Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 31 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 BMW E21 320i in Alpinweiss, my plans to go from rough to tough

sell the parts. someone out there in the world is crazy and is restoring a rare blue interior like I am.

I'm sure of it. I think that passenger seat alone should pay for my upcoming interior swap.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

The garage is mostly cleaned up. Now I should be able to get some work done. Now I need to quit being lay and get the bolts to attach the engine to the stand.

I need to get some shelves badly and to connect up those lights. Right now the garage has no power.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I've been working on cleaning up parts before I install them tomorrow.

There's one thing I've never seen before. Disk and drum at the same corner. Crazy old school.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

what? that's called a 'hat' rotor - my E30 has this, as does both my benzes. this has been a standard parking brake setup on disc rear german cars for years.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Jen's Subaru, and my Volvo are both set up like that too
    -Tyler-

This is the oldest car I've owned. My 2006 GLI, 2004 R32, 2003 4Motion do/did not have them.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

There's a dude that was referred to me by the guy who sold me the M20B23 that is doing his best to talk be out of the engine. So far the best offer is a set of 15" BBS. I don't know which ones yet. He offered me $100, I kindly declined.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Ooooh, he just offered up some coilovers.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Not just coilovers, fully adjustable coilovers with front and rear camber adjustment. I think we might have a winner. The engine was going to require probably almost another $1000 in odd and end bits to get up to where I wanted to go with it. And the nosebleed height was starting to cramp my style. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.02.18 at 19:44 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Yeah those hat rotors are pretty common on the older cars and also on on some domestic stuff.

One of the weirdest brake setups is commonly called the "Audi UFO."
    Link to a pic here...... (don't want to post non-BMW stuff here)

Those are crazy.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Today, more cleaning.

Here's a close up of the messy, rusty, dirty, tar-coated parts before:

And after some love they look like this:

Pretty much everything here is going to have to come off

Here's a little side job that popped up. You can't see it, but someone tried to hold the boot on with a zip tie (this really is like a MK1 )

As soon as I find some cheap 205/50/15 tires I'll be able to put on the front wheels too.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member curtnutss is on a distinguished road
    I think you should look in to 4piston volvo front calipers ! they bolt right up with early vented 320 rotors! you will need bigger rims !

just a thought ......

I've had that thought in mind. When I get around to doing the suspension, I'll probably take that on too. Are you saying that they wont clear 15's?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member curtnutss is on a distinguished road
    I think they will, They wont fit the stick 13's.

I did a quick test fit of the front wheels and they don't clear. I'm guessing I need about 10mm to clear. Anyone have some and know if I need longer lugs when running 10mm?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    yeah, you should get longer lugs for 10mm spacers
    -Tyler-

chad needs to scrape and paint his ceiling

Those Primes are going to nickel and dime me. Spacers, lugs, hubcentric rings, might as well get the valve stems done when I swap the tires. Is there anything else? TPMS retrofit?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

roundels for the caps?

They would be awkwardly large to fill the center cap space.

Picked up some upgraded subframe mounts

And some 10mm hubcentric spacers and extended lugs that fit the Prime's perfectly.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Here's the difference in the subframe mounts. They definitely tighten up the rear end's response. But I immediately noticed the noise difference as well.

And after all this, I found where the fault is that's wacking out my camber.

Here's a view across the bottom of the right A arm:

And of the left, notice the bulge downward:

The good news is that I have a set of 323i A arms. But, I need to mod them to hold E30 brakes first. Correction, I have to mod the calipers.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.02.21 at 07:58 AM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Today I'm selling off my M20B23 for what I paid for it. But, I'm keeping the tranny and prop shaft. Good deal there. And for an additional $40, I'm getting a more complete M20B23 that was plucked from a running car. It'll be nice to have all those random bits that would be hard to find like hoses, fasteners and the sort.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread