Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 23 53 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    what kind of airlock are you using?

bubbler

or 3-piece

I use a 3-piece, or if fermenting in my fridge, a piece of tinfoil
    -Tyler-

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I have tried the 3 piece until that day the kid was pushing on the bucket and it sucked down all of the star san in it.
    Ever since i've been using a "mini" blow off tube into a container of star san.

I bought 2 of the 1 piece bubblers that I want to try out with the next batch I make.

When I have a fermentation chamber down the line I will probably just do the blow off method and have all of the hoses go to one container of star san.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I think tomorrow is a good day to bottle some beer With any luck, this will be the last batch that I *have* to bottle
    -Tyler-

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    With any luck, this will be the last batch that I *have* to bottle
    Awesome! Did you pick up that kegging kit?

I kinda feel bad that I totally skipped the whole bottling stage!

This weekend I will be kegging up my American Amber Ale and on Friday I will keg up my Hard Cider so I can take them both to our big Christmas party!

(⌐■_■)
    don't have the kegging stuff yet, but I am pretty sure I will be getting it for christmas
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    well, seems Jen didn't actually take the time to place the order for the kegging equipment, so I just took care of that for her. Won't get it in time for Christmas, but I'll be able to start another batch of beer as soon as I bottle, and have the keg set up before it is done fermenting
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    and, just got emailed back, going to meet the guy selling all those corny kegs tomorrow morning and pick up 2
    -Tyler-

That sucks that it wasn't ordered......oh well though since you took care of it!

I still need to get some projects done around the house before I can keg up my stuff!

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    I dont know if this helps much, but my wife sent me this recipé. FWIW, Franziskaner is really good

Here you go. I upped the dme by 10% (from 5.75 lbs) so I could top off to 5.5 gals. BC called for Wyeast 3638, but I used the white labs cuz I don't like smacking things.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (from Beer Captured)

4 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
    2 oz Acid Malt

6 lb. 5 oz. Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract
    2¼ oz. Malto Dextrin

1 oz. American Hallertauer @ 3.5% (bittering hop)

¼ oz. Spalt (flavor hop)
    ¼ oz. Perle (flavor hop)

White Labs #WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

1½ cup Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract

OG: 1.052

1) Heat 1/2 gallon water to 155, then add the grains. Steep for 30 minutes.
    2) Sparge with 1 gallon 150 degree water, then bring wort to boil
    3) Add extract & malto-dextrin, top off to 2 1/2 gallons, bring to boil
    4) Add Hallertauer...boil 45 minutes
    5) Add Spalt & Perle...boil additional 15 mins
    6) Cool and top off to 5.5 gallons
    7) Pitch yeast

Is that a hint that you want me to try brewing that one? Hehe

Well if Santa brings me what I asked for because i've been a good boy then i'll be doing 10 gallon all grain batches next year!

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    oh yeah, sure! did I mention that it is very tasty? I must say though; if you drink too much it leaves a nasty hangover

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Is that a hint that you want me to try brewing that one? Hehe

Well if Santa brings me what I asked for because i've been a good boy then i'll be doing 10 gallon all grain batches next year!
    diving in headfirst

I'd be doing all-grain, but I don't have enough room to store the extra equipment
    -Tyler-

diving in headfirst
    Yeah you could say that!
    I'm pretty confident that I can do it because I get the whole process and i'd say i'm a pretty good cook and can follow directions. Hehe

Tyler, when you get a label on, post up a pic.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    absolutely
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    bottle my porter tonight, it's going to be christmas gifts. Turned out fairly well, a little sweeter than I anticipated, but hopefully the bottle aging will take a bit more of the sweetness out, has a nice coffee finish to it right now though.

I even cleaned and sanitized my carboy right after I was all done, so it is now ready for the next batch Just need to pick out what I'm going to do.
    -Tyler-

Hey there.
    I know you're getting some corny kegs here soon and I had a question for ya.
    Would you be interested in going in halfsies on some o-rings?
    They don't cost a lot but they come in quantities of 100 so figured we could split them up?

You can get 'em in bulk from McMaster-Carr, part numbers are...

Dip Tube O-Rings - 9452K172
    5/16" ID x 1/2"OD x 3/32" width, BunaN #109
    Pkg 100/$1.89

Post O-Rings - 9452K23
    7/16" ID x 5/8" OD x 3/32" width, BunaN #111
    Pkg 100/$2.15

Lid O-Rings - 9452K218
    3 1/2" ID x 4" OD x 1/4" width, BunaN #417
    Pkg 10/$12.50

Let me know and i'll buy them.
    My kegs came with a o-ring set so it'd be for future use.

(⌐■_■)
    The kegs I'm picking up are being provided with new o-rings too, don't think I'll need to replace them for a couple of batches at least. I'm sure we could find smaller quantities though
    -Tyler-

Yup lots of o-rings there but I was looking at the $ savings so we can pass that onto ingredients....hehe

I kegged my first batch of American Amber Ale tonight and did a quick carbonation....... yeah its yummy!

Just need to pick out what I'm going to do.
    IPA.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    find me a recipe
    -Tyler-

I'm stealing your glory.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    heh, thanks
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    picked up 2 corny-kegs earlier this morning
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread