Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My daily driver/project - 1990 Golf 4dr

Quote: Originally Posted by DowNnOutDubin View Post
    I'm trying to track down a mk3 front brake setup as well. The mk2 seems to fade really bad, has vented fronts and decent pads. I'm still on the fence of upgraded to disc in the back or just refresh my rear drums.
    how old is the fluid?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    I love this thread. I picked up an '87 GLI a little over a month ago, and feel like I know nothing about it. I've only ever worked on Air-cooled, and MkIV to newer.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE NARROW MINDED, OTHERS LIVE IN REALITY ~ EURO-ELITISM

l Arron lSPACE

Quote: Originally Posted by VDubVirus View Post
    I love this thread. I picked up an '87 GLI a little over a month ago, and feel like I know nothing about it. I've only ever worked on Air-cooled, and MkIV to newer.
    did I miss this?
    I know mk2's pretty well, and so do a lot of other people here. Ask away
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    did I miss this?
    srsly, why does it not have it's own thread??
    -Tyler-

Euro-Elitist Moderator VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus has a spectacular aura about VDubVirus's Avatar
    I need an intro class. someone should come over sometime and educate me.

l Arron lSPACE

I need an intro class. someone should come over sometime and educate me.
    well... it looks like I may be heading toward Vancouver on Friday. Are you free that afternoon?

definitely free.

l Arron lSPACE

Normal Member Slow8vJetta will become famous soon enough
    the photos got better
    Haha

Quote: Originally Posted by DowNnOutDubin View Post
    Anytime you want to loan me some garage time I'm cool with that

I'm trying to track down a mk3 front brake setup as well. The mk2 seems to fade really bad, has vented fronts and decent pads. I'm still on the fence of upgraded to disc in the back or just refresh my rear drums.
    Once it's all setup, I'm cool with that. As long as the car is in and out within the same day.
    DubSaints

Thanks man.
    did I miss this?
    For sure. That's one of the reasons forums like this exist, no?
    DubSaints

Quote: Originally Posted by Slow8vJetta View Post
    For sure. That's one of the reasons forums like this exist, no?
    exactly...

no one has an excuse to not post something that has a chance of getting replies here. Nothing is really "on topic" and there's no specific brand allegiance here. We're just friendly local car enthusiasts

I haven't had any specific questions, yet. I'm honestly lost when I look at the Mk2, to be honest. I can find my way around aircooled VWs without a problem, and I've done a lot to my Mk5... I haven't really felt confident to dive into the Mk2 because I don't know what I've got, really.

I did find a great DIY on replacing the vapor barrier on the doors. As soon as I get some plastic, I'll be tackling that so I can get the car in the driveway.

Maybe my own thread is in order.

l Arron lSPACE

President, MK2 Society trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit has a spectacular aura about trip permit's Avatar
    You can use garbage bags for vapor barriers... However I prefer to use the thick painters plastic they lay down on floors or to cover things while painting.

I'm going to pick up some 4 mil or 6 mil vapor barrier from Lowes. It's only $13, and I can use the massive amounts of leftover for other things...

(heading off to start my own thread... haha)

l Arron lSPACE

exactly...

no one has an excuse to not post something that has a chance of getting replies here. Nothing is really "on topic" and there's no specific brand allegiance here. We're just friendly local car enthusiasts
    I haven't had any specific questions, yet. I'm honestly lost when I look at the Mk2, to be honest. I can find my way around aircooled VWs without a problem, and I've done a lot to my Mk5... I haven't really felt confident to dive into the Mk2 because I don't know what I've got, really.

I did find a great DIY on replacing the vapor barrier on the doors. As soon as I get some plastic, I'll be tackling that so I can get the car in the driveway.

Maybe my own thread is in order.
    DubSaints

Holly hell, an update!

Well, a few weeks back my diff decided it wanted to turn into a machining device and sent metal shavings all throughout my trans.

My brake MC decided to go tits up as well. Not to mention my booster would squeak when I let off the pedal.

Since I need to replace the trans, I decided to take care of a few things while I was in there. List of new parts:

- rear main seal
    - pressure plate
    - clutch
    - Eurospec lightened flywheel
    - input shaft seal
    - pushing rod seal and bushing
    - replacement boost (in good condition)
    - new 22mm brake MC

Just when I though I was done and had the damn car back on the ground, I noticed the gear oil leaking out of the flanges. I noticed this while attempting to install the passenger axle. The flange had been swapped at some point. It wasn't a 90mm, but it wouldn't take my 100mm axle. Not to mention, normal CV bolts did not fit.

Meanwhile, stealing my wifes car for daily purposes. This whole ordeal was over the stint of the last couple weeks.. Long story short. I get new axle flange seals and made this to get them off:

Worked like a ****ing charm :o

Got the seals all swapped out and drove my car to work the next day. Only to find that gear oil was still dripping from where the flange was. Leaking an uncalled for amount. Enough to park it for another day, due to not wanting the fluid to completely drain while driving. Come to find out that the leak was coming from the green sleeve from behind the flange.

Let me tell you how fun that was to swap out. No worries though! I managed to swap it out and get it seal nice and tight. Topped the trans off with some Redline MT-90 and no leaks in sight. eace:

Now that whole ordeal is over, I have an appointment to get a new muffler and tip welded in on friday. I'm also picking up a set of side skirts, now I just need the flares ( I already have the thin door trim). Eventually I will get around to putting the Recaro doorcards I bought last month in.. Lol. Not enough time in the day man, I swear.

On a random note, I picked up a Corbeau 3-point and installed it into my drivers seat. Debating on picking up a second for the passenger seat. Some people will bitch that I have now made the back seat useless. The only reason I have a four door, is so it's not a pain in the ass to get my son in the back seat and his seat is in the middle anyway. Besides, I really don't like having people in my back seat.

Enough rambling, I doubt many will read this anyway. So, here is a somewhat up-to-date shot of the POS: :heart:

Until next time.

DubSaints

I could go on for days with the amount of issues I've had with finding a good transmission for my golf, but I'll spare you. Long story short, I got a really good deal on a 9A trans that came with numerous goodies. Along with the trans I got a new throwout bearing, new end cap, and BNIB 80% lock out kit.After installing all those parts, I put the trans in and torqued everything up. All I can say right now is, so far so good! Not to mention it feels like it pulls a little bit better.
    DubSaints

Normal Member Numbersix will become famous soon enough
    020 transmissions, at least in stock form, should be considered dispoasable wear items. It's worth remembering that the 020 design was created initially for a ~1700lb car that was to have max 75hp...by the time we reached 100-140hp heavier Mk2 variants, it was a bit overmatched--especially when the diff rivets were lightened by VW in the early-mid 80's. Ugh.

Indeed. My original trans fell victim to the weak rivets on the diff. Oh well.
    DubSaints

Ended up finding a 9A in great condition. Came with a small plethora of new parts (new throw-out bearing, end cap, BNIB 805 kit from Pelequin, etc.). Got all the new parts installed into it and put in some Redline MT-90. This was a few weeks back and have since not had any issues.. yet.

Well, here is a semi-recent cell shot of my car:

Three days later, while my car was parked at work:

I pretty much watched it happen. A girl where I work backed into my car at about 10mph in a company car. I have filed all the info on my end and I'm still waiting to hear back from the company. I went and got an estimate done, to get an idea. It ended up being $1,651.40 worth of damage. I'm not sure if insurance is going to total it out or if the company is just going to cut me a check. Like I said, I'm still waiting to hear back..

Hopefully some good news comes from this.
    DubSaints

damn, I saw your post on the Facebook VW page. Good luck with getting everything squared away.

l Arron lSPACE

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Well, remember they need to come up with a comparable vehicle to be able to total it. Good luck finding a car like that within 150 miles. Seriously. They will pay if you pressure them hard enough. just dont take some silly settlement number and let your car get totalled. I would also have a some words with the female and ask her how she got out of the kitchen. Or better yet, why were you parking in the kitchen?

damn, I saw your post on the Facebook VW page. Good luck with getting everything squared away.
    Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Well, remember they need to come up with a comparable vehicle to be able to total it. Good luck finding a car like that within 150 miles. Seriously. They will pay if you pressure them hard enough. just dont take some silly settlement number and let your car get totalled. I would also have a some words with the female and ask her how she got out of the kitchen. Or better yet, why were you parking in the kitchen?
    My mom raised me to be nice to women. I've worked around her for about a year and never seen her make any mistakes moving cars, until the day she hit mine. I almost got really mad, but then I saw how upset she looked and I couldn't yell. Instead , the fact that she was on the clock and in a company vehicle made me feel at peace knowing I wont be spending a dime fixing this. Lol.
    DubSaints

I have been told to source comparable vehicles to mine, which will be hard considering its a four-door golf. There aren't too many around these parts.
    DubSaints

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Just find the nicest examples you can with decent asking prices.

+ Reply to Thread