Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: ducatipaso's (now twardnw's) parts hauler

ducatipaso's (now twardnw's) parts hauler

I couldn't resist. My diamond in the rough.
    a 1979 Toyota Hilux SR5 Long Bed

This is the day I cut the deal. The pic is taken from my office window I've watched this truck drive to and from OC Golf Club every day since I moved here. The fellow I bought it from bought it when it was 10 years old. It was equipped exactly as it is today [canopy, radio, etc] and is 100% original and stock with 200k on the odo.

the fellow that owned the truck is a longtime cigar smoker. the interior of the truck is covered top to bottom with cigar ash and tar

Let's see some of the post-clean up photos.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

inside the canopy it's got a carpeted liner that's been in there since new. bonus with the truck were 4 OE wheels, 2 with studs, and the original tailgate which has been stored in his attic since be bought the truck.

the engine bay was oil soaked from a valve cover gasket that's been unmaintained for years. an afternoon of work, 3 cans of engine brite and a power washer cleaned things up so I can see whats going on. The engine bay is absolutely unmolested.

I've begun cleaning the interior using a mix of various meguiars products as well as sprayway, acetone and WD40. the door cards came out like new with a little work.

I'll take more cleanup pics tonight I did some work at lunch today.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Wow a Toyota CB radio! My neighbor had a truck exactly like that minus the canopy. Then his son got his license and trashed it. Sad! The one thing the kid did that was ok is that he put on Celica wheels.

Lower it!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Normal Member Kaie is on a distinguished road Kaie's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Lower it!
    hahah

It needs bigger canopy.
    Where the **** is my ignition spray? - Ricky

Normal Member en318ispdx is on a distinguished road en318ispdx's Avatar
    Yea man get some hydraulics and put that on bags and you will be the most popular guy in hillsboro

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    My dad had one of those. he made his own canopy for it and covered the sides with cedar shingles. he also didnt bend down the nails when he put the shingles on. It was kinda scary to be in the back of it. we called it Mr. Housetruck.

wow.. cleaning up nicely
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

god bless single stage enamel

this should give you an idea of how thick the tar was on some spots. this is the trim above the drivers head and I have cleaned it. the brownish you still see is what the whole thing looked like.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Hey if you need anything for it there are always a bunch of them up here in the Pull A Part yards.

I took the carpeted liner out of the bed at lunch. I could not have asked for better. All I did was sweep it out.

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Hey if you need anything for it there are always a bunch of them up here in the Pull A Part yards.
    Parts are so cheap I don't think I'd bother yarding for stuff lol.

before and after. there was a moss terrarium in there!

and here's a pulled back shot of what I did with the paint last night. I'm really pleased.

and today I put on the tailgate. I need to get new travel limiting cables.

My taillights were the same on the E21
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

A guy in high school had one of these and it was a huge mini truck!

haha i remember those conversions. crazy!

Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    god bless single stage enamel

No kidding huh? When I took the buffer to my single stage, oxidized paint, a miracle happened. It's actually better that the PO did nothing to the car. That means that the paint hadn't been cut and buffed before, leaving you with a thick layer of paint to work with.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

exactly right. i three staged it with machine compound, a mild polishing then cleaner wax lol. it came out really nice and I don't think it's been polished for the life of the vehicle. i did more tonight if it's going to rain tomorrow I'll bring it to finns. I have a buyer on the hook for the canopy.

+ Reply to Thread