Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clementine, the 83’ Scirocco

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar

Clementine, the 83’ Scirocco

Meet the newest family member Clementine, an all original 83’ Scirocco have the original key and it matches all the locks. Owners manual is in it also. Front seats are the only issue in the interior. Carpet just needs brushing and vacuuming. Only a couple of dings on the body. Has 271,xxx miles on it, but pulls strong and it fires right up when you turn the key. Only two small cracks on the dash!

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.06.24 at 15:48 PM.

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.07.26 at 20:27 PM.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.06.24 at 15:50 PM.

Normal Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Very cool ..... and a period correct cassette deck

It actually works, well the radio does, would have to dig around for a cassette. I have few sill, local band demos from high school and such.

Well did the morning after “what did I actually get myself into” check over of the Scirocco and still beyond psyched. Only glowing needs is valve cover,oil pan and oil cooler caskets, which I will do at the first oil change.

Went through and got what lights that were not working, working. Two bad bulbs and the others were either unplugged or corroded.

Changed the black handle inserts to chrome, bought a gas cap for it, installed a K&N filter in it I had laying around, discovered only one one air box clip was actually clipped.

Replaced vacuum lines, filled the tank, added sea foam to the tank also. And replaced the front and rear wiper blades.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.06.24 at 15:51 PM.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    So nice to look at the pictures on the computer...as opposed to the stupid phone.

Nice car!

Thanks! Feel like a found a gem.

Lucked out and scored an inspection this morning, she passed, all licensed now!

Drove it 135 miles today freeway, city, stop and go, not a single issue. More confused then ever as to why it was at a junkyard.

Fixed some things, new hatch lifts, old runs didn’t come off without a fight, greased all the locks, installed a programmable wiper relay, replaced the broken coil ground, replaced the bad back up light switch, installed my spare MoMo whee, installed new sunroof crank and replaced the heater control light.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.06.30 at 16:42 PM.

Scored some stuff for the Rocco today, hit the yards and got a bunch of odds and ends I noticed it needed. I stuff I figured I better grab for spares.

But the big score of the day was a barely used set of Tokico illumina 5 way adjustable rebound shocks/struts, H&R race springs, neuspeed front upper strut bar and Eurosport rear upper strut bar, from a guy on OfferUp. All for the grand total of $190!

So I did a few things to the Rocco tonight, every time a poke around on it I get more and more confused as to why it ended up at a junkyard.

I changed/replaced the hatch lock seal, installed the new parcel shelf straps and a new set of clutch and brake pedal covers. The clutch pedal one was missing.

Now here is where I have to scratch my head, I went to put the tear drops that came on the Cabriolet on it and was surprised to see like new brakes front and rear.

Pads and rotors look barely used and the set screws are shiny. The drums have zero rust or discoloration. The grease caps on the drums are shiny and new too. Not what I was expecting to find when I took the wheels off!

looks like it needs the opposite of a truck “front leveling kit”. I remember my 82 Scirocco having that same stance before it got dropped springs.

Yeah, the suspension is a little worn, it’s a tad floaty.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Got to love that reverse rake! I'm sure you'll fix that soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    Got to love that reverse rake! I'm sure you'll fix that soon.
    It’s on the list and the parts are sitting in the garage.

Tune up parts are starting to trickle in for the Scirocco, including some other stuff. My Dreadnought brass parcel tray clips came today. Going to install the pivots at a later date. The original are plastic, break all the time and no longer available.

Haven’t done any real work on it yet, troubleshot the power mirrors and waiting on parts. My test patterns came from CoComats, they checked out so I placed an order for them.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/as...sn4pc.jpg.html
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.08.04 at 21:35 PM.

Picked some Corrado seats, they sit lower, yay more headroom! Not perfect, bad way better than what’s in it.

Did some small stuff, installed the nos gauge sender and oil pressure gauge. Replaced the heater fan switch and the ashtray bulb with a replaceable bulb socket.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.08.04 at 21:36 PM.

Changed the bad passenger side axle and threw the new to me suspension in. Discovered 10 pounds of crud in the rear wheel wells, I actually bagged it and weighed it. Driving a lot better now.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.08.04 at 21:37 PM.

Couple of quick projects this morning, installed the front and rear upper tie bars. Softened the rebound by one click, was a little to stiff yesterday. Took it for a quick drive and I am very pleased. Now just need to get a k-bar and upgrade the stock swaybar bushings and the suspension will be set.

New floor mats came for the Scirocco! Not going to actually run them till I do all the maintenance and detail it though.

Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2018.09.15 at 18:48 PM.

Was going to pull it in and go through the entire brake system, but found this when I jacked it up.

Coming from here.

The fuel accumulator is shot, so I ordered a new one. Kind of but a snag in my plans for it today without being able to drive it. So I focused on the main issue, a broken ebrake cable.

Replaced both and repacked the wheel bearings.

You have to admit though, not a better place for it to start leaking.

Quote: Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
    You have to admit though, not a better place for it to start leaking.
    I know, just bummed, was excited to start clocking some miles in it finally.

Maybe a dumb question but have you ever tried linking the sequential throttle blades on the stock throttle body together so they both open together with a bolt or zip tie? That was the first “free mod” I did on mine back in the day. Kind of gives it an instant throttle response feeling.

Haven’t done anything under the hood yet.

+ Reply to Thread