Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 BMW E21 320i in Alpinweiss, my plans to go from rough to tough

Between the weather and me just being a broke-ass, this last week's progress has been slow. But, I was able to collect up a few parts.

E30 rear brake calipers

Just as a little education on the matter: To fit the E30 disk brakes on an E21 320i, you have to have a set of 323i rear control arms. They mate up to the rear subframe the same as the 320i arms. But the whole hub assembly is different as the 323i has disk brakes in the rear. The benefit of E30 calipers vs. the E21 323i calipers is only the accessibility of brake pads and replacement parts. You'd have to shop on the internet to find the E21 323i pads and parts, whereas E30 brake parts are as easy to find as wet grass during the winter. The calipers need only a bit of grinding and drilling to fit on the 323 hub. The mounting holes have to be enlarged and the blocky lump in-between the mounting holes needs to be ground down. And that's it, you have improved braking, a rare setup on a US E21 and easy to find replacement parts.

And just some whoring for whoring's sake.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.04.24 at 21:55 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Junior Member Az636 is on a distinguished road
    Wow man, awesome build thread!

I lurked in here from Bimmerforums ... I've had work done by Werkstatt a few times, so i figured I'd pop in and see the thread

Awesome work, Subscribed!

-Az-

Thank you sir, and welcome to the forum.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Your car is stupid and I hate your face.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by vanilla gorilla View Post
    Nice fan club you have Twelvizm! Hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by vanilla gorilla View Post
    I only know one vaginilla gorilla and he doesn't live in PDX anymore. Jeremy, why do you have to steal Ernie's nickname? Fial! Lol!
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.03.04 at 09:13 AM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I've seen those. It's my exact car. Same interior color, seats, steering wheel, everything as it came on my car. Although now I've changed things.

And it has euro bumpers. I saw these on German eBay, they're about $50US.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    I only know one vaginilla gorilla and he doesn't live in PDX anymore. Jeremy, why do you have to steal Ernie's nickname? Fial! Lol!
    whatever, Ernie is the size of a toothpick..even now he's a lil guy.. his should be 'vanilla lemur'. leave the 'gorilla' to the big boys.

Your mom is a little guy!

Welcome to the forum J. This place is a nice haven for the mature, errrr, adult auto enthusiasts of the PNW.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Your mom is a little guy!

Welcome to the forum J. This place is a nice haven for the mature, errrr, adult auto enthusiasts of the PNW.
    speak for yourself

Are you neither adult or mature? Should I have said "old and decrepit" so that you felt better represented?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    I still don't have a buyer for my M42/G240 and driveline! Help fund my S50 swap

I'll give you $200 and not buy the M20B23 tomorrow. I've been real tempted to get a M42 because the hp is about the same as a M20B23 except it weighs less and gets better mpg.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    So what's the best way to clean up exhaust manifolds? I don't have much faith in high temp paints because even if they don't cook off, they almost always discolor. Maybe there's a brand that doesn't and I don't know about it?
    A bunch of the truck guys use a POR-15 manifold paint or Wurth exhaust paint.
    Wurth makes AWESOME products!

Oh I know. I haven't used anything by Wurth that doesn't work as advertised and better than anything it competes with. HK 2000 is some of my favorite stuff ever! And the silicone spray, wonderful!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I'm off to the Werkstatt to see if I can finally upgrade these rear control arms and hubs to the 323 ones with the E30 brakes I'm been babbling about. And swap out the beat up sub-axle.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    hmmm, I should come down there and hassle you, need to pick up a few more things at Halsey too...
    -Tyler-

Doooo eeeeeet! Beer might buy you lift time too.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    A bunch of the truck guys use a POR-15 manifold paint or Wurth exhaust paint.
    Wurth makes AWESOME products!
    I'm off to the Werkstatt to see if I can finally upgrade these rear control arms and hubs to the 323 ones with the E30 brakes I'm been babbling about. And swap out the beat up sub-axle.
    I got the car to the shop, put it up in the air, took off the wheels and realized I forgot the calipers at the house. (planning fail)

I'm starting to feel too lazy to work on this. Maybe tomorrow. (procrastination win!)
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.03.05 at 13:28 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

This looks like a better use of my time and energy today. Thanks Tyler!

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Here's the summation of my day.

I think I'll put the wheels on, put the empty growler down and walk home . Good thing it's a 2 block walk. I did manage to order parts to service every part of this brake/hub/323i rear end swap. Too bad it won't be here until Monday.

Hiccup, burp!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Yeah why work on a car when you can drink beer instead.........hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Yeah why work on a car when you can drink beer instead.........hehe
    That's what I'm wait, what?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread