Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: ducatipaso's (now twardnw's) parts hauler

Normal Member VWsEatRice is on a distinguished road VWsEatRice's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    ugh.. that sucks. My old Tercel was hit like that.. on the left-rear bumper.. when I parked it in downtown Tacoma during one evening while at work. It scrunched up the rear quarter panel and the area below the hatch. It was hit good enough that the person had to have been going a decent speed... I don't understand how someone can just drive off when that happens.
    I seen a ford ranger rear end a jeep stopped at a light ,pushed it through the intersection(pearl street@ am/pm), then attempt to drive off into a apartment complex w/a destroyed front end w/no lights leaking all kinds of fluids.I think the fenders were pushed into the tires too.

Quote: Originally Posted by VWsEatRice View Post
    I seen a ford ranger rear end a jeep stopped at a light ,pushed it through the intersection(pearl street@ am/pm), then attempt to drive off into a apartment complex w/a destroyed front end w/no lights leaking all kinds of fluids.I think the fenders were pushed into the tires too.
    I've seen an accident happen during the rush hour period at the intersection of S. 56th & Tyler St. So, both cars hit each other in the middle of the intersection with people waiting at the lights all around. The two cars just drove off in their own directions, both quite badly damaged, and no one did anything about it. I was shocked...

I actually chased the car that hit the other car for a bit.. which had a family in it (hispanic... go figure).. called the cops. They showed up pretty quickly in the intersection, but obviously saw nothing by this time and just drove off.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    S. 56th & Tyler St.
    there was more to this?

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    there was more to this?
    uhmm....
    having grown up in south Tacoma I can say there are much worse intersections than that one
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Guess we never mentioned that I have this truck now. And it's still a work-beast. Took 1350# across the scale at the dump about a month ago, even drove it for 10 months as a commuter last year while the Volvo was down. This weekend I finally attempted to tackle the whistling carb, but the Redline adapter for the carb had such shitty threads, that I stripped one out while trying to snug down the carb (no wonder it was leaking).
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Looks like the head gasket gave out yesterday. Was heading up to pick up a load of gravel, could suddenly smell coolant, looked in my mirror and a big cloud of steam was following me

Gonna go the uber-cheap route though, and just replace the gaskets. The thing is super worn out, but I don't have fundage to do a full rebuild.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    But, after a bit of google-fu, it may also be some pinholes around the exhaust ports in the head. Sounds like a common problem with them wearing through there. No way to know but to pull the head. Well, regardless, I'll be doing that real soon.
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I don't know anything about Toyotas but how difficult would it be to just swap a 22R in there? It's a 20R now right?

You might be able to purchase a used motor for the cost of rebuilding the head. As expensive as that sounds

(⌐■_■)
    yeah, if it's the head, a 22 goes right in. I'm holding out and hoping it's just the HG though.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Found a source for a running 22R to swap in now I just need time...
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)

Finally into the garage, and I've started pulling pieces off the head.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Head pulled this evening

No real signs of gasket failure, but it also came out in shreds it'd been on there so long. Not sure if I should just replace the head, or clean things up, slap on a new gasket, and just see how much more life it has
    -Tyler-

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    I'd have the head skimmed if you're putting it back together. If it's not flat, the gasket will just blow again.
    “Religion is a defense against the experience of God.”
    — C.G. Jung

(⌐■_■)
    I'm thinking the head is even too warped to have machined. I borrowed a precision straight-edge to check it, and could see a very noticeable gap
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Think I'll finally drop the block and head off at the machine shop tomorrow
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Have the block back in my position, bored .020 over, but I think they forgot to check the surface. Ordered a precision straight-edge, I'll check it myself, may have to take it to a different machine shop to fix that one...

Cleaned up the transmission this afternoon

-Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Yeah, the original shop didn't even both to check the block surface, my check showed it was not true, and got it back from a *different* machine shop today, he said it was between .0020 and .0025 out, max spec is .0020.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Shiny newness

bay all nice and clean

(10:45 last evening)

still sitting on the jack, but the trans mount is connected!

fully in, and starting to get all the ancillaries connected
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Amazing just how clean that little truck is. Now it has an engine to match.

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Is that a homemade engine hoist?

-Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

(⌐■_■)
    yes it is
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    The truck lives! But the freeze plugs are all leaking
    -Tyler-

That sucks.

(⌐■_■)
    yep, looks like this afternoon's task will be pulling the manifolds and seeing if there's enough room to replace them all without pulling the engine.
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread