Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 125 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 22 52 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Yup I have that book and i've probably read it 5 or more times!
    2 times from cover to cover and 3 times here and there!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    OMG I can't wait!

Hey has anyone made root beer or any other flavor pop?
    I'm thinking of buying some tomorrow and trying it out sometime!

Also, has anyone made hard cider?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I wanted to do hard cider this year, but could not source enough non-pasteurized cider
    -Tyler-

There's a place that I go to that i've seen it before.
    Its called Cider Works in Orondo, WA...... bit of a drive for you!
    They have 3 of their own ciders that kick ass!

Junior Member sportruck is on a distinguished road sportruck's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    There's a place that I go to that i've seen it before.
    Its called Cider Works in Orondo, WA...... bit of a drive for you!
    They have 3 of their own ciders that kick ass!
    There is a cider place next door to my work on woodinville-redmond road... unpasturized and good!
    We even gave the guy some syrah grape juice to play with...not sure what he did with it though.

If you make a hard cider, you can take some freeze it and have something we like to call 'applejack'...
    the alcohol does not freeze thus making a high octane cider....

yay, playing with fermentation is fun!

Quote: Originally Posted by sportruck View Post
    If you make a hard cider, you can take some freeze it and have something we like to call 'applejack'...
    the alcohol does not freeze thus making a high octane cider....
    Yeah I was reading up on a guy doing this on one of my 4x4 boards and he said not to transport it after making it.
    He said he driving thru California and at a fruit checkpoint they opened his cooler and called out the ATF and Department of Agriculture and they confiscated.
    A month later he received a huge fine in the mail.....hehe

Went to the LHBS in Kirkland and chit chatted for a while and just took in all of the smells!
    I will be brewing this weekend! YAY!

Junior Member sportruck is on a distinguished road sportruck's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Yeah I was reading up on a guy doing this on one of my 4x4 boards and he said not to transport it after making it.
    He said he driving thru California and at a fruit checkpoint they opened his cooler and called out the ATF and Department of Agriculture and they confiscated.
    A month later he received a huge fine in the mail.....hehe
    Im sure the ATF does not like this at all, they and the TTB want their tax money... Im sure the large fine covered said taxes

have fun brewing this weekend, whats your first batch gunna be?

It was part of the Groupon deal starter kit that came with an American Amber Ale.
    I signed up for Groupon just for this!

I bought 2 more kits online and i'll do them sometime during the week.
    Trying to have 3 choices of beer for the big family get together at Christmas time.

Pearl Jam - Corduroy
    "The waiting drove me mad..."

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    yeah, I keep watching the airlock on my porter, waiting for it to stop bubbling, maybe by the end of the week
    -Tyler-

I need to build something to keep my ferments at a stable temperature!
    When the temps dipped down outside the places I wanted to ferment went into the mid 50's.
    Those places are usually a steady 65 all year long.

(⌐■_■)
    Mine just sits in the downstairs bathroom

I do have a fridge though, need to install a lightbulb on a thermostat to heat it though, right now I have a thermo for cooling, but need to be able to bring it up to 50 or so for my next beer.
    -Tyler-

Looks like i'll have to make a wooden box with a light bulb in it with a temperature controller.
    I need to have it out in the garage because the kids are just too curious and I don't want them to mess stuff up.

(⌐■_■)
    yeah, no one needs crayons dropped into the primary
    -Tyler-

I found a Manny's clone recipe online and I can't wait to get it going also!

I didn't realize how much of a daily adventure this was going to be!

Earlier today I started a batch of hard cider and then I heard my kid getting excited about the bubbles!
    So I go into the kitchen to look and the bubbles that he shows me are going into the bucket.
    I asked him how it happened and he put his finger on the lid of the bucket and pushed down which then sucked fluid out of the airlock!
    AHHHHHH! So I moved it up to my bedroom closet and latched my bedroom door closed.

So now my projects that I have will be to build a fermenting chest that is temperature controlled and kid proof.......hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Mine just sits in the downstairs bathroom
    haha.. I wondered what that was
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

(⌐■_■)
    Ken, use vodka in your airlock. Sanitary, but doesn't matter if it gets into the batch
    -Tyler-

I need to swing by and grab a bottle of some crappy vodka so I won't be tempted to drink it.
    I have been using star san in the airlocks and blow off buckets.

I went to Lazy Boy Brewing in Everett, WA today to try some of their new stuff.
    They had a new Bavarian Hefeweizen that was super tasty so I got a growler of it.
    I also got a growler of Belgian and Amber..... yum yum!

Also went to the LHBS and picked up some ball lock connectors.
    Crap forgot to get the vodka while I was out!

(⌐■_■)
    Jen said that by the end of the year I may be able to buy some kegging equipment

got my eye on this one to start with, but I'll add a faucet to my fridge right away.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/corne...mes-empty.html
    -Tyler-

Awesome!
    IMO if you buy a kit don't get the CO2 with it!
    I learned that lesson when I bought my original kegerator kit for the fridge the previous owners left.
    I was all excited when I received the package and pulled out that brand new shiny aluminum CO2 tank!
    When I took it to Central Welding to be filled he took the tank to the back room and brought out a beat up dirty CO2 that was full.
    He said that they work on an exchange basis and they could fill my new tank if I wanted but they only do that every 2 weeks.

So i'd suggest for you to just go to a Central Welding and put a small deposit on a CO2 tank and get into their exchange system.
    As far as the corny tanks you can get them on craigslist for $25 all day long and sometimes 5 for $100.00.

The biggest expense is the regulator and I highly suggest to get a dual gauge unit so you can see tank pressure and beer line pressure.

Here's a good starter set minus the tank and keg..... http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/kits/shk.shtml
    Here's a good starter set with the tank and keg..... http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=511

(⌐■_■)
    -Tyler-

Awesome!
    Now buy a couple of those along with the link posted above and you're good to go!

My hard cider is still bubbling away and the bubbles are down to 1 every 2 1/2 seconds.
    I made it on the night of 11/28 so its been going for a whole week!

It smells awesome so far!

+ Reply to Thread