monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone with a mk5 rabbit or gti want to help me out?

anyone with a mk5 rabbit or gti want to help me out?

I have a bit of an issue I'm trying to figure out. I've been comparing part numbers for the US mk5 jetta/sportwagen and the US mk5 rabbit/gti for the door handle assemblies.

As I knew, the golf/gti body gets different door handles than the jetta cars do. The odd thing to me though, is that while the golf/gti has the same handle supports for the front & back doors, the jetta appears not too.

It's supposed to be a really quick & easy thing to swap a door handle out on the mk5's, so I'm hoping someone around the Seattle area with a mk5 rabbit or gti wouldn't mind me swapping a rear handle between the cars to see if it works without having to change out the rear support from inside the door.

note.. I'd need a four door mk5.. a 2 door wouldn't really help me as much

Last edited by joel; 2011.02.08 at 22:50 PM.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Or you could call any VW dealer and get the part numbers for the two parts...

If they're the same, then you have your answer.

I already have the part numbers. I spent a lot of time comparing the part numbers in ETKA myself. That's how I know that the handle support is different on the rear doors compared to the front doors on the jetta. The question is whether the exterior handles from a golf or gti can swap directly to a jetta without having to replace anything else.

Unfortunately a dealer won't be able to tell me anything.. I'm looking to install non-standard parts on my car.
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    So the US mk5 rabbit/gti has to have 4 doors for this test right? Because you're doing the rear handles?

Just wanted to clarify that..... dunno if it matters though?

yeah... kind of need a four door

+ Reply to Thread