Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My daily driver/project - 1990 Golf 4dr

Normal Member Slow8vJetta will become famous soon enough

My daily driver/project - 1990 Golf 4dr

To start things off, I was given the idea of posting the work done on my Golf; by Mr.Nobody.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post

You should copy your threads from vortex and post them on here so everyone can see the work you have done to it.
    I'm going to copy and paste all of my progress posts from my threads started on this car. We had originally picked the Golf up for my wife, but now is mine (due to the fact that we picked up another mk2 to better suit her).

If you want to read the original story, go here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Wife-s-Daily

Now, I shall begin the copy/paste frenzy.

As of 6/5/2010
    Quote: Originally Posted by Slow8vJetta View Post

So after a few months of non-stop battles with our old 96' Saab 9000, we decided to call it quits. Sold the Saab and found this Golf on craigslist. Originally posted for $1,300, but I was able to talk him down to $1,100. It's a mexican-made 1990 Wolfsburg Edition Golf with 130k original miles. As you can see from the pics, it needed some tlc. So with the money left over from selling the Saab, I went a small shopping spree for parts for the car. Unfortunately it was all maintenance parts. I'd rather make it reliable first, then make it look good later.

The car came with brand new tires (and warranty w/ paperwork), new tags, new exhaust, and a clean title.

Most of this is just preventative stuff, but I'd rather do it now before it became an issue. Here is what has been done so far (within four days of purchase):

-engine flush and drain (seafoam)
    -oil pan gasket replaced
    -new oil and oil-filter
    -trans fluid drained and refilled with Redline MT fluid
    -airfilter
    -new valve cover gasket
    -new breather valve for the valve-cover
    -coolant flush and drained
    -new coolant flange (front of the head w/ the two sensors)
    -coolant refilled with G11/distilled water
    -improperly-wired LED's being used for gauge cluster (people are effin' retarded) removed (see pics)
    -removed at least 100 feet of misc useless improperly installed wires (possible amp and stereo wiring )
    -installed new gauge cluster lights and repaired the HVAC panel light
    -repaired speaker terminals (wire side)and hooked them up properly
    -removed the halfassed 3-point seatbelt swap and installed the proper seatbelts
    -sealed up the taillights (were leaking water into the trunk)
    -removed stupid painted headlights and grill
    -installed new headlights, new bulbs, and a grill that came with the car.
    -removed the retarded foglights and the ghetto ass wiring connected to them
    -remounted the horn (previous previous owner is a ruhtard) (see pic)
    -installed a new headlight switch
    -found a fusebox cover and put it in
    -degreased and washed the engine (mainly to spot leaks, if any happen)
    -installed a weighted mk3 shift bar
    -repaired and prepped the stereo wiring for when I source a headunit
    -removed the hacked up Euro plate.
    -installed the pass door trim

Things left to do:

-replace AC plug (near rad fan relay) AC lines still had pressure, so thats a good sign. I plan on making the AC actually work in this car
    -front/rear wheel bearings. They really aren't that bad, don't start making noise til' about 60mph
    -put in a headliner
    -new battery and battery terminals. The current battery is still good, but it is not the proper batterym and the terminals are hagard as hell.
    -find a headunit for a decent price and install it. (I may just use the Kenwood from my coupe project)
    -clean up the paint (it has runs and some flaws from a respray in the past)
    -put in some new carpet

Future plans:

-****in' lower it!
    -change up the front end (maybe some form of rounds or what ever she likes)
    -POSSIBLE performance stuff. Exhaust and intake at the most, if it even happens.
    -TT short shifter
    -possibly change up the bumper lights, taillights, and the banana lights.

All in all, its a nice, clean, and reliable car. It is meant to be a daily for my wife's very small commute to work and random errands. Anyway, most of you probably wont read this, so I will just post pics and possible descriptions for some.

Trunk full of some of the maintenance parts and a box full of random **** from the PO

Engine before I touched it

Doin' work (check out some of that awesome wiring I was talking about)

What the hell??

halfassed 3-point swap..

New coolant flange

More awesome wiring..

this was a "bypass) for the seatbelt switch..

Starting the removal of the halfassed 3-point swap.. Stupid ass thing was stripped..

was able to removed it with my drill..
    Here is the seatbelt overhaul finished.. (I didn't take many pics while swapping out parts)

Dash wiring all repaired and buttoned up..

Front end all cleaned up (not washed )

Engine bay all cleaned up..

And here is a few shots of my 87' Coupe project and my 86' Daily for ****s and giggles:
    Daily:

Project: I dont have any recent shots of the boday and don't mind the whack stance

Annnnddd because I was bored (my sons hotwheels haha)

Probably won't be a whole lot of consistant updates, but there will be updates as they happen. (stuff other than maintenance)

7/10/2010
    Well my daily took a ****. So, over the course of the last couple weeks I've been stripping it. I couldn't let the suspension in my old daily go to waste, so my wife's golf got a slight make-over; I daily this car right now, until my coupe is done. I am debating on keeping this for myself, because we are getting a new car in a couple months for the wife. This car was meant to be a temp to last for a few months til' we got her a mk4. The more and more I drive it, the more I want to keep it. Pics:

I feel that it is craving small euro bumps and a 16v lip..
    As of 11/11/2010
    Few pic's showing it's current status:

This weekend, it will be receiving a slight over-haul. Here is the list of stuff being done:

Heater core
    Head gasket
    Dual outlet exhaust mani
    16v cat
    TT 2.25" cat-back with Dynomax muffler
    New foam on blend-doors
    Air filter
    Oil filter
    New coil pack (for ****s and giggles) MSD "Blaster Pack"
    276 Cam
    TT adjustable timing gear
    OEM Shifter bar (currently has hacked up bar with MK4 shift boot)

Things to follow this coming winter:

90+ Flares and skirts
    Smoked Aero E-codes
    Relayed halogens (80/100)
    Fogs (OEM style)
    Black Mk4 leather seats
    Black carpet (new sound deadening and insulation)
    Black dash
    Recover door-cards and pillars with Black fabric (possibly vinyl)
    Find headliner and recover it in some form of fabric to suit my wifes personality

Spring time may bring new wheels, not sure yet though. Going to wait and see what $$ looks like at the point.

Oh and I will post progress as it happens this week, I know you all love pictures!
    As of 12/31/2010
    Gave it a face-lift today! Probably going to do the inner lights yellow. Just going to run a standard bulb for now. Once a Relay harness is built/sourced, I will then run 80w/100w's

As of 1/17/2011
    Installed my homemade 9004 to H4 converter pigtail. Then installed my low/high relay harness for the H4's and installed some 55/100 bulbs. Almost as bright as the 8k HID's in my GLi (don't worry they aren't in NA, they are in ecodes.. soon to have relayed halogens too), but no glare. I'm going to toss some 80/100's soon.

Today, I swapped out the shift lever. The PO had cut it down to run a mk4 boot/knob. I hate it, I have to hunch down to drive because the shifter is so short.. Not to mention the boot is haggard. So, I swapped it out with an OE shift lever. While I was at it, I ripped out the ****ty blue carpet and insulation and install nicer black carpet with new insulation. I haven't got a "finished" pic, but here is a pic right after I started:

When I was reinstalling the new shift lever, I installed some new bushings with new grease. Man oh man, it's nice to have a proper height shifter is awesome.

Random shot of the city lights in action:
    As of 1/26/2011
    Installed my homemade 9004 to H4 converter pigtail. Then installed my low/high relay harness for the H4's and installed some 55/100 bulbs. Almost as bright as the 8k HID's in my GLi (don't worry they aren't in NA, they are in ecodes.. soon to have relayed halogens too), but no glare. I'm going to toss some 80/100's soon.

Today, I swapped out the shift lever. The PO had cut it down to run a mk4 boot/knob. I hate it, I have to hunch down to drive because the shifter is so short.. Not to mention the boot is haggard. So, I swapped it out with an OE shift lever. While I was at it, I ripped out the ****ty blue carpet and insulation and install nicer black carpet with new insulation. I haven't got a "finished" pic, but here is a pic right after I started:

When I was reinstalling the new shift lever, I installed some new bushings with new grease. Man oh man, it's nice to have a proper height shifter is awesome.
    Did the timing belt, alt belt, ac/coolant pump belt, new upper/lower rad hoses, new rad, new timing belt tensioner, and a new air filter. Big thanks to my friend Jesse for lending me his garage space and air tools to get the job done in 6 hours.

Do work:

Starting:

After:

New belts are always a plus

Next up is motor mounts. Than it will be getting some injectors (rebuilt or new), new fuel lines (soft rubber ones), fpr (944), and possibly a fuel rail. Stock one might just have to suffice for a while. I would like to chip it as well.
    As of 3/4/2011

Well, the tables have turned and opportunities have been taken.

The Golf is now mine, as we just bought a better car to suit my wife (she prefers automatics ). My project car has been fully backed out of, off it will go soon! We ended up finding a 1991 Tornado Jetta Gl Automatic with 104k miles on it. Clean title, no rust, no frame damage, and only missing a bumper. It was owned by a 65 year old lady who no longer needed it. A plus side, was finding service records dating back to 1999 with the PO name on all the receipts! I'll start a thread on that, once a substantial amount of work has been completed.

Now, back on topic. Now that the Golf is mine the fun has begun..

Traded my 6-spoke wheels to my wife's new car (she likes them better than the steelies). I don't mind, the steelies don't look all that bad. Here is a list of the stuff done since it's mine now (none of this was planned, as it was going to be my wifes car). If you understand whats been done, you'll know why it wasn't done while the car was my wifes. :o

- legit deletion of the vibration dampener (not just removing the block, but the brackets as well)
    - pressure washed, sanded, primed, and undercoated subframe
    - control arm brace (ebay)
    - poly urethane control arm bushings
    - 23mm solid sway bar w/ poly bushings at the subframe and endlinks
    - Brand new G60 trans mount, New early-style rear-motor mount w/ poly insert, and a new solid rubber front motor mount
    - Finally install my Rokkor coilovers
    - New fuse box installed (other one was screwed up, load reduction relay wasn;t working properly and heating up)
    - LED license plate lights

The thing is stiff as **** and fun as hell to drive Vibrates like a mofo, but doesn't bother me none

Here's what's happening in the near future:

- AC delete
    - lightweight IS sprocket (I have one, just isn't installed yet)
    - Fab a catch can
    - Mod a CIS Big-Bore intake to work with the Digi air-box
    - Clean and recharge my K&N drop-in filter
    - install grey/black doorcards
    - dye the rear parcel tray and speaker covers black
    - install Recaro's
    - source and install a grey back seat (unless I can find a GTi Recaro back seat)
    - install Audi gauges into center consol
    - install armrest
    - 10.1" front brake/GLi rear disk conversion (cross-drilled rotors with EBC pads )
    - alignment
    - Mod rear wiper to lay flat
    - Possible PS delete, not sure on this one yet..
    - Finish installing Raceland upper strut bar (had to "MOD" it to clear the throttle cable. What do you expect from a $30 part?! )
    - WASH IT!!!!
    - Source 91+ Flares/Skirts = mounting hardware (already have the trim)
    - Yellow-glass balloons to fit over my H4 bulbs

Thinking about switching to small chrome-stripe bumps with a 16v lip.. Thoughts?

Still alot of work to do, but it's on its way. It's no show stopper, but it's a fun little car and I love the little bastard!

Here is a ****ty cell pic of it's current state, plus it hasn't been washed/detailed in months!

Big thanks to boostidbastid for helping me work on this thing the other weekend!
    As of 4/20/2011

DubSaints

As of 4/20/2011

Polished her Jetta yesterday, since it was decent weather. This was the first hit on polishing it. Next time I will use some clay bar. Not a bad looking rig considering we are less than $1k into this car :o , including the cost. When the oil change is due, it will get the head gasket and timing belt done.

Here are the pics:

Here is how it looked when we first got it, minus the wheels.

Eventually we want to get some half-smoked tails, yellow fogs, smoked e-codes (relayed halogens of course ), badge-less grill, and a upper grill spoiler.

C&C Welcome.
    And here is the thread I started for the Golf, so I could document progress on it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-1990-Golf-4dr

As of 4/20/2011
    Ever since this became mine, used to be my wife's, I've been working at it slowly. If you want the back story on the whole thing, read this -> http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-Wife-s-Daily.

Now that the major maintenance that makes it a reliable driver is done, it's time to start focusing on the fun stuff. All while working with a small budget, since the wife and I daily mk2's (we all know have finicky they can be).

Here are the stats as of now:

1990 VW Golf 4dr with 142k miles

Exterior
    - quad-rounds with relayed harness for high/low beans (also have yellow H4 bulbs for the outters)
    - city lights
    - big bumpers (going small soon)
    - "rolled" fenders front/rear with trimmed flares

Wheels/tires
    - Prime 5-spoke wheels (relatively light) 15" x 7" offset unknown, but they fill the fenders nicely
    - Khumo Ectsa 8 195/50R15's

Suspension/brakes
    - Rokkor Tuning coilovers
    - deleted vibration dampener from sub-frame
    - 23mm solid front sway bar
    - all front sub-frame/sway bar bushings are poly-urethane
    - front upper strut bar (bar itself isn't in, but mounts are)
    - control arm brace
    - DIY rear strut bar
    - deleted power steering (using the loop)
    - stock brakes for now. (I have some cross-drilled 10.1" fronts and cross-drilled rear discs to put on)

Engine/trans
    - 276 cam
    - TT adjustable cam gear
    - TT lightweight intermediate-shaft gear
    - AC deleted (with appropriate pulleys installed)
    - GTi dual outlet mani w/ downpipe
    - 16v cat
    - TT cat-back exhaust w/ Dynomax muffler (muffler is going soon)
    - Bosch 8mm plug wires
    - Bosch 3-prong plugs
    - MSD Blaster Coil 2 (****ing thing can spark! Holy crap, haha)
    - gutted airbox (not cut or "swiss-cheesed"
    - shifter system rebuilt with all new bushings
    - mk3 weighted shift bar
    - TT short-throw arm
    - early style rear motor mount w/ poly insert (the round styled mount)
    - G60 trans mount
    - solid rubber front motor mount

Interior
    - Recaro front seats from a GLi
    - GL gray door-cards (dying my old blue ones black soon, not spray painting them)
    - black parcel tray w/ matching speaker trays
    - black carpet
    - dash pockets instead of knee bar
    - Audi 90 gauges in the center console
    - OEM leather shift knob/boot
    - Euro Polo GT steering wheel
    - smoked Hella delayed dome light w/ 9-LED panel light

There is probably more, I'm just forgetting.

Here are some updated pictures of the Golf:

Engine bay isn't pretty, but functional. (I'm sourcing new timing belt covers)

It's nothing special, but I love the crap out of this thing. It's such a blast to drive and handles pretty damn good. Everything I get for this is on the cheap, but I make sure and get things done right. The term "built, not bought" really comes into play here. Let me know what you think. or C&C Welcome.

I have way more plans for it, time and funds are a factor of course.
    Here we are almost a year later and 10,000 miles later. Even though both cars are worked on with a budget, we enjoy the living crap out of these cars. Pretty amazing that both cars were pretty much beaters at first and now could be considered clean, depending on the judging eyes.

C&C welcome and thanks for looking! There will be more progress documented and posted as it happens.

DubSaints

Hell, hell, hell yeah! Good solid work!
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    I would not have even bought a car with a wiring mess like that! You are a brave man!
    Last edited by Mr.Nobody; 2011.04.23 at 23:27 PM.

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Hell, hell, hell yeah! Good solid work!
    Thank you, sir.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mr.Nobody View Post
    I would have even bought a car with a wiring mess like that! You are a brave man!
    Haha, yeah it comes with the territory I suppose. It's few and far between, trying to find a 20+ year old car with unmolested wiring. It blows my mind what people will pass off as acceptable wiring.. haha.

It helps that I'm MECP certified, so wiring doesn't phase me.

Thanks!
    DubSaints

Dubs aints? They fix that sticker yet?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Not sure what that even means.. ?
    DubSaints

Wow man. Way to put in work.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Slow8vJetta; 2011.04.25 at 21:01 PM. Reason: typo
    DubSaints

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    I clicked on this thread with my phone........ uh, yeah it took forever to load.....hehe

Awesome job saving that car!
    I love me some wiring also!

Haha, yeah there are quite a few photos.

Thanks! Wiring used to be the worst thing for me, but now I do it everyday at work. So, it doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I find it calming in some cases.

Few random photo's from the detailing the other day:

DubSaints

awesome stuff!

you reposted this a few times

tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

were you at the Crosshaul Cruise on Saturday? I didn't get to walk around and look at the cars much
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    awesome stuff!

you reposted this a few times
    Yeah, I've noticed that. I'm not even sure how.. ??

were you at the Crosshaul Cruise on Saturday? I didn't get to walk around and look at the cars much
    My wife and I had planned on it, but we didn't end up going. I wish we would have though!
    DubSaints

Maybe I ended up reposting it, due to a subconscious visceral hate of Mk4 shift knobs in Mk2's..

Did a small shoot with my friends EF hatch and my Golf. I'm no pro, but here are a the few I was happy enough to play with:

DSC_0197 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0205 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0206 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0210 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0211 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0228 by kgregorich, on Flickr

DSC_0232 by kgregorich, on Flickr

C&C welcome. On a side note, I can never seem to dial in my ISO or aperture settings correctly.
    DubSaints

I like what youve done with this car. It was great to see it up close. Nice job.

Thank you, sir!
    DubSaints

Haven't updated in a while, so I'll just post up the last few posts from Vortex. To narrow it down, more low, various new lights, door pods/speakers, and burnout shenanigans from Pacific Waterland.

7/28
    Ended up getting some yellow high-beams, so I put them in last weekend. Along with some minty banana lights (reference older pictures to see the differences). Also tried a different conditioner for the black trim, seems to do/look a lot better than the previous stuff. Random craptastic pic from today:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1qgPo4kxR7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Going to put in my red-stripe quad-round grill this weekend, if time allows.

8/17
    Thanks man.

Cell pics from this weekend, since my camera is down..

Put my door speakers/pods in, cut my front arches, spun the coils down as far as I could without interfering with anything else (i.e. tires rubbing everywhere was not an option), and detailed the inside of the car. Smells good in the cab, looks better in the cab with the speaker pods, and I think the way the car sits now is great. Doesn't rub all that much, only at full turn and turn while hitting bumps. Had about 600lbs of people in my car after the lowering job, didn't rub then either.

On with pics:

9/11
    Went to a show that's pretty much local, called Pacific Waterlands. The people that run this show, do an amazing job and it's a blast every year. This year I figured I'd throw the Golf in the burnout contest portion of the show. Bought some cabby wheels with ****ty tires and had some fun!

Who would have thought it would've made this much smoke! Haha. Here are some pics, courtesy of my friend Nick ( Thanks again man!):

And the tires after:

All in all, no damage done. She is a gluten for punishment. I did blow out my valve cover gasket, but bad enough to leak all the time. Stupid cork gaskets..

9/12
    A video of aforementioned burnout shenanigans.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1qgPo4kxR7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Drivers side stop spinning for about 5-10 seconds, then started roasting again.. That's when the massive cloud of smoke kicked in.. hahah

opcorn:opcorn:
    DubSaints

Dang, video wont work. :

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qgPo4kxR7g
    DubSaints

just put [video] tags around the youtube link

I was going to ask if you were at PWL. I didn't get to watch the burn out or anything else since I was sitting next to my car waiting to be judged all day

Ahh, fail on my part!

Waterlands was a blast, although I've heard some crazy things about the judging (referring to the threads on Vortex). To me it just seems that most of the people are just whining, oh well. Neither of our cars are worthy of the actual floor show, but we did put my wife's jetta in the Show n' Shine. Sucks that you didn't get around the show much

The burnout contest was great. I had the smallest, least powered motor out of the five cars the ran. One boosted R32 (built by DJM I think), mk2 vr6, my car (1.8 8v), rabbit truck 16v (the body work on this thing is crazy!), and the dude from DJM's carb'd 16v Rabbit. It was a toss up between my burnout and the R32, the R32 ended up winning. I entered my car just for fun, didn't even expect the burnout to be like that!! After it was over I kept hearing that I should've won, but I don't even care; but I had so much fun/impressed by my car that I don't care.
    DubSaints

Cell shot of the wife's Jetta.

Not bad, considering we are into that car maybe $1,500 (including the purchase of the car).
    DubSaints

Waterlands was a blast, although I've heard some crazy things about the judging (referring to the threads on Vortex). To me it just seems that most of the people are just whining, oh well.
    yeah.. don't ever pay much attention to people who whine about car show judging. It happens after every event, no matter what show or how the judging is done.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    yeah.. don't ever pay much attention to people who whine about car show judging. It happens after every event, no matter what show or how the judging is done.
    and then we tell those people that if they don't like how it happened, help volunteer/judge next year

car's looking better all the time. Didn't get to see you at the show, but then, I didn't get to see anything at the show at all
    -Tyler-

Yeah I've noticed the whining that happens after shows. I don't understand why people can't appreciate the time/effort that goes into those shows. If either of my cars were worthy of showing, I'd put them in the show knowing I have a better chance of not placing than winning an award, I'd be ok with that, it's for fun!

tward, thank you!
    DubSaints

+ Reply to Thread