Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2008 KTM 690 Enduro build thread

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough

2008 KTM 690 Enduro build thread

So, a few months ago I bought a 2008 KTM 690 Enduro with just under 13k on the clock. That's high-ish miles for a bike like this, and the guy I bought it from only had it for a year. Since this thing has a somewhat unknown history, some known potential failure points, and a future of hauling me deep into the wild, I figure a tear down is in order. I also have some goodies to throw at it during the rebuild phase. Goals are to ride the Washington Backcountry Route, and spend a couple weeks riding around Baja. Without further ado:

The bike, as purchased:

Added racks, and some aluminum boxes (not pictured).

Test riding :

The teardown:

Bottom of the fuel tank is seeping gas. Tank is at the back of the bike (removed in the above picture) and doubles as the subframe. This is where the fuel pump lives:

The fuel pump is a known failure point, so I'm going to see if it's been replaced or not, and source a new one if not. Will keep the old one as a spare.

Another known failure point is the rocker arms in the earlier motors. Will check part numbers when I get the head cover off the motor, and check valve clearances while I'm in there.

High pressure fuel line going to the injector was rubbing on the sharp threads of a protruding bolt. Previous owner wrapped the line with Gorilla Tape, which worked as a band-aid. I added the jam nut to cover the end of the thread, and put heavy wall heat shrink over the fuel line for protection.

These wires run too close to the exhaust head pipe (removed) for my liking. Common failure point on other bikes to get melted stator wires:

And now, the farkles!

Got the powered cradle for my Garmin Montana 680t installed on the bars. Will get it wired in and mount the audio jack once I get back to buttoning things up.

Ultra heavy duty tubes for pinch flat resistance:

Safari fuel tank, made in Australia. Doubles on board fuel capacity, and puts the weight at the front for better stability on a loaded bike:

Heated grips:
    No pictures of the install, but they are a must for winter riding.

Will update thread with other good stuff as I get it installed!

Edit: Pictures are fixed.
    Last edited by benny_mech; 2018.03.15 at 12:36 PM.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

Pulled the guts out of the KTM 690 fuel tank. Looks like the original failure prone fuel pump and very dark colored fuel filter. No bueno. New stuff is on the way, and I'll keep the old pump as a spare.

— C.G. Jung

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Awesome! I really need to get my Motorcycle endorsement one of these days.

To tell the truth, I hate riding on the road. The only reason I've got this thing is to get out to the dirt and do longer trips out in the boonies than my dirt bike will currently do. Traffic is insane around here, and the speed limits on the back roads are so slow that riding the bike is just boring. Getting up into the mountains on the fire roads is fun though.
    — C.G. Jung

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Ya, thankfully where we live, I can get to a lot of backroads without having to hit the main highways. I wouldn't want to ride in / near the city.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    sure wish I could do that, 30+ minute drive at the shortest to get up into the national forests from here
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread