Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 29 ... LastLast

Thread: 1981 BMW E21 320i in Alpinweiss, my plans to go from rough to tough

Random photo of the day. I think she's starting to visually come together.

The exterior mod list:
    • Euro Bumpers
    • Chrome Antenna
    • Polished Door Handles (currently half done)
    • 15" BBS RS's with polished lips and color matched centers
    • Tires
    • -2" height
    • Full Respray
    • Window Chrome Trim

I'm going to use the initial post as a check list of what's been done and what's left to do.
    Last edited by Twelvizm; 2011.02.05 at 12:27 PM.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Looks like I'll be picking up a new engine today. First off to Twardnw's place to pick up an engine stand. Then, meet with 's to help him take the top off his truck then go to The Werkstatt to get an engine hoist. Then to pick up the goods and drop them off at my house. Whew! A lot of heavy lifting today.

Here's a bit on the motor I'm picking up:

Quote: Originally Posted by Wikipedia This motor was only used in 3-series models. The 323i began as an E21 model in 1977 and was phased out as the E30 models came into production. It initially used the same head and block as the carbureted 2.0 liter but used a longer 76.8*mm (3.0 in) stroke crank. It also featured Bosch K-Jetronic Injection. So equipped the E21 323i produced 143*hp (107 kW). The E30 version featured the revised "731" head with larger intake ports and used L-Jetronic instead of K-Jet. Early E30 323s made 139*hp (104 kW) but later versions got updated cams and power rose to 150*hp (110 kW). The early E30 323I, had more torque and was quicker. The 2.3 liter motor was superseded by the more powerful 2.5 in 1985.
    Much better than the 80-100hp 4cyl M10 I have now. For this light of a car, it'll be a huge gain.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    and what happened to you?
    -Tyler-

My Driver's side CV was blown to shit. It's inop. So Kim and I had to adjust schedules to accommodate sharing the car. I had to cancel going to the Couve.

Good news though:

Time for the real fun to begin! Well, once I make it to Tyler's and pick up the stand.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I also got some period-appropriate wheels to roll on until I get some RS's:

Yeah boy! It's 1990 all over again!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Thanks Tyler for your addition to my messy garage!

I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

now comes the fun part

Yeah, cleaning up the garage and getting the engine onto the stand. I'm going to have to get the cherry picker from the shop.

I can't wait to start cleaning this thing up and rebuilding it. I'm going to price out what it'll cost to turbo it with management. And, see if there's anyway to make it a more fuel-efficient engine. I'd like to stay above 20mpg.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    Yay is that a 5 speed I spy, did you get the pedals?

Unfortunately, it's a 4spd.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

So, my curb-bashing battle is looking to be a real PITA. The CV joint is effed. So far, IMC or WorldPac don't carry parts and Kuni just told me that the axles have been killed off and if one could be located it would be about $300+

The guy I bought the motor and tranny from has a full rear end with disk brakes, a modded subframe that allows camber adjustments, diff, axles, everything for less than that. So, it looks like I'm going to swap out the whole rear end.

That should make for a busy day.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    So, my curb-bashing battle is looking to be a real PITA. The CV joint is effed. So far, IMC or WorldPac don't carry parts and Kuni just told me that the axles have been killed off and if one could be located it would be about $300+

The guy I bought the motor and tranny from has a full rear end with disk brakes, a modded subframe that allows camber adjustments, diff, axles, everything for less than that. So, it looks like I'm going to swap out the whole rear end.

That should make for a busy day.
    Dang that sucks! Too bad E30 half shalfs dont work i got 2 extra remanned ones! 4 speed manual is better than 4 speed auto! LOL plus G260s are super common

The auto in it right now is a 3 spd! So 4 spd manual is way better than a 3 spd auto. If I can't stand the 4 spd, I'll hunt down a 5.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

The auto in it right now is a 3 spd! So 4 spd manual is way better than a 3 spd auto. If I can't stand the 4 spd, I'll hunt down a 5.
    Oh well 4 speed is probably ok until you decide to get on the highway! LOL

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    The CV joint is effed.
    Pelican Parts looks like they have something.

www.rockauto.com is where i got my remanned axles, they work great and fit great

A-1 CARDONE Part # 609066 Reman.
    Rear Right
    Rear Left
    Price Core Total
    $68.79 $75.00 $143.79

Nice. Well I just picked up a subframe, a-arms, disk brakes, rotors, pads, axles, diff, a 3 spoke S steering wheel and a stick shift center console for $260. Only one of the axles are good but I only needed one.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    You're going to run out of room soon in that garage!
    Good thing ducatipaso bought a truck that you can borrow for future dump runs.

This is the first time I've squirreled away parts like this. I almost have a whole spare driveline and suspension system.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

I have a garage full of parts for my Audi 4k and I even have a parts car!
    The worst part is that with every car I always get sucked into collecting all of the rare and so called uber rare parts!

I want my garage back!

For the unidoctrintated. The "is" steering wheel looks like this:

Compared to this ugly thing:
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    I always get sucked into collecting all of the rare and so called uber rare parts!
    That's the sickness! I've been all over it with this BMW. The brand jump has been so fun, learning all this new stuff and new "rare" vocabulary.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Today I have a date with Simple Green, a wire brush and some engine enamel. I'm going to clean up the new (to me) rear end bits before putting them on. Pics to come later.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

heh ur mom's rear end bits need cleaning

You guys are making me envious of all of the car tinkering you're doing lately!

+ Reply to Thread