Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 125 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 29 59 ... LastLast

Thread: PNWfahren - Homebrew thread

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I'm thinking of building an expandable single-tier setup, have a main segment that is large enough for a MLT, then side 'tables' that swing up to hold the HLT and BK. And, if I go electric, there's an extra 50 amp receptacle sitting in a closet here at work, and I won't have to worry about burning up a wood brew sculpture.
    -Tyler-

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I was thinking something like this would be nice that I could just roll it out and set it up then roll it back.
    It would also be nice if I could flip it up to stand it on end and use as 3 shelves to hold the kegs in between brew days.

Trying not to turn the whole garage into brew equipment storage.

Was thinking of something in the 24" deep x 60" wide x 36" tall

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Last edited by unimogken; 2011.01.20 at 16:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Pic.

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    that's flipping awesome. wish I had seen that before buying the turkey deepfryer that I bought as a brew kettle.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

If it was for natural gas it would be in the mail on the way to my house.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I've been working on a google sketchup of a single tier system this evening. Since I now have 2 kegs, I need to get ball valves, a sight-glass, some nice big thermometers, a cooler, some copper tubing, pumps, quick releases, tubing, GAH! So much fun stuff, so little money
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Ok, I couldn't wait any longer, had to have another glass of the stout, and that turned to 2, and will possibly be a third...

this beer is going to be dangerous, it feels more like drinking a 3% than the 5.7 that it is.
    -Tyler-

I got dibs on a sixer! I can run over tomorrow. Mebbe pick up that engine stand....? Does it break down enough to fit in my bimmer trunk or wagon?
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.01.20 at 23:08 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

This is what inspired me to jump into all-grain.
    Try to ignore the guy that is filming because he is pretty annoying.
    Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3. Keep your eyes for some German car content.....hehe

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    I got dibs on a sixer! I can run over tomorrow. Mebbe pick up that engine stand....? Does it break down enough to fit in my bimmer trunk or wagon?
    no sixers of this one, unless you want really flat beer, I don't have a filler for carbonated beer (yet), so you'll just have to drink it here But, on Saturday Joe is having an X Games gathering, I am going to take it over to his place (or maybe Deans, we haven't decided where yet exactly)
    -Tyler-

Growlers FTW!

(⌐■_■)
    even with a growler, would still need to fill it under pressure so the beer doesn't lose all it's carbonation

I really like this single-tier : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weld...s-build-164749
    -Tyler-

Hmm, well when I get growlers at Georgetown Brewery they fill them up right there and don't do anything special and they say that they'll last up to 2 weeks.

That's funny that you posted that brew stand because I bookmarked that thread last summer! I like the dimensions of it but i'd add another vertical bar in the middle so I could stand it on end and have a top, middle and bottom shelf between brew days.

(⌐■_■)
    Been doing some planning. Don't have enough money to go with a single tier setup, pumps, hoses, valves, etc, will run me out of any chance of ever building this thing. So, I will do 3-tier, but only build a structure that has 2 tiers. One for HLT, and one for MLT, and have my BK just sitting on the burner, on the ground.

I can easily get a heating element and PID for the HLT, that's the biggest concern to me, having accurate mash temps. I can get that part set up for ~$150 (PID, SSR, and element). Won't be doing step-mashes, but that can wait.

Then I just need a cooler, DIY manifold, and 2 valves, and I'll have the stuff I need to get started

edit : oh yeah, this PID : http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=3

can use a standard k-type thermocouple, which is cheap and easy to acquire
    -Tyler-

Today is random thoughts day .....hehe

I was just doing some reading up on yeast washing and wondered if you did this?
    Here's a link to a good video showing how to do it.....really simple!

When I kegged up the apfelwein my wife was helping because she wants to learn the whole process.
    She saw the yeast cake at the bottom of the bucket and we separated off 2 cups yeast and she made some apple muffins with it and they were awesome!

Also I was reading up on what people do with the spent grains when they do an all-grain batch and a bunch of people make dog biscuits with it!
    I can't wait to try that also because my dog, friends dog and bro inlaws dogs would love them! Heck, I might even love them.....hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Don't have enough money to go with a single tier setup.............So, I will do 3-tier
    You could build one similar the the one above that's a 1-tier when horizontal and a 3-tier when vertical.

When I get to that point for a stand I will contact bradmaus's friend that is a welder and have him weld it up for me.

(⌐■_■)
    I don't do any yeast washing/storing right now, haven't found the one beer we like enough to keep the same variety around for a while. Nice to know other things can be made from it though.

could you brew in a pure-vertical 3-tier? Seems like it might be kinda difficult/cramped
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    could you brew in a pure-vertical 3-tier? Seems like it might be kinda difficult/cramped
    Probably true if you're using 1/2 kegs......well dang.
    I'll have to mess around with some plans in my head. Hmmm

I just ordered the ingredients for the Three Weisse Guys - American Wheat from John J. Palmer's book. Also ordered most of the ingredients for Rabbit 16v's Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (from Beer Captured).

(⌐■_■)
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    d'oh, that won't work, need the BK (and thus everything else) to be higher, so I can gravity drain the BK into my carboy
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    oooh, just though of another idea, make it yet another 6" higher (after raising for BK-> carboy), and mount a CFC under the BK, that would gravity drain into the carboy!
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    :shocked:

http://brewhemoth.com/brewhemoth

$429, shipped!

they have 15 gallon kettles for $139, but are not taking orders right now for those.
    -Tyler-

Wow that's a great deal on that conical! Especially since it has free shipping!

The problems that i'm running into is that a hobby is going to be taking over a ton of space and I need to figure something out.

I like that stand you made but it takes up a bunch of space!
    We need to come up with something and market it to guys like us that want to brew big in a limited space!

The new beer.....awesome! It's the best so far!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Wow that's a great deal on that conical! Especially since it has free shipping!

The problems that i'm running into is that a hobby is going to be taking over a ton of space and I need to figure something out.

I like that stand you made but it takes up a bunch of space!
    We need to come up with something and market it to guys like us that want to brew big in a limited space!
    well, since I started it at 24" wide, I could make each level slightly narrower than the next higher, so that the 3 tiers stack together. Would have to come up with some sort of system to fasten them together so it's not wobbly though
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread