monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: My daily driver/project - 1990 Golf 4dr

Normal Member Slow8vJetta will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    I was referring more to you getting tired of it

Well that depends on if it want's to actually behave and stop giving me problems..

God damned car is testing my patience..

Either bad axle(s) or bad bearing/hub on the drivers side..
    DubSaints

old cars man.. can't really escape it. My M3 is going to be constant and it's 5 years newer
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Ah yes, I don't envy you and your inevitable amounts of (spendy) maintenance. Yeah, I just keep my head up and power through it. If I give up now, I will kick myself in the ass later. I love this car.
    Last edited by Slow8vJetta; 2012.10.04 at 20:47 PM. Reason: poor word choice, lol.
    DubSaints

Nothing new. Just small issues piling up until I feel like getting to them. For example, I haven't opened my drivers side rear door since mid July. Why? Simple, it won't open. I need to get the vapor barrier done on the pass front door, need to find the leak in my hatch, need to pull the carpet to seal the floors, need to install sound deadener, need to install new insulation, blah blah. I have all the shit laying around to do this, just no motivation. For now it runs and drives great. I'm leaving it at the for a little bit. Lol.

Random photo from a family trip to a pumpkin patch (my son loves that place!)

DubSaints

hatch leak is usually tail light seals... that's easy
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Normal Member Numbersix will become famous soon enough
    The rear door--if the handle is failing, sometimes pushing in on it hard and then attempting to open will be sufficient unless the metal is totally broken.

I assumed he was familiar with mk2 door handles. Anyone who has had a mk2 long enough should be

removing the screws and then retightening them can help too

Regular Member DowNnOutDubin is on a distinguished road DowNnOutDubin's Avatar
    Kyle I recently took my door handles off and cleaned them out with brake clean and a nylon brush. Touched up all the moving/touching mechanical parts with some moly grease (had some graphite in it as well) and now it works almost like new.. Next I'm planning on pulling apart the part that hits the striker; to clean, re-lube, and reposition next.

Maybe next spring we can get together for some pictures! By that time I hopefully can track down that last remaining flare I'm looking for and get some polish and wax on it. I'm always open to snapping some rolling shots also if Shana wants to drive
    Last edited by DowNnOutDubin; 2012.11.08 at 14:37 PM.

My latches are fine, the issue is the strikers/handles; they are old/worn out. I'm going to order all new strikers. I need to buy a new handle and latch for the drivers-rear door before I attempt to get that thing open. Haha!

Numbersix, I appreciate the input, but joel is correct. I'm aware of the stupid little quirks these cars have, bot my first rodeo

Nick, I'm always down for some shooting. Dirty or clean as hell, I'm, always down. I'll get Shana's mk2 all polished up and have her come along, so we can use her for rolling shots

On a side note, I've made some inquiries with some local, reputable people (also VW enthusiasts) about body work and paint. Hopefully things can be put in motion soon.
    DubSaints

Was the other parties fault. Dude pulled in front of me and stopped, causing me to t-bone him. My wife and four year old were in the car, but everyone is home and safe.

DubSaints

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    Glad everyone is ok. Still very disheartening though Hope dudes insurance pays up! Looks like a $3500 car to me

A Somebody Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody is a jewel in the rough Mr.Nobody's Avatar
    Glad everyone is ok!

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Ouch, ditto on everyone being ok!

Thanks guys. I'm hoping there isn't any structural damages, so I can rebuild. Fortunately, I have an eye witness on my side. So this who thing should go smoothly. I'm just glad my family is ok.
    DubSaints

the front rails are probably a bit bent... same with the areas under the fenders. But you might be able to get it back together. Good luck!
    Last edited by joel; 2012.12.17 at 18:47 PM.

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    the critical point to look for is in the raintray between the firewall portion of the raintray engine side and the firewall portion on the dashboard side. If there is any buckling there, you will need the frame pulled.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Yikes! I'm glad everyone is ok. Hopefully the insurance payout will be good.

+ Reply to Thread