Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 BMW E21 320i in Alpinweiss, my plans to go from rough to tough

Half done with the beer and the car. I'm tired. Who wants to rub my feet?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

A little update. This is where things might get a bit confusing. I've found out that there is E21 Early and Later versions of almost everything. The 323 parts I have are from an early and my car is a late 320. So, it's causing some hiccups while trying to put on these 323 trailing arms. The axles, spindles, trailing arms and wheel bearings are all different. So I'm going to try and load a set of new later wheel bearings into the 323 trailing arms so I can use the 320 later parts. I'm going to try and get on the lift soon and do a little more trial and error.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    Well that sucks!!

junk all that shit and put E30 suspension underneath that rig

I've thought about it. If I had it to do over, I would have bought an E30 rear setup instead. But, I've already paid out for a bunch of parts, so I'm going to make this bish work!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I got some E30 parking brake cables and I'm going to try and find a set of bolts to fit the 323 sub axles. Hopefully I can get his bish put together today. Cross your fingers.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

So I need to replace a bunch of axle bolts since half of them got stripped out trying to take them off. I've made a couple trips to different hardware stores and all I can come up with are bolt that are too long or too short.

So, I can either keep trying to find the right size, grind down the long ones (because they wont clear a bolt on the diff), run half short one (they thread 3/4 the way of the originals) or I can take off these little dealies and run all short bolts (they then thread in all the way)

Your thoughts anyone? I'm too low on coffee to make decisions.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Don't take off those plates, they act as a washer and help keep the bolt from backing out
    -Tyler-

You can see that the regular bolts poke a little. The shorter bolts actually are closer to 4/5 fully threaded. Alternating between the regular and short bolts should be fine.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    how much longer are the 'too long' bolts?
    -Tyler-

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    this.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    So I need to replace a bunch of axle bolts since half of them got stripped out trying to take them off. I've made a couple trips to different hardware stores and all I can come up with are bolt that are too long or too short.

Your thoughts anyone? I'm too low on coffee to make decisions.
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    this.
    The stock bolt (in the middle) is 55mm, the long one is 60mm, the short is 50mm.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.03.26 at 11:21 AM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

i went with every-other as a shorter one. i just need Loctite and a prayer.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    When I worked at a place on an assembly line we took a week long class on fasteners.
    So, I would try to find something as similar to the original because the shoulder on the bolt is there for a reason.

There is a place I go to called Tacoma Screw and they should be able to help you out and there's one in Vancouver (according to their website).

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Hmm, the every-other approach doesnt sit well with me. How many bolts do you need? 55mm from the shank without the head to the tip or the entire length?

(⌐■_■)
    well, since we didn't actually put anything on it today (beer drinking took priority), I know that I can source the correct bolts locally
    -Tyler-

Where dem bolt?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    When I worked at a place on an assembly line we took a week long class on fasteners.
    So, I would try to find something as similar to the original because the shoulder on the bolt is there for a reason.

There is a place I go to called Tacoma Screw and they should be able to help you out and there's one in Vancouver (according to their website).
    I'll have to take a trip out there on Monday

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Hmm, the every-other approach doesnt sit well with me. How many bolts do you need? 55mm from the shank without the head to the tip or the entire length?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    There's a Tacoma Screw up on Columbia Blvd. But I would also call up Vancouver Bolt, they put Tacoma Screw to shame
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    I'll have to take a trip out there on Monday

Well that certainly answers the question, lol! I probably have some if Tyler cant get them for you.

(⌐■_■)
    and actually.... /me wanders out to parts bin in garage...
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    blast, nope, the ones I have are 65mm
    -Tyler-

I will check tomorrow when I get to the shop..

Awesome, since I just found out I wont have any free time to go to Tacoma Screw until Wednesday.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread