Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 BMW E21 320i in Alpinweiss, my plans to go from rough to tough

Well, I've changed my mind for the moment. I'm going to hold off on any motor swapping until I have some other things taken care of first. Especially since I have a lower mileage motor in perfect running condition. I need to focus on some of the smaller niggles that keep popping up. My hazard switch broke and it contains the relay for the turn signals. And yesterday I found a puddle in the passenger footwell.

So between the cost of all the parts needed for the rear brake upgrade and that hazard switch, it's eaten my motor monies.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Screw that stuff you always have hand signals!

I'm in the same situation with my truck!
    The truck runs, it drives but none of the lights work!
    I drove it down to 7-11 that is 3 miles away and I don't think anyone knew what I was doing with the hand signals.

Now I'm off to go pick up this:

And to do a little shuckin and jivin on some other fiddly bits.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Picked up the bar and a K&N drop in filter. Tomorrow is going to be a busy car day.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Well, I've changed my mind for the moment. I'm going to hold off on any motor swapping until I have some other things taken care of first. Especially since I have a lower mileage motor in perfect running condition. I need to focus on some of the smaller niggles that keep popping up. My hazard switch broke and it contains the relay for the turn signals. And yesterday I found a puddle in the passenger footwell.

So between the cost of all the parts needed for the rear brake upgrade and that hazard switch, it's eaten my motor monies.
    Well good cause my motor wont be coming out till June anyway! I will be pulling ECU,wiring,engine,trans,driveshaft (DS is still under warranty from Driveline Specialty of Portland)

It should include the entire shifter/uuc short shift mike gave me, The motor needs a new oil pan because the PO decided to strip every bolt on the oil pan. I tapped most of them (giggity) but i wouldnt recommend using that oil pan because the bolts are not a standard size! The PO told me they put 1000 into the motor but had no receipt to prove it, but i looked at the cams and timing chain and they look new

Very nice! I think that is going to work out nicely. I think I see Megasquirt in my future. And 140hp and 35mpg.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    don't come looking to me for help
    -Tyler-

Very nice! I think that is going to work out nicely. I think I see Megasquirt in my future. And 140hp and 35mpg.
    Why wouldnt you just use my stock ECU? add a mark d chip and boom you got 140hp 35mpg easy! I get 35 highway and 25-28 city and i have a lead foot

I did a crap load of replacing of parts tryin to get those bad boy running good, it has all new injectors, all new hoses, new intake gaskets, new waterpump/thermostat,ICV,o2, spark plug wires but recommend scrapping them and get the COP kit
    Last edited by en318ispdx; 2011.03.07 at 13:49 PM.

Today's progress is more cleaning up and putting it together.

I ground down the nub so it fits the 323i hubs as well.

Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.03.07 at 15:08 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by en318ispdx View Post
    ...gine,trans,driveshaft (DS is still under warranty from Driveline Specialty of Portland)...
    how are these guys? i would like to have the pickup's driveshaft serviced

The bar was a little rough so I primered it and repainted it.

(I didn't paint it there, just hung it to dry out of the weather)

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    Back when I had a BMW, I got a new/reman drive shaft from Driveline Service up in NoPo http://www.driveshafts.com/

Good service, good price.
    -Tyler-

I'm going to have to keep their number in the ol Rolodex. Since axles for an E21 are harder to find these days.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I'm going to have to keep their number in the ol Rolodex.
    Want to know how I know that you're old? Hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    don't come looking to me for help
    You're probably going to have to move in for awhile.

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Want to know how I know that you're old? Hehe
    . . And I really have one too.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

these things used to fail even back then. it won't stay in, will it?

Nope. It's just a piss poor design. I ordered a new one and it didn't work straight out of the box. I ordered another one that seems to work. I'm half tempted to remove the spring and superglue it in the off position.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

my fave fix is to jam 1" of folded mcdonald's straw in between the button and the housing.
    if I was you, I'd sacrifice a used one and glue it.

Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    Ya they are great, damn good price and they had a M42 DS in stock! I will probably end up getting another one for my S50 motor but ill probably start with a 25 dollar junk yard one, they charge a bit for core charge so i can't just go buy an E36 DS

cool. i want the shaft rebuilt in the toyota. it's a 2-piece affair with a center support bearing that's gone soft and now rumbles down the highway.
    ill call them tomorrow.

I had to widen the opening on the carrier a bit. I test assembled everything. Just need new anti rattle clips and I'll slap this bitch together and put it on. I have design work to do tomorrow so it'll have to wait until Thursday.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Today's little baby step.

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    That came out nice!

Thanks. It was 2 coats of self-etching primer and 2 coats of Rustoleum. I have to say it's the best rattle can paint job I've done. The paint laid nice and smooth.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Got the whole ass end apart and then found out that the 323i and the 320i axles are different. Now I'm sitting at the shop procrastinating on putting the car back together. FML! I'm going next door to get a beer.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread