Fine Tuning 1 - 728x90

monthly amount

why donate?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The PNW Fishing Thread

it is hard to juggle my phone and snap a pic quickly while trying to release these treasures safely back to the water, but my guess, the Cutthroat posted above that i caught was around 14-15", not sure on weight though. enough to make my eight foot pole bend that is for sure!

Yesterday I spent a better part of the day hiking along a new to me stretch that i hadn't explored before. What a magical afternoon it proved to be! Nearly every other cast or so I was getting a hard strike and bringing another one. What a riot! Caught everything but the kitchen sink, small fry sized trout to good healthy and fat trout but decided to let each and everyone go safely, i have done alright this year so it was more just for the experience than anything. what an awesome day.
    i am an apex predator and hatchery zombies are my target

the view i had while fishing yesterday.
    tons of blue herring, hawks and the occasional eagle flew by.
    craptastic cell phone pic ftw

The past two Sundays have been spent out on the river, and man am i having a blast!
    This time of year, especially if your focusing on trout or steelhead, you HAVE to be throwing a spinner, preferably a dressed one.
    Reading the currents, depths, and water correctly can pay off big time and you can find yourself in thick runs of fish, as I did these past two weekends, catching almost twenty fish in two days. (all released) Another benefit to tossing a spinning lure is no need for messy smelly bait. if you get the correct action down and allow your lure to dance along the bottom few feet of water they are going to nail your lure hard. i will not be using bait again until the spring time when the bite turns back up, for now, the spinning lures that are dressed are more than getting the job done. steelhead are starting to run through our local river systems, hoping to hook into one before there is snow on the ground, finger crossed for a big old 12 lb native!

example of dressed lure:

was able to head out to the lake for about an hour today for some fishing and testing a new lure and see how it fared.
    needless to say, the fishing was red hot!
    here is a pic of one of the keepers, measuring at a stout 17 1/2"
    today was also a first for me, caught two fish on my first two casts of the day! too cool!!!

getting the hang of this new lure im trying out, seems to be working rather well id say

had an hour to kill this morning, fifteen minutes later after starting my fishing i had these on shore

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Wow that is quite the haul!
    Looks like youre having a bunch of fun with your non-car related hobby!

don't know if I could be outside so much in this cold
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!
    PNWfahren Facebook Page - forum rules - FAQ - forum tips - what's new?

Quote: Originally Posted by joel View Post
    don't know if I could be outside so much in this cold

my line of work really helps me out on dealing with that a lot. if im not outside, im in a giant freezer basically, a cold storage room that never see's temps above 32 degrees. you start to just get immune to it after a while. still would be a good idea to remember to pick up some good gloves before i go out again, brrrrr

11-14
    @ Dog Lake (next to white pass)

Trout up to 28" were stocked in one of my favorite selective gear lakes, stay tuned...

been around the block a few times unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken has a spectacular aura about unimogken's Avatar
    Dang that's huge!

Has this become an ice fishing thread yet?
    I make pretty stuff
    www.twelvizm.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
    Has this become an ice fishing thread yet?

Depends on location right now, out at Elton lake its totally frozen over (where i got my last pile of fish) but not thick enough for me to risk walking out on it. Myron lake has yet to freeze over as it has a constant fresh current being dumped into it from the Yakima River, in some spots this lake has depths of over 200', and its in a little bit warmer spot then Elton. I wouldn't be surprised though with the temps we have been having of a high in the 30s it may start to freeze. at night its getting down to 14-16 on the regular. fingers crossed it doesn't freeze for a bit, this is one of the only options i have to fish every day until April.

Twitching jigs under a slip bobber for these big brooders and triploids if anyone is curious. kind of boring in comparison to throwing spinners but with the colder water temps, they are a bit more sluggish so i should be able to hookup with a good one using this method.

Mother Nature is quite the artist.

hah.. that's quite cool
    tell all of your local car enthusiast friends where the best place is to meet other local enthusiasts!

Success! really made posting a video hard on myself.....haha

My buddy mentioned this movie to me today I think we might go to it.
    http://www.flyfishingfilmtour.com/sc...-schedule1.asp

Sunday:

Woke up around 3am, made coffee, got my gear all packed up in my Jeep, out the door by 3:45am headed to the Snake River in search of Steelhead. Got to the section I wanted to start at and threw out my first cast of the day right at first light. Maybe an hour and a half later i got two hard hits and watched my bobber disappear under the water, went to set up on it and lost them both. Damn.

About two hours later about a hundred yards further down, third or forth cast out another slamming hit, bobber down, set hook, FISH ON! fought it for about ten minutes, which felt like an eternity.

finally got it up close to the bank, tailed it, removed my single barbless hook from its mouth, got out my tape measure quickly and it measured out to 38" in length x 18" in girth. The big guy was still thrashing a bit so I released it quickly as possible after get my measurements. My biggest fish ever!

It was a native so it was released without removing it from the water or putting it in my net. Off it swam in a hurry away from me to go make more and do its thing. I fished for another 30 minutes or so and left with a huge sh*t eating grin. my estimation is it was roughly 15-16lbs. What a day!!!
    Last edited by Amsterdam087; 2012.03.13 at 10:17 AM.

Came home to a happy wife, caught some fish this weekend that ate amazing.

Limited out in just over an hour.

Mmmmmmmm, garlic butter

Filleted up nicely

Frying up!

Cooked up some fresh veggies and rice, so damn good...

I am the president of the clean plate club

A first for me, limited out during my lunch break, i have caught my limit before but never two days in a row, or on my lunch for that matter! Going to have to dust off the smoker!

yuck

everyone probably knows me by now buddylove is a jewel in the rough buddylove is a jewel in the rough
    yum! Hoping to go fishing at least once this year.

+ Reply to Thread