Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My weekend project......or longer.

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar

My weekend project......or longer.

Anyone here ever done a retrofit and have any tips or input? Picked up some Morimoto D2s projectors and a set of R32 headlights to put them in. Never done anything like this before.

I have to try and bore out the light hole by 10mm or so.

Also need to try and glue this piece of plastic back together. It was broken when I got them but I didn't know. Any idea what to use to glue it. I have some super glue but may need something stronger. If anyone by chance has a broken light laying around I'd totally buy this piece.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Sounds like a fun project!

Is there a part number on that broken piece?

everyone probably knows me by now Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub has a spectacular aura about Jazzydub's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Sounds like a fun project!

Is there a part number on that broken piece?
    150 151-00 is the number on it. I couldn't really find anything on the web.

Nice. I've been mentally planning retrofitting some HIDs on both my cars. The Passat will be easy because it already has projectors and wouldn't look odd with the blue-ish HID beams. But my old bimmer has sealed beams, making it harder to retrofit and would look silly unless they were colder colored 4500-5000k lights.

Keep us updated so I can steal some ideas
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Eli (90mk2golf) has done a couple of retrofits fwiw

good luck!
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Normal Member 90mk2golf will become famous soon enough 90mk2golf's Avatar
    im working on some right now

Well I used some 5 minute epoxy on the broken piece. Looked good. Put very little pressure on it and it broke right off. So now I'm trying some super glue and then going to put some more epoxy on it.

On the bright side I got one projector mounted and have started widening the hole on the next one.

Spend lots of time aiming them on the car before you mount the projectors, otherwise you will have them rotated wrong like my first attempt.

I clamped the reflectors to a table in my garage and taped of where the beam from the stock halogen lights were. Once I mounted the projector I clamped it in the same spot and made sure they were rotated correctly. But I think I'm going to take your advise and half put them together so I can mount them on the car just to make sure. Thanks for the tip. To rotate them I just have to loosen the locking nut on the back and rotate the projector. I plan on using some silicon on them so I wanna make sure they look right on the car. Now that my GF is back with my smaller lens I'll take some pics.

Mounted one on the car to see how it looked/where it was aimed. It was a little higher than the halogen beam but I should be able to adjust that with the adjuster.

Both on.

Just need to figure out why the passenger side won't fire when hook to the relay harness. I think I have a bad harness.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2011.03.13 at 13:23 PM.

more them likely a grounding issue.

wow.. that's going to look really nice once done
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by 90mk2golf View Post
    more them likely a grounding issue.
    The wire harnes I got with the kit from TRS is made of 18 awg wire and hardly crimped into the terminals. One wire fell out and the another which conveniently goes out to the ballast is holding on by a few strands. Horribly built. I work at a wire harness shop and nothing would ever leave our building looking like that. Seeing as the ballasts have a 7a inrush at start up I think larger wire is in order. I'm waiting to hear back from Matt over at TRS to see if they have a quality harness but I'm probably going to just build one myself using the relay and plugs from the shotty one I have.

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    wow.. that's going to look really nice once done
    Thanks Joel. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. For my first attempt they came out better than I thought.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2011.03.14 at 05:59 AM.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    18ga is good for up to 16 amps, so I think you're ok
    -Tyler-

Regular Member MiniCoopKiller is a jewel in the rough MiniCoopKiller is a jewel in the rough MiniCoopKiller's Avatar
    Yeah those look sweet! One of my favorite colors for an MKIV as well.

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    18ga is good for up to 16 amps, so I think you're ok
    All the wiring diagrams I've seen for a HID relay says to use 14 gauge. Can't go wrong with a little lager than needed. We have some 14 gauge marine wire in the shop here that'll be perfect. Water and oil resistant with some good insulation. I'm sure a new battery wouldn't hurt either. I may have the original battery in the car.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Jazzydub View Post
    I work at a wire harness shop and nothing would ever leave our building looking like that.
    I LOVE wires and wire harnesses!
    I'm weird like that!

It's odd that the TRS harness you received was so bad, I've seen a few from there and I have one on my car right now(not in use) that is great.

Quote: Originally Posted by 90mk2golf View Post
    It's odd that the TRS harness you received was so bad, I've seen a few from there and I have one on my car right now(not in use) that is great.
    Someone on HIDplanet was saying he had the same issue and Matt said they got a bad batch of harnesses so I'm waiting to hear back from him. TRS has been nothing but awesome through this whole process. Even with my harness issue I highly recommend them for any retrofit. Insanely good customer service. I still think I'm going to build my own just to throw in the larger wire. It can only help.

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    I LOVE wires and wire harnesses!
    I'm weird like that!
    You'd be in heaven.
    Last edited by Jazzydub; 2011.03.14 at 12:44 PM.

What a beautiful place! Hehe

Not to keep thread jacking but I have spent a week looking for some custom wire in Mercedes colors and it seems no one does it anymore?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    like the 2-color wires Ken?
    -Tyler-

Yup yup! But, Rabbit 16v said I could raid his wire bins at work.
    So i'll probably do that and trade him in beer when I get to that point.

What does said wire look like?

Oh and got word back from TRS that there was indeed a bad batch of harnesses and when the new ones come in later this week he'll send one out free. Don't have to send the old one back either.

to TRS for making it right!

Yeah Matt is the man! Hes always vary helpful when I've talked with him.

+ Reply to Thread