Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Shop/Garage/Man Cave Thread

also, that was spam
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    The wheel tree got delivered, so my daughter and I set it up in the garage. Works decent with 18 inch wheels, but would probably be awesome for 13s for the Rabbit

"When I believe in something, I fight like hell for it." - Steve McQueen

'78 Rabbit, '06 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins, '14 Touareg TDI(wife's), '14 GTI

can you add wheels to the base?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

everyone probably knows me by now bingthejew is on a distinguished road bingthejew's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    can you add wheels to the base?
    You could. Or you could order the one with wheels for an extra $10. I'm probably going to order another wheel tree for MK1 wheels

Regular Member alxdgr8 will become famous soon enough
    Wanted to add wheels to the parts cleaner and noticed that one of the large HF dollies was the perfect size. Always good to have everything mobile in the shop!

IMG_20150227_223650996 by alxdgr8, on Flickr

After 2 years of running just a shop vac on my sandblast cabinet, my shop vac died. Decided I should build a dust separator, so I built a 'thien' one out of a 5gal bucket. Haven't tried it yet, but I've only heard good things about the design. It's supposed to work like a cyclonic dust separator.

IMG_20150305_222536492 by alxdgr8, on Flickr

IMG_20150305_222540472 by alxdgr8, on Flickr
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '03 Audi S8 (Avus/Oxblood - DD)
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I've toyed with building a dust collector, I've got a lot of drywall work in my future, would help filters last longer
    -Tyler-

Wanted better tunes than the little bluetooth speaker I've been using so I set up my garage receiver/speakers. Wanted the speaker out of the way and found they fit with about 1/4" gap in the stud spacing, perfect!

IMG_20150309_213731055 by alxdgr8, on Flickr

Also changed my powdercoat setup to optimize more space in the oven. Previously I either put things on a tray or hung them from posts I screwed into a tray. The oven has shelving so I could hang things from a tray in the oven, but I needed a way to hold the tray with hanging parts outside the oven. Threw some scrap wood together and got this. Works great and is much easier to coat.

IMG_20150309_213720995 by alxdgr8, on Flickr
    -Alex @vexartmedia-
    '92 Porsche 968 (VW 07k 2.5T swap in the works) --- '86 Audi Coupe GT (2.3L 20v swap) ---'83 Audi UrQuattro (2.2L 20vt swap in progress)

I wish I had some rafters... or just more ceiling height

Working on my garage a bit lately.. can't wait to have something for music in there

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    Hmm.. I need a new receiver for my garage setup. Mine is missing a channel, and turns itself up randomly.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Regular Member Helios is on a distinguished road Helios's Avatar
    I've got a 20 year old Pioneer receiver, paired w/ an equal vintage Pioneer 6 disc (cartridge) changer running through a pair of Bose 201 speakers (also 20 years old). It was originally my main stereo until I upgraded to an Onkyo receiver & Polk towers probably 8 years ago.
    -Chris S.

"If they ain't a little too wide, they ain't wide enough!"
    '76 Mk1 / '86 Rocco / '87 XR4Ti / '93.5 SLC / '94 SVT / '95 RS / '03 GC Limited

Junior Member Xenollama is on a distinguished road
    I was instructed to at least make an appearance here, so here's the one shot ill give yeh all of the disorganized mess that is my old man's shop. (that I sorta stole from him for a couple years to build a blue thingy)

I'd love more details... garagejournal style. I'm fixing up my garage soon and am always curious what people have done with their garages

Finally got around to getting a drill press, have needed one for a long time. Did a lot of research and shopping and decided to go with the Porter Cable 15" from Lowes ($319 regular price - $50 coupon). Used drill presses are apparently made of gold on craigslist and people ask the same or more than new. This model is the only one in the 15" range that actually has 4" of stroke. To get that in any other model, you have to step it up to a 17-20" drill press and spend almost twice as much. Should do the job just fine for me.

IMG_20150316_222902685 by alxdgr8, on Flickr
    -Alex @vexartmedia-

Awesome.. I remember feeling like my dad's tool connection had "made it" when he got a drill press

Regular Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by alxdgr8 View Post
    Finally got around to getting a drill press, have needed one for a long time. Did a lot of research and shopping and decided to go with the Porter Cable 15" from Lowes ($319 regular price - $50 coupon). Used drill presses are apparently made of gold on craigslist and people ask the same or more than new. This model is the only one in the 15" range that actually has 4" of stroke. To get that in any other model, you have to step it up to a 17-20" drill press and spend almost twice as much. Should do the job just fine for me.

IMG_20150316_222902685 by alxdgr8, on Flickr
    I know what you mean about the made of gold comment... I looked for about a year for an old drill press on CL before I finally found this one. Made in Canada in 1961. The castings are so nicely done and it is crazy heavy. The spindle is still very true and it drill like a champ. It was on for $100...I didn't even try and bargain the guy down. Note the house light switch mod someone did at one point...

Attachment 432

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Have you guys coated any of your garage/shop floors with epoxy? I'm thinking about doing it, but not sure which one to go with.

I've looked into it a little... followed threads on garagejournal, etc. I'm not sure I'd want to take the time to do it

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    I figured I'd do it before I move in, it'll be really easy and not TOO time consuming considering it would be empty already. I'm thinking now or never kind of thing haha, just not sure if it's worth it.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    I've never heard great long-term results from applying those type of finishes to anything but freshly poured concrete
    -Tyler-

you certainly need to prep the concrete first... clean really well, apply whatever prep is used for the sealant or epoxy, then go from there. A good application takes a very long weekend, at minimum.

(⌐■_■)
    Even with grinding, acid cleaning, etc, I've seen them have problems within 5 years or so :\
    -Tyler-

there's always something like race deck too..

Wow, really? That's not long term at all... I was thinking 10-15yrs. I don't really want to do like a race-deck, I would think it would just trap moisture and cause issues.

Regular Member V8-190e is on a distinguished road V8-190e's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    I've never heard great long-term results from applying those type of finishes to anything but freshly poured concrete
    Same

We bought some plastic garage floor tiles like the race deck brand. Does not trap water underneath and was really easy to install.
    Last edited by V8-190e; 2015.04.13 at 21:17 PM.

Guess I'll go with the race deck style mats. I was wanting to do the epoxy floor treatment, but having issues after a few years in no bueno.

On a positive note, I extended the garage light circuit and swapped single bulb lamps for outlets. Huge difference with 3 LED shop lights vs two pretty bright bulbs. Now to save for more LED shop lights

+ Reply to Thread