Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Now you got me surfing for BMW's!
    Do it!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Do it!
    They don't call it the Ultimate Driver Machine for nothing!

hahhahaha its teh sickness!

It truly is. It probably is the same on any old car that you want to see restored to it's original glory. My sickness is going to have my up early tomorrow so I can phone in an order to Germany for those Alpina turn signals.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Today's progress: I cleaned the engine bay a bit, the trunk and replaced the taillights. Now that I have taillight remnants, I can do a little modding. More to come on that later. Now I'm off to bed so I can get up early and head over to Mr. Roten's Super Shop. We'll (errr um, he'll) be adjusting my valves. I'll shoot a little video while I'm there.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Went over to Mike's house (ducatipaso) and cleaned up the engine bay, trunk and we adjusted the valves. BIG difference in the appearance and performance! Here's some updated pics and a video of the motor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twelvizm/5403439814/
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Thanks for all the help today!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Junior Member Brani is on a distinguished road
    I don't know if you have this link but i found it helpful when looking for parts http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/. I have 1982 320i (same year i was born). Bought it 2 weeks ago. Still learning. You seems like you know a lot about cars. Good luck with your restoration.

That link is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing that. I'll def be using that. I just picked up this car less than a month ago, so I'm learning as well. I do know my way around an engine bay and love how easy everything is to work on. And I have a great network of people that know way more than me.

Today's work included installing a new Nakamichi deck (graciously provided by Ducatipaso)

Next up is the replacement of the ignition coil. Instead of replacing it with the stock black coil, I'm going with the slightly hotter sparking Bosch red coil. It requires changing the spark plug end.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bimmerforum E21 FAQ/DIY For the '77-79 models, you will want to convert to electronic ignition first. The points won't like the hotter spark of the red coil. The '77-79 cap is socket style which allows for more wire options, like American V8's. The rotor has a smaller nose so it has less spark scatter at high rpms. The Bosch red coil allows you to run a higher gap, up to .050". To run the red coil, you have to either swap to the 77-79 cap, rotor, and plug wires to have compatible fittings, or you have to swap one end on the coil wire to the socket style fitting rather than the post style used in the 80-83 wires. Also, to run the AR 52 plugs, you have to use the older style plug wires due to the non-removable cap on the plug tip
    I'll post up some pictures a little later.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.01.31 at 17:44 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Wow that's a weird location for a stereo! Almost as weird as a Chevy Citation my buddy had back in the day.

Would a Pertronix system work in this application?

here is a link that explains how to fix that hazard switch so you can use that toot pick tonight after diner. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1159184

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Hey Brani how were your earthquakes the other day?

Thanks for the links to repairs because I am also learning a bunch about BMW's from this thread!

Wow that's a weird location for a stereo! Almost as weird as a Chevy Citation my buddy had back in the day.

Would a Pertronix system work in this application?
    It would, but is really only needed if if it were an earlier version that still had points. Then it's recommended if you go with a red coil. Or so I'm told. I'm still learning so I just regurgitating facts at this point.

Quote: Originally Posted by Brani View Post
    here is a link that explains how to fix that hazard switch so you can use that toot pick tonight after diner. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1159184
    I saw that, ive just been lazy. You know, cause there's all this easier stuff to do.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

There were two project direction decisions made today. The first is the budget. It's set at $3500 total, to include the $850 I paid for the car. And the second is the choice in motor. I'm going to keep the M10 in there and swap the transmission to a 5 speed. The guy that I bought the car from has a complete 5 speed transmission, driveline, pedal assembly and center console. As well as all the other little bits I would need.

In other news: Here's a quick photoshop of projected waffle/stance:

I'm going to go with color matched wheels and high polished lips.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    There were two project direction decisions made today. The first is the budget. It's set at $3500 total, to include the $850 I paid for the car. And the second is the choice in motor. I'm going to keep the M10 in there and swap the transmission to a 5 speed. The guy that I bought the car from has a complete 5 speed transmission, driveline, pedal assembly and center console. As well as all the other little bits I would need.

In other news: Here's a quick photoshop of projected waffle/stance:

I'm going to go with color matched wheels and high polished lips.
    Looks good! Needs some tint and a turbo

No tint for me. Plus, then the B pillar would really look awkward. And I want to be able to shoot people dirty looks so they know that I'm a thug! The E21 lines are more classic to me. If it were an E30, I would want to make it look more modern. On this, it's just the opposite. I want the chrome at a high polish. I'm even going to take off the power mirror and go with the older door-mounted chrome flag mirrors. As well as chrome the door handles, vs. painting them black. You know, make it more old man stylee.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I just had to put these two photos next to each other:

Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.01.31 at 19:50 PM. Reason: Smaller pictures show the difference better
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Hey Brani how were your earthquakes the other day?

Thanks for the links to repairs because I am also learning a bunch about BMW's from this thread!
    You know i slept thru all of them. Not strong enough to wake me up! So do you have E21 too?

@Twelvizm
    Are you going to relocate your battery and put a nice CAI? I'm still looking for the nice affordable solution.

I just had to put these two photos next to each other:

What did you use to clean up engine? Mine has so much oil that it is not even funny. I need serious cleaning.

Are you going to relocate your battery and put a nice CAI? I'm still looking for the nice affordable solution.
    I don't think I am. This car is pretty tail happy already. As far as an intake goes, I'm probably going to just slap on a cone filter and delete the box. I'm now worried about going "cai" because the location of intake is already in a cooler portion of the engine bay. It's forward of the block, on the opposite side of the exhaust mani.

What did you use to clean up engine? Mine has so much oil that it is not even funny. I need serious cleaning.
    I forgot what it was called. Maybe Ducatipaso will chime in with the answer.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I finally got the new coil in after all. The first one WorldPac sent turned out to be defective. As promised, here's the photos that show the difference between the stock coil and the lower ohm red coil.

Better performing and better looking. The mounting bracket also needed to be modified to fit. It had a flange on both sides wereas the stock one only has a flange on one side. It has to be cut off to clear the shock tower.

The stock black Bosch coil is a post style:

The red Bosch is a socket style:

From my reading, the socket style gives me a larger choice in aftermarket plug wires.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.02.01 at 14:46 PM. Reason: iPhone spelling errors corrected
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Thanks for all the help today!
    any time bro. where's my pictures!!!1111

oh snap you dropped the nak in! where's my punkt!

+ Reply to Thread