monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 21 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread: The 82 caddy

I'm down. Be cool to see the show from up above as it was blowing soot and tire smoke.

everyone probably knows me by now girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood has a spectacular aura about girdwood's Avatar
    Coming along great! One question I had while browsing the thread, though...

Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    I'm thinking this might be an issue with mine as well... what did you use to clear out all the old goop before applying the new seam sealer?

i went at it with a variety of things... small screwdriver, xacto, dental picks... clean it as clean as you can get. seal that sucker good then prime over it immediately. your lower seams are most likely the cause though.

placeholder doppelfaust will become famous soon enough doppelfaust's Avatar
    I'd love an AAZ in my Fox. Are you doing anything besides keeping an eye on the crank pulley to remedy the wobble problem? That's my one fear with the 1.9 AAZ if I were to track down a swap...

i have the wobble, but I'm going to start with a new pulley first.
    these are early rubber lined harmonic dampening pullies, so I'm sure that soft rubber is a component of the wobbling issue.

from the dealer the pulleys are like $350 but I've found them for $100.

if i ever have the unit rebuilt, I will def do the crank mod.

placeholder doppelfaust will become famous soon enough doppelfaust's Avatar
    I'm surprised you can do a swap like this in CA. Most CA natives make it sound like it's impossible to swap a motor on a vehicle.

I'm really jealous of how this truck is turning out. I wish it was easier to track down TDs.

swapped the glow plugs last night. man those #1 and #2 are a bitch to get at.

Quote: Originally Posted by doppelfaust View Post
    I'm surprised you can do a swap like this in CA. Most CA natives make it sound like it's impossible to swap a motor on a vehicle.
    it's not.. they just make it more difficult
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

there's one key to it all in california: pre-OBD diesels are 100% exempt from all emissions testing
    there were no standards, its too late to retrofit, there aren't that many on the road, and it's always been that way.

I've talked about this with a few of you. I slapped it together last night. Input?
    I need to clean up that one tiny spot at the bottom of the gasket.

before

after

you really like being obscure.. don't you

from what I can tell there the truck has been painted black right below the canopy?
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    I think it looks good. Should offer some rub protection from the canopy too.

its not obscure, it's details. glad you noticed.

I said you are being obscure.. didn't say the details are obscure

you're wearing me out.

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    Don't worry... I spotted the differences rather quickly, without being told.

you're wearing me out.
    You have to understand that I over analyze. I look at every possible detail and usually miss obvious things as a result. I was literally comparing screws in the photos. The photos being from opposite sides made it even worse for me. It's not that I miss details.. it's that I often catch more details than were ever intended.. and then I get confused about what you actually wanted us to see.

I won't say anything else.. I don't want to annoy you.

I did the other side to match.

Joel, don't sweat it, it just that we see things differently. You think/communicate like my engineers and developers. I do have to remember who my audience is, too.

You can see in the 'before' photo where the paint is inconsistent below the B pillar and over the rear arch. Trying to lay tape down over that spot was a chore. There's a very slight low spot under that repaired paint.

I wonder what happened? The repair looks to be very old. Ty, any ideas?

Joel, don't sweat it, it just that we see things differently. You think/communicate like my engineers and developers. I do have to remember who my audience is, too.
    my assumption is that you don't really want me to list off every difference I see between the photos, so I have to try and figure out what you might have done that you want us to see

well, consider this. I'm a visual, creative person. If I throw out there a 'before' and 'after' it's *NOT* going to be something like screws or other technicalities. It's gonna be something different.

yeah.. that's why I determined that it must be the painted area below the canopy

so I made an interesting observation today after updating my ecomodder for the latest fillup

since july 1 [first logged tank on AAZ]
    not factoring in at LEAST 10% odometer error [in the bad direction...IE the number below is actually 600+ miles too little...]

Total miles traveled: 6015.5
    Total gallons used: 208.44
    Lifetime Fuel Economy: 28.86
    Average cost per gallon: $4.27
    Average cost per mile: $0.15

compare this to the 330cic's average cost per mile of of $.23...
    and how the numbers would go if I drove it the same:

every 10k miles costs me $1100 less in fuel alone vs the E46 therefore in 30k miles I will have paid for my entire drivetrain swap!
    at the current trend, that'll take me 5*6 = 30 months which is only 3 years. in 5 years I will have covered all of my investment into the truck.

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Thank you for that. It's about the only reason I even bothered with the Rabbit. And I'm getting MUCH better fuel economy than you.

I did some variance checking on the way back from waterlands and I determined that I was reading an easy 10% low on the odometer. That will make quite a bit of difference calculating MPGs.
    Also, I drive the piss out of the car and rarely ever do freeway runs. Check the plot... you can see quite easily my road trip for waterlands!

this popped up in conversation at another place. stock much? so nice!

if anyone knows where there's a wheel like one of these floating around, lemme know.

+ Reply to Thread