monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CIS-E help.

placeholder doppelfaust will become famous soon enough doppelfaust's Avatar
    Realized why the mA wasn't reading correctly... the fuse was dead in my DMM. Will replace the fuse and report back tomorrow.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar

Well, DPR was sitting at about 7.5mA...

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    set it to 10mA. Make sure its warmed up and it should be fluctuating. We need to start with base settings and make sure they are correct before chasing a problem

Set to 10mA... was a VERY rough start to get it going on my lunch break. Cranks and cranks, fires and then dies... Repeated several times, checked for vacuum leaks and checked electrical connections. After several more attempts I got the car started. Let it warm up and let the fan cycle and set the DPR amperage.

hard start before or after the setting of the mA?

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    hard start before or after the setting of the mA?
    Before, needed to get it warm to set the DPR. True test will be tonight after work. Will report back following that.

Started like a champ... ran strong all the way home. Idle was high, lowered it when I got home.

Win!

Started rough this morning but ran fine all the way to work.

I'm at a loss, this morning... absolutely would not start. Tried a couple small things but ended up having to carpool with Selena.

Cranked and would sputter but could never get it to idle. Pulled the DPR and definitely have fuel there (got sprayed in the face). For S&Gs I tried a different DPR, didn't seem to change anything. Pulled the head off the filter box and actuated the arm, seemed to be moving smoothly. After putting it back on the filter box and turning the car over to start it the car was close to running. Honestly don't know where to start, DPR amperage was set previously, no vacuum leaks that I know of, car definitely has gas.

Did we talk about the CTS yet?

Did we talk about the CTS yet?
    Don't think so, will test resistance on it tonight... It was "fairly" new. Its not a Bosch one though, and I've heard of the generic ones failing prematurely.

Hmm yeah, check that and report back.

Looks like I can get a Genuine Bosch one without too much hassle...

What figure should I be seeing when the car is cold?

Alldata says:

1. With the ignition "OFF", remove the electrical connector at the coolant temperature sensor.
    2. With a suitable volt/ohm meter, measure the resistance between the two terminals of the coolant temperature sensor. The correct resistance should be:

o At 68F (20C), approx. 2500 ohms
    o Above 68F (20C), less than 2500 ohms.
    o Below 68F (20C), greater than 2500 ohms.

If the correct measurement is not obtained replace the coolant temperature sensor.

However, that is a pretty shitty test if you ask me. LMK see if I can get a better test..

Thanks Chris! I wish I was more affluent so I could just have you fix my turd. Alas, I get to pick your brain and tinker instead.

CTS tested fine... put old DPR back on so I'm not troubleshooting multiple parts at once.

Checked the fuel line you indicated may have a filter in it, it had been removed. Pulled my plugs and they were pretty ugly, seemed like I had excess fuel in cylinder 3, spark plug was wet. Replaced the spark plugs but still nothing. Definitely have fuel at the DPR and fuel at the line that might have had a filter/screen in it. Got it to crank and almost run but didn't idle.

How much do you charge to change out engine management to Megasquirt? I'm really getting frustrated with CIS-E, despite the fact its treated me OK for awhile. Have no idea how I am getting to work tomorrow...

Riddle me this...

Removed the air filter so I could more easily actuate the air sensor plate... Moved the plate a couple cycles (up and down). Attempted to restart, reved and died. Tried again (kept the gas pedal to the floor), car starts and revs towards redline. Release the gas pedal slightly to keep it from redlining and then the slowly lower it to idle and it runs with no issue. Allow the car to idle for a bit, turn it off to reinstall the air filter and the car restarts with no issue. I'm so bleeping confused. Problem is obviously temperamental but I haven't the foggiest on what the heck it could be.

Crossing my fingers that my car starts in the morning...

And it died again.

Tried to restart if before we left for dinner lastnight and the same thing... Sounded like it was trying to start but just wouldn't idle and stay running. Going to check timing tonight but problem seems to temperamental to be timing.

First off, I dont think you would be happy putting MS on it for a DD.
    If you want to switch to a simple FI system, use digi 2
    Now, on to your current problem. Try jumpering the fuel pump relay, pull the injectors out, lift air flow plate and see if fuel sprays out.

First off, I dont think you would be happy putting MS on it for a DD.
    If you want to switch to a simple FI system, use digi 2
    Now, on to your current problem. Try jumpering the fuel pump relay, pull the injectors out, lift air flow plate and see if fuel sprays out.
    The eventual plan is 2.0L bottom end and turbo. Digi 2 would be a pain since the Fox does not use a conventional fuse box... unless I pulled a complete Digi system out of another Fox but I am not interested in that.

Will check timing and jumper fuel pump relay and pull injectors.

The Fox is running and starting like a champ. First key flick and she starts up...

This is my theory. So I went to start her last Monday and she wouldn't start. Got home Monday evening, same issue, changed plugs (they looked bad) but couldn't get her going. Finally killed the battery trying to get the car to start. Thursday night I stick the battery on the charger but don't have time or good enough weather to work on her anymore during the week. I went out Saturday to start troubleshooting but for schits and giggles I just try to start her without changing anything, first key flick and she starts. My guess is this, plugs were bad to begin with. I flooded the car trying to get it to start with no spark. I change the plugs but the cylinders are still flooded. Once I kill the battery and let it sit to charge the fuel dissipates and the battery is fresh so she starts right up.

+ Reply to Thread