Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 42 72 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to your vehicle today?

Junior Member Esse2420 is on a distinguished road Esse2420's Avatar
    Did my first oil change on my 20th. put in some Casterol Syntec** 5w 40, and a Mann filter. lemme tell you the car LOVES me for it. whoever had it b4 had some piecer fram filter and god knows what kind of oil in it. also took my glove box door off cause it didnt close.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Discovered the A4 has two bent wheels, 3 delaminating tires, and a nasty stone in one of the front brakes causing me to upgrade the pads and rotors. Damn pesky rocks making me upgrade the car! the shit part is that the wife is supposed to take it to Yosemite on Thursday.. Time crunch.

got the tdi chipped. POWER!!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by Esse2420 View Post
    also took my glove box door off cause it didnt close.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Discovered the A4 has two bent wheels, 3 delaminating tires......... the shit part is that the wife is supposed to take it to Yosemite on Thursday.. Time crunch.
    I have a set of Audi wheels/tires i'd let you borrow as long as she doesn't crub them.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    got the tdi chipped. POWER!!
    Too bad its not TDtuning

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    I have a set of Audi wheels/tires i'd let you borrow as long as she doesn't crub them.

Meh, these are the winter wheels. I wish I would have checked them when we got the car, they were probably bent from the get go. Wanna sell those wheels though? I need some for the shop vanagon..

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    They're not for sale yet..... I bought them to go on my Vanagon........hehe

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Too bad its not TDtuning

upgraded the front brakes today.. installed Zimmerman rotors and StopTech Street Performance pads. I had meant to do the rears as well... upgrading to GTI spec rears with the same discs & pads, but ran out of sunlight. I'll have to wait at least until next week now.

yes.. I have to drive my car up onto those ramp pieces in order to fit the floor jack under the car

(discs are the same size.. new just looks bigger since they're coated a light color)

also replaced my sidemarkers.. since the old ones looked like this after a year of use:

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Being the crazy person that I am I washed my car and detailed the trim tonight. Yes I know the weather is going suck again starting tomorrow. But it's first chance in months I have had to do it and probaly my last chance for awhile. So it will look pretty for a few hours. Tomorrow I am going to clean the interior, rotate the tires and scrub the rims some more. Really not happy with all the brake dust mintex red box pads are making!

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    Being the crazy person that I am I washed my car and detailed the trim tonight. Yes I know the weather is going suck again starting tomorrow. But it's first chance in months I have had to do it and probaly my last chance for awhile. So it will look pretty for a few hours.
    my philosophy is that you should clean it when you get the chance to. If you don't then it'll just get even dirtier. If you clean it, it'll be cleaner the next time you go to wash it again.. and that's not a bad thing

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    Really not happy with all the brake dust mintex red box pads are making!
    having used mintex red boxes on my mk2 jetta twice through.. compared with cheap oem-style stock pads and with PBR metalmasters.. I can definitely say that I won't be recommending the red boxes to anyone.

They wear down quickly... dust a lot (which isn't necessarily avoidable. Pads that "don't dust" either have dust that isn't obvious unless you look carefully, or it just means that you're using a crappy performance pad that doesn't wear down quickly enough (like hard tires.. they last forever, but perform horribly))... fade quickly even with fairly normal street use... and barely stop faster than regular cheap oem-style pads.

The metalmasters were awesome... took a ton more to get them to fade (never actually got them to fade on the street/highway), dusted a bit less, and lasted at least as long.

So.... go with something better

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    So.... go with something better
    I plan too after the winter. I just put these on maybe 4 months ago. I have always heard good things about mintex pads so I thought I would give them a shot. Other than the dust I have been happy with thier performance. I have used PBR metal master pads before on my corrado and was happy with them. Should have chose them instead of the mintex they where both options in the kit I ordered from GAP.

Cleaned the interior, rotated the tires and set the pressure. Also installed my new fog light bulbs that came today and put new wiper blades on. But also discovered I have a strut bearing going bad

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    pulled upper IC pipe, airbox, turbo inlet hoses, heat shield, upper engine mount, and some other misc things, trying to track down my oil leak
    -Tyler-

Valve cover?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    nope, it's nice and dry. The other common area is the turbo oil drain, and it is clean and dry. Got a look at the oil and coolant inlets today, they are also very clean and dry
    -Tyler-

Regular Member ENRGZR will become famous soon enough
    Drove my Rabbit for the first time since March. Finally got the new turbo installed.

worked on the clean/touchup on the frame on the cafe. time to start grinding brackets.

today sucked.

went to tacoma to replace/upgrade my rear brakes yesterday and realized I didn't have enough daylight to work, so I decided to go back down today. I got to Tacoma today with plenty of daylight (a few hours).. got all the parts and tools together that I needed and tore into things. I got the caliper bolts off in a few minutes, happy that I had the right tools (a lot of people complain online about not having a slim enough wrench). I pulled my new M14 triple-square bit out for the carrier bolts and realized how tight a fit it is to get a wrench in there. It's really tough to get enough get any real strength into loosening these bolts. They're supposedly torqued at 66 ft-lbs (wouldn't be surprised if they were torqued more though). I spent 2 hours trying to get one bolt loose. I failed.. and there's four of those bolts total (two for each carrier).

By this time it was about 45 minutes until sunset and I hadn't even gotten the carriers off. I know that I could do the whole thing in about an hour (or less) if everything just came off... but these obviously aren't going to come off easily.

So I gave up... bolted the calipers back on, put the wheels back on, and drove home.

Now I have no idea how I'm going to get these carrier bolts loose, especially with the small amount of clearance for a wrench to get in to loosen the bolts.

someone else's photo of the devil-bolts from golfmkv.. where his instructions are a benign "Remove the two bolts holding on the carrier using an M14 twelve point bit."

I have now driven to Tacoma three times with the intention of doing my rear brakes... and have failed every time. This is getting old...

Last edited by joel; 2010.11.04 at 00:09 AM.

those rear bolts are indeed a bitch. worst part of the job.

I may have to pay someone to use their shop and some tools just to get them broken loose... complete PITA

hit the ratchet with a mallet. If you aren't afraid of breaking the ratchet. IIRC, that's what I ended up doing to break them loose.

Quote: Originally Posted by ENRGZR View Post
    hit the ratchet with a mallet. If you aren't afraid of breaking the ratchet. IIRC, that's what I ended up doing to break them loose.
    tried it... a lot
    barely had enough room to even swing the mallet.. let alone get enough force to break anything free.

<problem> Air and Impact wrench </problem>

Or two box wrenches locked into one another to gain the mechanical advantage.
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

+ Reply to Thread