Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 24 54 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Wooo hooo!
    Get them cleaned and filled!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    -Tyler-

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Awesome! The cherry stout's kinda scare me because i'm new at this but they sound soo good!

I ordered my last kit hopefully so I can jump into all grain in January!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    you crazy!

naw, I look forward to being able to do all-grain. Just need the space. If I didn't have this damn VW in my garage....

soon enough, soon enough.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    today is another brew day Doing a clone of Widmer Snow Plow, a nice dark stout. Gonna change it up at the end though, and add a little cherry and some vanilla (for aroma)
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Ken, on the topic of fermentation chambers, my problem is not cooling it down to an appropriate temp, but rather warming things up. Did a little searching today, and the easiest to implement idea I came across is to put the carboy in a big rubbermaid tub, fill with water, and use an aquarium heater to bring up the temp a few degrees.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/idea...ml#post1654503

had to protect mine from all the fluorescent lights we have around here, so I cut a hole in the lid of the tub, and have a towel wrapped around the portion of the neck that sticks out.

-Tyler-

Nice work!
    I have read another article where someone did something just like that but on a bigger scale.
    The place in my house that stays right around 60 for 9 months of the year needs that because it gets colder in the 3 winter months.

(⌐■_■)
    I'm going to work on a thermostat system for my fridge too, eventually I want to do a lager, will need to maintain 50 or so.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    crappy cell phone pic

-Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    better pics

-Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    This thread has me drooling. I've been considering getting into home brewing for a few months.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...arter-kit.html

thoughts?
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    Northern Brewer is good stuff. Be sure to pick up 'How To Brew' as well, extremely good book for getting started. Also, search for a home-brew store near you, they should have a beginners brewing class that you can attend.
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    good deal. now all I need is to get paid tomorrow. or find an investor. haha

l Arron lSPACE

Awesome beer fridge twardnw!!

Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    This thread has me drooling. I've been considering getting into home brewing for a few months.
    I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...arter-kit.html
    That looks like a pretty complete kit minus the ingredients!
    I went the plastic bucket route to save a bit of money, they're easier to clean and I have kids in the house so I didn't want any accidents.

(⌐■_■)
    wow, I have wasted way too much time today reading through build threads on homebrewtalk.com today
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Awesome beer fridge twardnw!!

That looks like a pretty complete kit minus the ingredients!
    I went the plastic bucket route to save a bit of money, they're easier to clean and I have kids in the house so I didn't want any accidents.
    I've decided on this kit for sure now. after a couple batches, I'm going to splurge for a 2 keg system from a retailer on ebay. He sells 2 kegs, a C02 bottle and all the needed fittings and hoses for around $200. way cheaper than the upgrade to the keg brewing system on northern brewer.

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    http://www.beveragefactory.com/

and like Ken said earlier, don't buy a CO2 tank out-right, gas places work on exchange basis, unless you want to wait for 2 weeks for your nice shiny tank to come back
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    also, I think I am going to try Apfelwein next. Seems too simple to be true, 5 gal of apple juice (Tree Top is fine), 2 lbs fermentable sugar, Red Star Montrachet yeast (for dry wine, WyEast 3068 for a bit sweeter), ferment till your appropriate ABV (some guys in HBT let it go till 10%+), keg or bottle, age for 3-12 months.

But, there are reports of it at 1 month, and being good then.
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    I'm going to splurge for a 2 keg system from a retailer on ebay.
    Buy your kegs on craigslist! There is a guy in Olympia that sells them all day long for $25 each!

I pieced my stuff together because I already had a kegerator set up before I started brewing so I just needed to add the corny kegs and fittings.

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    also, I think I am going to try Apfelwein next.
    I did this a couple days after I brewed my first beer!
    Its been fermenting since 11/29 and it is still bubbling away and I can't wait until its ready!

(⌐■_■)
    have you taken a gravity reading of it yet?
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    also, what temp are you fermenting that at?
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Buy your kegs on craigslist! There is a guy in Olympia that sells them all day long for $25 each!

I called to buy 3, but he didn't answer. I'll try again tomorrow.

l Arron lSPACE

have you taken a gravity reading of it yet?
    I haven't yet because I didn't want to disturb it.
    I'm also starting to realize its not as easy to check the gravity with a bucket because of the lid.
    Thinking that I may have to put a hole in the lid for a plug that I can take out and put a wine/beer thief in.

also, what temp are you fermenting that at?
    Its in the master bathroom which is between 65 and 70.
    Oh, my wife said that when it was at its busiest with the bubbling that the whole house smelled like dirty feet....hehehe
    I thought it smelled like "awesome!"

(⌐■_■)
    just a plain ol' bucket, no spigot? I'd use my bottling bucket, then you can draw off a sample easily
    -Tyler-

Yeah a plain bucket with a grommet in the lid with a blow off tube.

Being the newbie that I am I wasn't confident enough with the secondary bucket with the spigot that it wouldn't leak.
    Also having kids around I didn't want them to be tempted to open it.

+ Reply to Thread