Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: ducatipaso's (now twardnw's) parts hauler

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    it appears I may have driven them in too deep. Almost everything I can find says to leave them slightly proud of the milled surface, I drove these in slightly below. I've got another 5 to try with...
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I am ****ing livid right now, the only business I will be doing with the first machine shop I took this thing to is asking for money back
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    pulled the head (new record, just over 30 minutes) and took it to the other shop I've been using, they put it on the pressure test bed, and sure enough giant ****ing hole in number 4's exhaust port

The first shop lied to my face and told me it pressure tested well, so pissed now.
    -Tyler-

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    For ****s sake. You have every reason to be livid. Makes my issues seem minor, as I was only out time. They ate the additional machine/setup time.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

(⌐■_■)
    At this point, I'm out a head gasket, exhaust & intake manifold gaskets, oil & coolant, and the cost of the work on the head. I'll be going back to them for *all* of these costs. If the worst scenario happens, and I can't find a good 20R head to put on, then I'm also out the cost of damn near everything else. Pistons, block work, all the other gaskets... I have a line on a complete 20R to go look at tomorrow, I really hope the head is in good enough shape to run.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    found a company in TX that has a 20R head, fully rebuilt. Should be here next week, now I just have to go about getting money back from that shop.
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    just went and asked the first machine shop what they're going to do to correct this, and I'm still not very happy. They'll refund me the cost of the work, and provide me with the gaskets I need, but that's it
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Oh, turns out 'cost of the work' was for the cost of *all* the work they did, not just on the head. And the reman'd head arrived today. Gonna see if I can get the freeze/welch plugs replaced this evening and get this thing running again!
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    new welch plugs are in, now off to the parts store to get a few more things
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    got it pretty much back together last night, but then discovered that the plugs/seals on the front and back of the head/valve-cover (for the cam line-bore) are much smaller on this head than the gaskets I have... Oh boy, this is gonna be fun to track down.
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    Oh, turns out 'cost of the work' was for the cost of *all* the work they did, not just on the head. And the reman'd head arrived today. Gonna see if I can get the freeze/welch plugs replaced this evening and get this thing running again!
    Well, that's good news though.

(⌐■_■)
    -Tyler-

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Excellent

(⌐■_■)
    Took it on it's first out-of-the-neighborhood journey last evening, driving great (especially nice since I replaced the front shocks yesterday too), finally got all of the coolant out of the exhaust as well
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    So, as updated in the 'what did you do no your car today', I've got a leaking seal. Now that I have the transmission separated, it actually doesn't appear to be the rear main, but the transmission input seal. Was able to track down a new one locally, will be doing the replacement this afternoon (hopefully)
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    damn Toyota transmissions are heavy
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    not as light as an 8v 5 speed, eh?
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    one spec I saw had it weighing in at 45kg (~100#)

Got the trans out with Colin's help, replaced the seal, did a little cleanup, trans back in and just need to bolt a few last things up.
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    That does sound like a heavy tranny.

Are you now leak free?
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

(⌐■_■)
    I think so? Kinda hard to tell on the test drive with as much rain as we got today, can't see drips on the ground
    -Tyler-

+ Reply to Thread