Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 29 ... LastLast

Thread: The 82 caddy

everyone probably knows me by now Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl has a spectacular aura about Iroczgirl's Avatar
    Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    How about a clean side shot? I think the pinstripes are going to have to go.
    I agree. Remove the pinstripes and add a border to the faux wood.

yeah I'm considering what the next move will be. I might fake up a border, someone even suggested a black border. at least it proves to me that i dont hate it.

so we had our first big rain and i didnt drive the truck and the passenger floor is wet. bed drains are now ruled because of the bedliner. thoughts? rear window seal? hmmmm.

so yesterday I go to drive home from work and the truck wont start. glows fine, has plenty of juice. turn the key to start, nothing.
    so, I check and sure enough the solenoid wire has come off the back of the starter.

no big deal.

put it back, still no start. thoughts?

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    'still no start', but cranking now?
    -Tyler-

nope. no cranky. i'll short out the starter this evening to test that part of the circuit.

(⌐■_■)
    twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw is just really nice twardnw's Avatar
    The ignition switch is probably original, it may have died
    -Tyler-

whats weird though is that the wire on the solenoid was off, which would create this situation.
    now that it's back on, it still doesnt work right.

time to get out the test light tonight.

properly switched 12v at the solenoid trigger wire
    shorting the solenoid trigger input to the 12v at the starter body yields nothing

the starter or solenoid is bad. bummer.
    nice thing is, they're not expensive... less than $100.

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Wack it with a hammer.

(⌐■_■)
    damn, that blows, I even replaced the starter in 2008, and it's not like it saw heavy use
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
    Wack it with a hammer.
    did that. no luck.

Blast it with piss?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    battery cables and grounds have good connectivity? If the starter is a PMGR style, do NOT hit it with a hammer. You may ruin it and find that it was not the starter in the first place...

yes everything is in order electrically. i have some time so I'll investigate a little deeper but even shorting the solenoid to the hot side with a bf screwdriver netted not even a *click* or a spark

make car go faster guy Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v is a jewel in the rough Rabbit 16v's Avatar
    power and ground are verified present at the starter itself? Remember the ground cable gets all super hidey under the airbox so you might not be able to see it..

yes this engine has lots of quality grounding. in fact, I'll make a modification I wanted to make anyhow.

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    power and ground are verified present at the starter itself? Remember the ground cable gets all super hidey under the airbox so you might not be able to see it..
    what's the grounding cable doing up by the intake manifold?
    -Tyler-

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    yes this engine has lots of quality grounding. in fact, I'll make a modification I wanted to make anyhow.
    find one of the fancy starter bolts that is double-ended, for attaching a ground to
    -Tyler-

Quote: Originally Posted by twardnw View Post
    what's the grounding cable doing up by the intake manifold?
    do you mean the braided cable that goes to the valve cover from the coil?

(⌐■_■)
    what coil?
    -Tyler-

Regular Member benny_mech will become famous soon enough
    Quote: Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    so we had our first big rain and i didnt drive the truck and the passenger floor is wet. bed drains are now ruled because of the bedliner. thoughts? rear window seal? hmmmm.
    It's a Mk1, therefore the windshield seal leaks. Rob (75 rusty) told me this once, to which I replied, "mine doesn't leak, the winshield and seal are brand new". It started leaking 20 minutes later, I $hit you not.

what coil?
    Lol! Forgot about that little detail...

(⌐■_■)
    Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbit 16v View Post
    Lol! Forgot about that little detail...
    -Tyler-

find one of the fancy starter bolts that is double-ended, for attaching a ground to
    ya or the bellhousing

+ Reply to Thread