, condition for 4 days, and then keg and force carb.

The math part:

75% attenuation yeast, 1.044 OG = 1.011 FG, my reading was exactly that
    -Tyler-

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Have you ever thought of selling some of your beer?
    My friends have said that they'd buy growlers off of me..... tempting.

So for every 5 gallons of beer there's roughly 10 growlers of beer.
    It'd be nice to just get the ingredients paid for and maybe save some of the money to put towards equipment.

This weekend I will buy the supplies and hopefully start on the above ground planter box for the hops and the trellis.
    Next weekend I hope to get a couple loads of potting soil and mulch to fill up the boxes!

I can't wait for the store to send me the email letting me know that my pre-order of rhizomes is ready to pick up!

(⌐■_■)
    that is just one of the things that I will be able to enjoy *after* we buy a house. There's just nothing in this area that we want
    -Tyler-

I saw over on HBT that someone that moves around a bunch planted hops in 1/2 wine barrels and made a makeshift trellis. Maybe that'd work?

(⌐■_■)
    this house sucks for growing anything, the only 'yard' where there's even a chance of letting them grow is on the north side of the house

I have to say, having a keg in the garage is *not* good for my diet

and this evening I picked up a couple 2x4's, a 1500w 120v heating element, and some casters
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    this house sucks for growing anything, the only 'yard' where there's even a chance of letting them grow is on the north side of the house

I have to say, having a keg in the garage is *not* good for my diet

and this evening I picked up a couple 2x4's, a 1500w 120v heating element, and some casters
    If I was renting I wouldn't give a shiat and i'd put it right in the middle of the lawn!
    And, i'm sure its just fine having beer on tap.....hehe I love it!
    Can't wait to see what you come up with this weekend with the 2x4's and your heating element!

(⌐■_■)
    nothing will happen with the heating element yet, have to get a PID, SSR, thermal sensor, stainless fittings, valves, some short chunks of hose, etc
    -Tyler-

Hehe, its funny how the hobby turns everyone into a mad scientist putting all of the fittings an hoses together to make beer! Hehe

My wife and I are both really good cooks and when I showed her those 3 vids I posted a couple pages back she was like... yeah we need to make beer this way!
    This was all before I had even made my first batch!

Thanks for reminding me that I need to swing by Home Depot and replenish my supply of 2x4's I like to have on hand for whatever reasons.

(⌐■_■)
    y'know, I was doing some thinking this evening. My initial thoughts to doing a 120v heating element were negative, because I was thinking of the future and have to 're-do' a bunch of stuff when I go 240v. But, all I will really have to do is change the supply cable, and add another SSR to the existing panel I will have built. I *will* be out the cost of a propane burner, but that's not too big a deal.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    so if I pick this up, it only adds $50 to the total, I won't plumb in propane to the upper burner, and when I go all electric I will return my current burner to my buddy that I borrowed from. I'm pretty sure I can come up with an additional $50 worth of parts out of my garage to sell
    -Tyler-

Its like a race to all-grain!

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    you won't find a race with me. I'm scared as hell of all grain. lolz. maybe after I actually taste my first partial mash brew, I will start thinking about it.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

I think it actually looks easier but requires a couple more pieces of equipment.
    Did you watch those 3 videos that I posted a couple pages back?
    Looks super simple!

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    I didn't see them, I don't think.

I have no doubt I will be doing all grain in the future, I just don't know how soon it'll be. I'll leave most of the work to the authors of the partial mash recipes and wait till I can find some big boy britches. Then I'll go all grain. lulz
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    stand is coming along fairly well, need a couple more 2x4's though, the remnants that I had around the garage aren't quite enough to finish it off.
    -Tyler-

I should swing by, help you clean out your garage by picking up that stand and checking out the progress. As well as having a pint or two.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    sounds good to me, I'm here all evening

and I re-did my math, should be able to finish it without any more 2x4's, I forgot for a bit that I was lowering the top tier by 12" to accomodate a burner, instead of the all-electric keggle
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    just got back from returning my bro-in-laws saw (compound sliding miter), had him cut the tops on his table saw, time to go mount the plywood on this thing now.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    awww ****, I think I screwed up, I didn't place the middle tier high enough heh, guess that's why I kept thinking I needed 2 more 2x4's
    -Tyler-

Hehe, you need more wood!

I never made it to the hardware store to replenish my 2x4 supply!
    Maybe I can get away to do that tomorrow along with buying a bunch of pier blocks.

Oh, Homebrew Thread content...... My ingredients got here from Brewmasters Warehouse and they all look great!

(⌐■_■)
    and why haven't you brewed yet???
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread